backend signals error with Multi-processor Compilation

backend signals error with Multi-processor Compilation

A very strange error has started to show up recently when using Intel C++ included with Intel Parallel Studio 2011 in Visual Studio 2010. Searching for this error in the forums suggests that it may be caused by using options like /Qipo and /Qparallel together, but this project has none of those options set. Even more, the error only shows up when I use many threads for Multi-processor Compilation. If I keep this number low (1 or 2), the error does not pop up. The whole process takes longer, though.My PC has a Core i7 with 4 cores and HT, but setting the number of simultaneous files to compile to 4 or 8 triggers this problem somewhere during the build process. I thought the problem could be caused by lack of RAM (3GB XP limit), but it does not seem to be the case. Now I am using Windows 7 64 bits with 8GB of RAM, and the problem still pops up.The strange thing is that this problem just decided to show up out of nowhere, and it does not seem to be linked to any specific file. As mentioned before, with 1 or 2 files at a time it does not occur.Do you have any ideas as to what may be happening?

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
For more complete information about compiler optimizations, see our Optimization Notice.

Ihave hada similar problem to compile a great project on my 8core Xeon. The output files "BuildLog.htm" will be overwritten bycompiling multipleprojects parallelon different cores, if all use the same output directory.
My solution: using different output directories
Configuration --> General
Output Directory: $(SolutionDir)/$(PlatformName)/Output_ext
Intermediate Directory: $(OutDir)/$(ProjectName)/$(ConfigurationName)/Intermediate

Maybe this can help you

heinz

Hi Heinz.If what you mean is that Output Directory and Intermediate Directory should be different, then I am doing that already.What worries me is if the guys at Intel can get to reproduce this situation, so they can work on it.Thanks for your help.Paul.

A "backend signal" type of error indicates a problem in the compiler not in the user code. In most cases you can reproduce this kind of errors using a preprocessed file (a file with .i extension produced by using the /P compiler option). If you send us a preprocessed file with full compilation options we will investigate the problem.

Thanks,
--mark

I would love to send you a file in order for you to see what is going on, but the error is highly inconsistent. As a matter of fact, yesterday I made some changes, and now it compiles with 8 threads just fine. If I can find a consistent way to reproduce it, and blame it on a specific file, I will do what I can to help you find the culprit.Thanks.

Leave a Comment

Please sign in to add a comment. Not a member? Join today