Getting started - this might help others

Getting started - this might help others

Hi,

I'm running Windows 8 Pro 64 on a PUB-RD Rev 3 Ultrabook and I'd just like to document a few 'features' of the process so far:

• Ordering the camera - I'm outside the US and found creating an account was impossible using IE10 as it still listed US States and rejected the creation of an account until this field is cleared which can't be done.
  • Resolved by switching to Chrome.

• Shipping - delivered in under 48 Hrs to UK, great.

• SDK - installed the 64 bit SDK but I couldn't find the samples.  Windows+F didn't help. Reading various resources didn't help so I installed the 32 bit on another PC and then saw the Samples were in Program Files!!! *Big Slap Wrist* for breaking the rules putting files to be modified in Program Files. Note the Program Files location obviously isn't covered by Windows+F search - curious.
  • Resolved by copying Samples to a more sensible place that doesn't break the rules.  I didn't want to elevate the running so I moved the directory to be within documents so it is backed up by Windows 8 File History and is now searchable by Windows+F. 
  • Intel - please sort out the SDK to place the Samples in a place that can be used without elevated priviledge and is saved when running the Windows 8 file history.

• Reading Forum posts it now looks like I need to install an old version of Visual Studio.  So we have a Beta release of a 2013 product that doesn't work with VS2012......Hmmm. 
  • Intel - please sort 2013 SDK so it runs with the current VS.

I'll let you know how I get on.

David

13 posts / 0 new
Last post
For more complete information about compiler optimizations, see our Optimization Notice.

Ok, you don't need to install earlier versions of VS just follow Mikhail's instructions in http://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/topic/334445.

The only problem I currently have is depth_smoothing throwing up an error "cannot open file 'libpxcutilsexp_d.lib'" otherwise all compile and run as expected.

David

I have 'resolved' the Linker error in depth_smoothing - the PCSDK ...sample\common\lib\Win32\v110 does not include 'libpxcutilsexp_d.lib' when you follow Mikhail's instructions. So I took the risk and copied the v100 copies of the 'libpxcutilsexp_d.*' files into the v110 folder and it built and ran with the build only throwing up 2 warnings.

David

Thanks for the suggestion. We will consider the 2012 support and the sample location.
BTW, the sample folder can be obtained from the Startup menu.

Thanks for the suggestion. We will consider the 2012 support and the sample location.
BTW, the sample folder can be obtained from the Startup menu.

8< BTW, the sample folder can be obtained from the Startup menu.

Great.....can you tell me how to get to the startup menu?

Yours Windows8ingly,

David

My mistake. We will evalaute how to better support Windows* 8.
Any suggestions?

My mistake. We will evalaute how to better support Windows* 8.
Any suggestions?

@Xintian The samples need to be in a 'unrestricted' folder such as in My Documents so that the user can load/edit the files without elevated privileges and File History will save them - assuming the user enables File History.

I just updated VS2012 yesterday and PCSDK Beta 2 this morning. Fairly painless, just uninstall PCSDK via control panel and that appeared to remove all the files. Don't forget to move sample folder and follow Mikhail's instructions http://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/topic/334445 as you lose libpxcutils.lib when you uninstall the SDK.

I tested Speech Recognition and looked pretty good but make sure you download the add on and note that there is no licence to use Speech products in any commercial product.

David

@daflippers Thank you for pointing us to win8 issue. PCSDK Installer behaves a bit different on Windows 8 and can't pin to the Start Screen tiles which are pointing to the folder (same mechanic worked for all previous windows versions).
We will fix this issue and also introduce different samples location in next releases.

Hi Konstantin,

Much appreciated.

David

Just an update to point out the fix for the capture_viewer sample is attached to this post http://software.intel.com/en-us/comment/1718473#comment-1718473.

David

Can't wait to begin my own project with the remarkable technology.Until then this is the go to place for this emerging media. ThankYou.

Attachments: 

AttachmentSize
Downloadimage/jpeg photo-0293.jpg184.2 KB

Leave a Comment

Please sign in to add a comment. Not a member? Join today