How to let the Intel Parallel Studiodebug this kind of problem?

How to let the Intel Parallel Studiodebug this kind of problem?

Dear all,

I have a program (client) which is called by the server program and the data was transfromed bye pipe file. So it is can't be debugged as usual. Currently in VC project I debug it in this way:

1) set a dead loop in the code and build the program
line 11 #ifdef DEBUG
line 12 bool bDoTheDeadLoop = true;
line 13 while (bDoTheDeadLoop)
line 14 {
line 15 bDoTheDeadLoop = true;
line 16 }
line 17 #endif

2) let the server program launch the client program and the program would go into the dead loop

3) set a breakpoint at line 16 and in VC project, Debug->Attach to Process..., look for the client program from "Available Process" and click "Attach", the debug window will go to the breakpoint

4) in the watch window modify "bDoTheDeadLoop" to be false and the program can be debugged as usual.

Now my question is: How to let the Intel Parallel Studiodebug this kind of problem?

Thanks,
Zhanghong Tang

2 posts / 0 new
Last post
For more complete information about compiler optimizations, see our Optimization Notice.

Hi Tang,

No, there's no difference in the debug methodology for debugging the sort of issue you describeas the Intel Parallel Debugger in the Parallel Studio is an externsion/Add-on to Microsoft* VS.

The important thing to know about the Parallel Debugger Extension in Parallel Studio is that it provides advanced features for specifically debugging heavily threaded applications on multicore based programs through key features like: thread data sharing detection, Re-entrant function call detection, access to SSE registers window, Cilk Plus/OpenMP debugging support, serialize parallel code regions for debugging etc. You can read more about the Parallel Debugger Extension in the Parallel Studio user guide. The link http://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/parallel-debugger-extension/ gives an overview of the debugger and the features thereof.

-regards,
Kittur

Leave a Comment

Please sign in to add a comment. Not a member? Join today