Error: "Failed to create trace reader factory!"

Error: "Failed to create trace reader factory!"

I am currently evaluating Parallel Amplifier as it seems ideal for the kind of profiling we need to do for our product - a video game. I have managed to get good results for our application with small data sets (small test levels), but when I use it for larger data sets I get the following error right after terminating our application (this is the output when running from command line - running from within the IDE produces similar errors):

Using result path `C:\\Users\\stig.petersen\\Documents\\r006hs'
Executing actions 13 % Loading '3836-4924.0.trace' file
Warning: Cannot load data file `C:\\Users\\stig.petersen\\Documents\\r006hs\\data.0\\3
836-4924.0.trace' (Failed to create trace reader factory!)
Executing actions 49 % Discarding raw collector data
Finalizing the result took 88.595 seconds
Executing actions 50 % Generating a report

Looking at the data in the results directory, I can see that the .trace file in mention is blank (0 bytes).

Like I said, it works fine for smaller tests, so my guess would be that Amplifier tries to load the file before writing to it has completed (I can see from the smaller tests that writing to the .trace files is always done when the profiled app is terminated). Thus locking the file and preventing subsequent writing to it.

Please let me know if you are aware of this bug or if there are any known workarounds?

Thanks in advance

Stig Petersen

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
For more complete information about compiler optimizations, see our Optimization Notice.

Would you try to stop collection first before termination of the application? Please, let us know if the results are the same.

I can confirm that hitting the stop button in the IDE before terminating the application got around the blank trace file issue. Thanks for your help on that :]

However, while I managed to get results from 5-10 second captures, Amplifier now seems to fail in other ways when I capture for 30 seconds or more.

In one case, it suddenly failed to resolve symbols even though that has worked fine until now. In another case I just got this assert during "Finalization":

Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library
Assertion failed!

Program: ...
File: repository\dicer\src\dd_transform\dd_...\dd_tree.cpp
Line: 138

Expression: 0

For information on how your program can cause an assertion
failure, see the Visual C++ documentation on asserts

(Press Retry to debug the application - JIT must be enabled)
Abort Retry Ignore

Leave a Comment

Please sign in to add a comment. Not a member? Join today