Profile Remote Process?

Profile Remote Process?

I can't find any way to monitor process i'm running in my test VMs. Is this supported or do i have to install Visual Studio & Parallel Studio in those virtualized environments?

Thanks,
Adam

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
For more complete information about compiler optimizations, see our Optimization Notice.

Quoting - MrAnderson (Intel)
Intel Parallel Amplifier has no special support for virtual environments. And, it unless you have a profiler designed especially for the VM you are running on, it makes little sense to profile on a VM.

But, to answer your original question, yes, you would need to run the Amplifier within the VM to profile an application that is run in the VM.

Good point that profiling in a VM is somewhat pointless. I'm mainly trying to ensure the correctness of the parallelized pieces of my code and to troubleshoot issues. For performance profiling i typically use a ghosted machine. The fact remains that i do most of my testing and debugging by attaching t processes on remote computers. It would be nice to have support for installing a remote agent on the target machine and not having to install the entire IDE.

Thanks!
Adam

Best Reply

Intel Parallel Amplifier has no special support for virtual environments. And, unless you have a profiler designed especially for the VM you are running on, it makes little sense to profile on a VM.

But, to answer your original question, yes, you would need to run the Amplifier within the VM to profile an application that is run in the VM.

Regards,
MrAnderson

Thanks, Adam. I've submitted a feature request for this capability.

I'd be very interested in hearing from others that think this would be a valuable feature. Anyone else use this work paradigm?

Thanks in advance!

Regards,
MrAnderson

Thanks, Adam. I've submitted a feature request for this capability.

I'd be very interested in hearing from others that think this would be a valuable feature. Anyone else use this work paradigm?

Thanks in advance!

Hi MrAnderson,

I would like to have the same feature for parallel studio. As in Visual Studio remote debugging is possible, it would be great if remote profiling and inspecting is possible with parallel studio.

Thanks!

Thanks, anirudh. I guess "remote" may be a confusing term in this thread. I wonder if you saw that we were really talking about profiling processes running on guest OSes in a VM? (Or, perhaps, I didn't completely understand Adam's reply. :-(

However, I can take your feedback to the team. How exactly would you envision the Intel Parallel Amplifier working remotely? For example, I understand that you would want to profile an app running on a remote system. Why would profiling on the local system not work? What is it about the remote that makes it more appealing. In the case of debugging, isn't it that graphics are running on a separate display? Please help me to understand the usage model and need. Thanks!

Regards,
MrAnderson

Thanks, anirudh. I guess "remote" may be a confusing term in this thread. I wonder if you saw that we were really talking about profiling processes running on guest OSes in a VM? (Or, perhaps, I didn't completely understand Adam's reply. :-(

However, I can take your feedback to the team. How exactly would you envision the Intel Parallel Amplifier working remotely? For example, I understand that you would want to profile an app running on a remote system. Why would profiling on the local system not work? What is it about the remote that makes it more appealing. In the case of debugging, isn't it that graphics are running on a separate display? Please help me to understand the usage model and need. Thanks!

MrAnderson

I work for a company making measurement and test instruments. The configuration of these machines is very different from our development machines. Also these instruments also have much different hardware. So while debugging code, we run the debugger remotely. I would like to do the same for profiling.

I am open to the idea of installing a small subset of files to enable profiling the instrument. But installing the whole IDE on the instrument would be cumbersome and almost impossible to be done on every model variation we have.

Thanks for taking up the idea to your development team.

Anirudh

It sounds like an embedded type product. Is that correct? At this time, we don't have any intention of supporting embedded devices and, thus, the lack of remote capabilities.

Are there any other reasons that remote profiling would be needed? Other than non-PC devices?

Thanks

Regards,
MrAnderson

Anirudh,

I am wondering if it would help if there a command line on the remote host and if you could collect performance data on the remote host and then visualize the collected data on your local host (assuming it is an x86 machine running a Windows OS on which Intel Parallel Amplifier would otherwise run).

Ravi

Leave a Comment

Please sign in to add a comment. Not a member? Join today