Parallel Inspector - Windows Service

Parallel Inspector - Windows Service

Hi all,

I'm new to parallel Studio. I successfully used Parallel Inspector to find memory isssues in programs that can be started from the command line. Is there a recommended way to use Parallel Inspector with a process that is implementing a Windows service?

I already tried to run the service interactively from the command line but inspector does not return results since I have to terminate the process by using the stop button. This seems to be expected Inspector hehavior.

Thanks,
Lars

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
For more complete information about compiler optimizations, see our Optimization Notice.

In the case of Parallel Inspector, the application must be launched by Parallel Inspector. You said you ran it from the command line, but then you say you pressed the stop button. Did you mean you configured Parallel Inspector to start the service from within Visual Studio and when you pressed the Stop button there were no results?

Regards,
MrAnderson

Not exactly. Here is the long version:

I have an exe that usually runs as a service. However for development reasons the exe can also be started from the command line. I used this setup with inspector. However the process cannot be terminated in a usual way. When I press the inspectors red stop button I get no results. Same when I kill the process with Ctrl+C or task manager.

So my question are

1. how can one inspect long running server programs that usually do not terminate themselves? I read somewhere in this forum that results are only collected when the program terminates normally.
2. What is Intels recommendation on how to inspect processes that implement windows services. My current understanding is: This is not possible at all - which makes the whole thing useless for me.

Thanks,
Lars

Are you seeing any errors detected in the collection log prior to pressing the Stop button? If there is anything reported in the collection log, when you press Stop they should still be there.

When you press Stop, does your service terminate? I mean, Inspector started your app/service, when you stop, it will try to stop the app/service. Do you have any special code that changes the process permissions or something like that?

Regards,
MrAnderson

No - there was nothing displayed before I pressed the stop button.
Yes - the program was terminated, but no leaks were displayed. I then changed the process to terminate after a certain time by itself. In this case some leakage information was displayed.

So again: What is the Intels recommended strategy to inspect permanently running windows service apps?

In other words:
Is there a kind of cook-book available that explains how to use Parallel Inspector for windows services.

Thanks,
Lars

No, I'm sorry. We're writing it right here in this thread! :\ Frankly, we're not developing any Windows servies, so all we can do is try to use it on some sample services and work with customers like you. So far, I've not be able to get my service to run in Windows 7, using Visual Studio 2010 to generate it. :(

Back to your usage: what's strange is that you say when you set the "process to terminate after a certain time by itself", some errors are reported. Is it possible that your terminating the process in this way is not cleaning up correctly and, thus, causing leaks? The fact that no errors are reported during collection leads me to believe there are no errors.

However, remind me, at what level are you running the inspection?

Regards,
MrAnderson

Sorry not relying for such a long time. I put the issue aside and recently it came back...

If I understand you answer correctly intel has no idea how to inspect windows services? This fact makes the product usesless.

Potential workarounds could be:
1. Rework the windows services to run interactively from command line and invent a mechanism for termination (since just killing the process will not work).
2. Inspect subsystems by running unit tests on different subsystems of the service (can detects internal subsystem issues only)

To sum up:
I'm a bit disappointed that you don't have answers to those questions and that the customers how paid money need to figure out the problems themselves.
For me the product is useless.

-Lars

Leave a Comment

Please sign in to add a comment. Not a member? Join today