Unknown Module?

Unknown Module?

I'm trying to run Amplifier with a Half Life 2 mod. I'm building two DLLs as per the instructions in the Amplifier config (/Zi and /DEBUG) and my PDBs are being built correctly.
However, after I run the Profiler, the results simply return most of the time spent in an unknown module. The debugger loads the symbols for my DLLs properly, but it seems that Amplifier doesn't, and I can't figure out what the problem is for the life of me.

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
For more complete information about compiler optimizations, see our Optimization Notice.

Quoting - wraiyth
I'm trying to run Amplifier with a Half Life 2 mod. I'm building two DLLs as per the instructions in the Amplifier config (/Zi and /DEBUG) and my PDBs are being built correctly.
However, after I run the Profiler, the results simply return most of the time spent in an unknown module. The debugger loads the symbols for my DLLs properly, but it seems that Amplifier doesn't, and I can't figure out what the problem is for the life of me.

This might mean that most of the CPU time is spent in the modules that were not complied with debug info. Do you see any other functions that has been resolved in the results? Are you able to re-build the rest of dlls with debug info?

-Vladimir

Quoting - Vladimir Tsymbal (Intel)

This might mean that most of the CPU time is spent in the modules that were not complied with debug info. Do you see any other functions that has been resolved in the results? Are you able to re-build the rest of dlls with debug info?

Yeah, I see several other DLLs there, with functions being resolved. Unfortunately I can't compile any of the other DLLs with debug info and there are no symbols available. Still, my two DLLs (with symbols) arent shown at all, and I know for a fact that alot of time is being spent in them (thats where all the game logic is)

Any fix for this as im getting this as well in the trial. It might be something to do with the fact that the dlls in question showing up as unkowning are not directly loaded by the exe but loaded by a dll that the exe loads.

I.e. exe --> known dll --> unkown dll

Ok i did a bit of playing around with this and worked out that intel parallel studio doesnt follow LoadLibrary calls (which is disapointing).

I made a test program that loads one dll that loads another dll that does some work. If i use the lib files and link directly to each dll parallel studios works fine and produces this result:

However if i use loadlibrary instead of automatic linking it prodcues this result:

Any chance to get ips upgraded to follow loadlibrary calls as its quite useless atm.

Test Solution download

Any chance to get ips upgraded to follow loadlibrary calls as its quite useless atm.

Hi,

Thank you for the test case. The bug is fixed in the Parallel Amplifier 1.0 Update 1. I'll let you know when it's available for downloadng.

-Vladimir

Quoting - Vladimir Tsymbal (Intel)
I'll let you know when it's available for downloadng.

Intel Parallel Amplifier Update 1 is now available for downloading from the IRC (http://registrationcenter.intel.com/)

-Vladimir

Leave a Comment

Please sign in to add a comment. Not a member? Join today