Using Parallel Amplifier & Inspector on a network drive

Using Parallel Amplifier & Inspector on a network drive

Hi there.

We are quite happy with Intel Parallel Studio in general, but stumbled upon an issue when using the Amplifier or the Inspector on a network drive. We found out that the analysis fails, if the user "Everyone" does not have "Read & Execute" permissions. If this is not the case, one gets the error message "... is not a vaild executable".On our installation, only the user itself has permissions to read his home directory (mapped network drive H:). By granting these permissions on either the Executable or the Debug directory of a Visual Studio solution for instance, Amplifier and Inspector can be made to work. Another workaround is to copy the executable to a local disc. Using a network drive of course has several advantages over using a local disc, performance for instance.

Kind regards,
Christian terboven@rz.rwth-aachen.de

13 posts / 0 new
Last post
For more complete information about compiler optimizations, see our Optimization Notice.

Hello Christian,

Thanks for letting us know about this issue. We will investigate it and see if we can fix it.

-Vladimir

Hello Christian,

I checked the scenario and found out that I can't reproduce the problem. The same was reported by development team. Could you please elaborate a little bit about your environment?

1. Which access rights the user has regarding server home directory?
2. Permissions are granted to the user or to group that the user belongs to?
3. What kind of OS is installed on the server?
4. Is the user logged on server with his own account or provides user name and password of other user?

Any additional information is appreciated.

-Vladimir

Hi Vladimir.

(1) See the attached PDF file for several screenshots, including the Security Permissions.
(2) User.
(3) Windows Server 2008, 64bit.
(4) Own account.

Kind regards,
Christian

Hi Christian,

Please, check if you have inserted the attachments to the thread (unfortunately, with the forum attachment mechanismit's not enough to add a file to a folder)

-Vladimir

Yes. Thank you.

-Vladimir

I'm just curious, why not providing a user with read & execute access to the binary? How the binary supposed to be executed then?

-Vladimir

Quoting - Vladimir Tsymbal (Intel)

I'm just curious, why not providing a user with read & execute access to the binary? How the binary supposed to be executed then?

This is interesting - although the Execute permission is not explicitly set, I can execute the binary. The permission set as shown in the first screenshot is what Visual Studio sets to a newly created binary (or: what is set by default, due to ACLs maybe). I am not an administrator myself, so I will ask our system group for a comment on this observation.

Christian,

Thanks to your screen shots we reproduced the Amplifier message, which wording is not quite right itself. But it has been confirmed that Amplifier won't execute the binary if read&execute permissions are not set.

I'm really wandering how the binary was executed with such permissions. Were you able to execute it though VS only or through Windows Explorer as well?

-Vladimir

It works well from within Visual Studio as well as from the command line (cmd.exe). I brought this issue to our system group and it is currently under investigation.

We are using a NetApp system to serve user home directories to Windows as well as to Unix. This system is in operation for only a few weeks now, so we might see an issue specific to how we are combining both worlds on our site (ACLs on Windows, user+group+world on Unix). I will update you as soon as I get any news.

Kind regards,
Christian

Our system people changed *something* on the NetApp, I don't know what. Since that, my executable has has Read+Execute permissions. With that change, Parallel Studio is working just fine.

Thank you for your help and bringing the permission issue to my attention.

Kind regards,
Christian

Quoting - Christian Terboven

Our system people changed *something* on the NetApp, I don't know what. Since that, my executable has has Read+Execute permissions. With that change, Parallel Studio is working just fine.

Thank you for your help and bringing the permission issue to my attention.

Kind regards,
Christian

Hi Christian,

Thank you for updating me with that.

-Vladimir

Leave a Comment

Please sign in to add a comment. Not a member? Join today