IPS/VS 2008 SP1 Fails to build the NQueens Tutorial project...

IPS/VS 2008 SP1 Fails to build the NQueens Tutorial project...

Hi!

Im getting an error when trying to run/rebuild the tutorial project NQueens, included in the IPS installation directory.

First I get a message saying that VS needs to convert the project to VS 2008 from an older version, the conversion sucseeds, but when I try to run / rebuild the solution I get the message:

Message: catastrophic error: could not open source file "windows.h"

File: C:\Users\Ringo\Documents\Visual Studio 2008\Projects\NQueens-ParallelStudio\NQueens-ParallelStudio\Step4-Parallel-Tune\nq-parallelfinal.cpp

Line: 55

I'm pretty new to this whole Intel C++ stuff. Anybody that would care to explain?

If I remove #include from pre-processing, there will naturally be a slew of new errors...

Help is, as always, highly appreciated.

With metta:

Chris

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
For more complete information about compiler optimizations, see our Optimization Notice.

Chris,

It seems that you had anolder NQueens VS project (with an older Parallel Studio installation) on your machine before updating Parallel Studio. Or something got corrupt on the project.
You can re-install all sample projects since all of them come as .zip files in (default) C:Program FilesIntelParallel StudioComposerSamplesen_USC++.
Extract the NQueens.zip to a new working directory and start the NQueens.sln again.
Does this help?
Hubert.

Quoting - Hubert Haberstock (Intel)

Chris,

It seems that you had anolder NQueens VS project (with an older Parallel Studio installation) on your machine before updating Parallel Studio. Or something got corrupt on the project.
You can re-install all sample projects since all of them come as .zip files in (default) C:Program FilesIntelParallel StudioComposerSamplesen_USC++.
Extract the NQueens.zip to a new working directory and start the NQueens.sln again.
Does this help?
Hubert.

Thanks, Ill give it a try. I seem to be missing some other library files as well. I can not compile for 64-bit arch even when I have a 64 bit Windows 7 and the 64 bit windows header files installed with VS 2008.

The linker complains about:

1>LINK : fatal error LNK1181: cannot open input file 'kernel32.lib'

I have VS set to build for 64 bit debug as standard, but why does it try to include the 32 bit kernel header lib file?

Think I'll go back to programming with Eclipse on Linux. Windows stinks as a development platform!

Is it the IPP Static Libs I'm missing? And where on earth is the download link for them? Cant find it anywhere.
I'm still running in a trial mode with Intel Parallel Studio. Can't access the downloads for registered customers.

I didn't have this problem when I installed the Intel C++ Proffesional Compiler product...

Quoting - Baltazaar

Thanks, Ill give it a try. I seem to be missing some other library files as well. I can not compile for 64-bit arch even when I have a 64 bit Windows 7 and the 64 bit windows header files installed with VS 2008.

The linker complains about:

1>LINK : fatal error LNK1181: cannot open input file 'kernel32.lib'

I have VS set to build for 64 bit debug as standard, but why does it try to include the 32 bit kernel header lib file?

Think I'll go back to programming with Eclipse on Linux. Windows stinks as a development platform!

Is it the IPP Static Libs I'm missing? And where on earth is the download link for them? Cant find it anywhere.
I'm still running in a trial mode with Intel Parallel Studio. Can't access the downloads for registered customers.

I didn't have this problem when I installed the Intel C++ Proffesional Compiler product...

I thought I found the error... :
VS2008 includes libs from the wrong paths when building the 64 bit executables.

My kernel32.lib for the 64 bit arch is located in:
C:Program Files (x86)Microsoft SDKsWindowsv5.0LibIA64

While VS2008 looks in:
$(WindowsSdkDir)include
$(VCInstallDir)include
$(FrameworkSDKDir)include

So, no wonder it got confused...
;-)

But.

That was not the problem afterall... Still get some errors. I believe it is the missing static libs that is supposed to be in:
C:Program Files (x86)IntelParallel StudioComposerippem64tlib

But there is only a text file stating:

"Intel IPP 6.1 static libraries are separate downloads for Intel Parallel Studio product.
Please check http://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/intel-ipp-static-libraries/ for download and installation information."

So, without having a registered version of the product I can't really "try before I buy"...
Isn't that kinda wrong?

Well. Finally I got it to work.
I'm running Windows 7 64 bit (Final Professional MSVL, not RC), and this is not "supported" as of yet, so, guess some problems must be calculated as normal.

Uninstalled IPS, uninstalled the 6.x SDK that comes with VS SP1, replaced it with the full Windows 7 SDK, re-installed IPS, registered the 7.0 SDK as default in VS2008, and voila! It works.

Leave a Comment

Please sign in to add a comment. Not a member? Join today