Report Generation

Report Generation

How to create complete Parallel Studio report for offline usage in text orhtm, etc?
I would like to share the usefulmemory or thread analysis reports to team member thatdoes not have the IPS tool. Thanks.

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
For more complete information about compiler optimizations, see our Optimization Notice.

Quoting - qnphan

How to create complete Parallel Studio report for offline usage in text orhtm, etc?
I would like to share the usefulmemory or thread analysis reports to team member thatdoes not have the IPS tool. Thanks.

Actually, there are two ways to do that.
1. Use the GUI for collecting data and copy the needed page with results to a clipboard (Select All (Ctrl+A) -> Mouse Right Click -> Copy to Clipboard). It copes the information which you will find aligned and tabulated when pasted in some text editor.
2. Use the command line capabilities of the tools. Data collection is controlled through commands in a console. It will provide the results in a text format which can be redirected to a file. In order to find more information regarding command line mode just type:
"IntelParallel StudioInspectorbin32"insp-cl.exe -help

Appreciate the feedbacks!

I used the GUI option and don't think itprovides the full report. e.g. it can capture the problem-set window but not the call-stack window, etc.

I tried the command line option 2as you suggested. It created 4 small items in the designated directory, including a data.0 folder but no report in text format. Am I still missing something?

I have a clarification question on the 2nd option. How do I specify memory analysis or thread analysis, which are the options available when using the Tool option in the MS VS2008 env? could that be why there was no report among the files created by the command line option.

Quoting - qnphan
I have a clarification question on the 2nd option. How do I specify memory analysis or thread analysis, which are the options available when using the Tool option in the MS VS2008 env? could that be why there was no report among the files created by the command line option.

For either Intel Parallel Amplifier or Intel Parallel Inspector, you can run the command-line version of the command (either ampl-cl or insp-cl with the --help command to get a list of available commands. Using that technique, you'll note that insp-cl -collect where is a string representing one of the memory or thread analysis collectors, can be used to select the collection type. A complete list of the collector names can be found with insp-cl -collect-list.

In the end though, these command line versions are only collectorsand do not have full textreport-generation facilities.Instead, theyproduce results files intended for viewing within the browsers that are integrated in to Microsoft Visual Studio.

Quoting - Robert Reed (Intel)

For either Intel Parallel Amplifier or Intel Parallel Inspector, you can run the command-line version of the command (either ampl-cl or insp-cl with the --help command to get a list of available commands. Using that technique, you'll note that insp-cl -collect where is a string representing one of the memory or thread analysis collectors, can be used to select the collection type. A complete list of the collector names can be found with insp-cl -collect-list.

In the end though, these command line versions are only collectorsand do not have full textreport-generation facilities.Instead, theyproduce results files intended for viewing within the browsers that are integrated in to Microsoft Visual Studio.

However, the reports generated on command line aren't picked up automatically in the Visual Studio project, and it's not clear when the command line says it has generated a report where to look for that report.
This is hard to get used to, as some of the older tools put the report in a fixed (undocumented) file name in the current directory or simply push it out on the screen.
The suggested procedure appears to be to run the tools from command line, as the Debug>start without debugging option in Visual Studio says a TBB build is the only thing supported there.

Leave a Comment

Please sign in to add a comment. Not a member? Join today