Linux support in the future?

Linux support in the future?

Hi,

I mainly use Linux in my everyday work, Windows is only for my "fun" developments.
Are there plans to port Parallel Studio to Linux, at least the parallel Debugger Extension? An integration to Eclipse would help centralize everything in one IDE. I use TotalView at the moment, and although it is great, there is not real integration inside Eclipse (for instance setting breakpoints inside the Eclipse views, and that's really annoying).

Another question is the support of multi-process programs, like MPI-aware ones. Is there anything on the Parallel Studio roadmap?

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
For more complete information about compiler optimizations, see our Optimization Notice.

Hi Matthieu,

Good question, and thanks for the interest.We already have products for Linux*, Mac OS X*, and Windows* that fully support these operating systems and also offer portability across these operating systems.

The new Intel Parallel Studio is focused specifically on extending Microsoft Visual Studio* on Windows* and offering new innovations in ease of use for adding parallelism. Many of these innovations will be available in our other products in the future as well.

Developers for Linux and Apple* will find that our current products for Linux and Mac OS X* are worth looking at today and already support parallelism better than other tools available for Linux and Mac OS X. You can be the judge-evaluation copies of Intel Software Products available today can be downloaded for a free 30-day trial at http://www.intel.com/software/products/eval.

Hope the above helps. Please let me know if you still need any other info.

Regards,
Kittur

That's good news!

Quoting - Kittur Ganesh (Intel)
Developers for Linux and Apple* will find that our current products for Linux and Mac OS X* are worth looking at today and already support parallelism better than other tools available for Linux and Mac OS X. You can be the judge-evaluation copies of Intel Software Products available today can be downloaded for a free 30-day trial at http://www.intel.com/software/products/eval.

We already use the C++ and Fortran compilers, as well as MKL and IPP on our main cluster (MPI does not work well though, and besides it is always better to use the MPI library provided with the cluster, it should be correctly tuned).
We may use in the future other tools (like Thread Checker), but as we mainly use OpenMP and MPI, their need is not obvious (and for Thread Checker, the need for the Widnows version to have a nice view of the result make it impossible to use, as Windows is not our development platform).
And perhaps the parallel debugger as well.

Quoting - matthieubrucher

We already use the C++ and Fortran compilers, as well as MKL and IPP on our main cluster (MPI does not work well though, and besides it is always better to use the MPI library provided with the cluster, it should be correctly tuned).
We may use in the future other tools (like Thread Checker), but as we mainly use OpenMP and MPI, their need is not obvious (and for Thread Checker, the need for the Widnows version to have a nice view of the result make it impossible to use, as Windows is not our development platform).
And perhaps the parallel debugger as well.

Hi Matthieu,

Our 11.0 Linux Compiler Professional product contains a debugger (IDB) with full Eclipse RCP based GUI, that supports many of the parallel extension features from IntelParallel Studio for IA-64 and Intel64. Additionally it also provides very advanced thread and thread group specific runtime control. Additional improvements will be coming for Compiler Pro 11.1 which are being implemented as I write!

We suggest that you try our Linux product and let us know if it meets your needs, which I suspect it should since you mention you wanted a lot of the features available in our parallel debugger extension in the Studio. Please visit our Intel Registration Center for information on all the available products related to Linux that you can register and download for evaluation purposes too. Let me know if you need any more information.

Wewould also be interested in learning from you any other product feature enhancements that would help accomplish your objectives. Appreciate your feedback, as always.

-regards,
Kittur

Quoting - Kittur Ganesh (Intel)

Hi Matthieu,

Our 11.0 Linux Compiler Professional product contains a debugger (IDB) with full Eclipse RCP based GUI, that supports many of the parallel extension features from IntelParallel Studio for IA-64 and Intel64. Additionally it also provides very advanced thread and thread group specific runtime control. Additional improvements will be coming for Compiler Pro 11.1 which are being implemented as I write!

We suggest that you try our Linux product and let us know if it meets your needs, which I suspect it should since you mention you wanted a lot of the features available in our parallel debugger extension in the Studio. Please visit our Intel Registration Center for information on all the available products related to Linux that you can register and download for evaluation purposes too. Let me know if you need any more information.

Wewould also be interested in learning from you any other product feature enhancements that would help accomplish your objectives. Appreciate your feedback, as always.

-regards,
Kittur

Hi,

Sorry I didn't have the time to answer before :|

I had some issues with idb (well, gdb seems to crash less often than idb :|). As I already use the Intel compilers in my everyday work, I'll try to test the debugger again ;)

Oops, I missed a reply too. Firstly, nice to know you use our tools often, thanks much. Also, please please feel free to attach a small reproducer if need be to this thread if you have an issue that can be reproduced, so I can file the issue with our developers, appreciate much.

-regards,
Kittur

Leave a Comment

Please sign in to add a comment. Not a member? Join today