How to Open Help File in Microsoft Document Explorer Instead of in the Default Web Browswer?

How to Open Help File in Microsoft Document Explorer Instead of in the Default Web Browswer?

When I hit F1 to get help, the help content is opened in the default web browswer (in my case, Internet Explorer). Many features available in the MS document explorer are unavailable in this environment. Plus, I cannot filter the search to Intel Visual Fortran, so when I search for an item, most results are related to Visual Studio.

I am using MS Visual Studio 2010. One of my colleagues uses VS2005, his MS Document Explorer works fine.

I am wondering if anyone had the same experience. Please advise if you know the solution. Thanks.

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
For more complete information about compiler optimizations, see our Optimization Notice.

In Microsoft* Visual Studio go to Help->Manage help settings->Choose online or local help and set "I want to use local help". On my laptop this setting makes help to open through MS help viewer, otherwise online help is opened in default browser. VS2010 uses new Help viewer instead of MS Document Explorer, this is VS2010 design.

Regards,
Kirill

Thanks, Kirill, for your instruction.

I downloaded MS VS2010 SP1 and installed it. Now I can open help file in the MS Help Viewer 1.1. It works much better, even though some features found in VS2008 are still missing.

Leave a Comment

Please sign in to add a comment. Not a member? Join today