Inspector@Win7, VS9 SP1: "my.exe has stopped working"

Inspector@Win7, VS9 SP1: "my.exe has stopped working"

Hello,

I am using the Parallel Studio Beta latest version (the one updated in March; I installed all but Composer), on Windows 7 x64 with Visual Studio 2008 Professional withSP1 installed.

I am using Amplifier and now Inspector withmy 32-bit C++ "Console" application, which uses 3rdparty DLLs boost_filesystem, boost_iostreams, zlib, expat, tbb (the dependencies are through my own DLLs to which the EXE links). Processor is T7500 (Core 2 Duo 2.2GHz, 2 cores)). The app indeed runs 2 threads (more precisely, tbb::task_scheduler_init::automatic).

I used successfully Amplifier to profile my code (I have run itapprox. 100 times in total, I guess), always worked fine.

Now that I finished improving performance, I wanted to check for correctness with Inspector. I have tried only Memory checking. The result I found is that first check intensity ("Does my target leak memory?") runs fine (and finds 2 memory leaks). But all 3 higher intensity checks (" memory access problems?" and "Where are all the memory problems Inspector can find?") result in the error displayed below, citing that my program (the one I am developing) crashed:

"PunctusPDTBench.exe has stopped working"
"A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available."

I tried running Inspector with "Threading errors" on the highest intensity (level), it worked find (and found no errors).

Could this be caused by running on Windows 7 Beta x64 (the publicly available one)? If not, can I do something to avoid that error?

Thanks,
Boris Duek

EDIT 1: Added hardware info (2nd paragraph)
EDIT 2: Problem happens even when disabling usage of TBB (but not linking to it).

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
For more complete information about compiler optimizations, see our Optimization Notice.

Hello Boris,

Intel Parallel Studio does not support Windows 7 as yet. Please, see the Release Notes for system requirements.
You may be lucky having some of the components functioning on the new OS, but it's not guaranteed and not supported.

-Vladimir

Hello Vladimir,

thanks for your response, indeed Windows 7 is not mentioned as supported OS in the release notes, so I will consider myself lucky, which is a nice thing to consider myself :-)

Leave a Comment

Please sign in to add a comment. Not a member? Join today