Availible SSE code path?

Availible SSE code path?

I am not sure whether this is the right forum but i am relating to the Intel Composer product.

I was wondering whether there is a tool or a method of inspecting a binary file to find out what the availible SSE code path are?

As i discovered in a couple of documentations one can compile a file with "/QaxSSE4.2,SSE4.1,SSSE3,SSE3,SSE2 /arch:IA32". This is supposed to include every single specified optimization to the binary in case it has any effect.

The big question for me right now is, to find out whether it is even usefull to compile for every possible SSE level. (in terms of filesize/overhead or other penalties)

And how to find out which of the SSE code path actually made it into the binary file.

2 posts / 0 new
Last post
For more complete information about compiler optimizations, see our Optimization Notice.

Hi,
Please refer to the following article http://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/performance-tools-for-software-developers-intel-compiler-options-for-sse-generation-and-processor-specific-optimizations/
A good idea is to use the highest level supported by the compiler/processor to get maximum optimization.
One thing to note though is some older processors may not support the level you may choose, and can cause runtime illegal instruction errors may occur. So, you'll need to look at the processor you will run your application on, and decide the SSE level to use accordingly.

-regards,
Kittur

Leave a Comment

Please sign in to add a comment. Not a member? Join today