PerfAnl: Feature has expired

I downloaded Performance Tuning Utility 3.2 (PTU) for linux. All I had to do was to unzip it, inorder to install it. It requires VTUNE license to run.

I registered at http://softwareproducts.intel.com to get a VTUNE license, which I got in the email as a license file and is valid till Sep 1 2011. I just got the license and havent downloaded / installed VTUNE (as it is not required for running PTU)

When I try to run the "vtssrun" application in PTU I get the following licenseing errors.

Feature: PerfAnl
License path: /opt/intel/licenses/COM_L_VT__.lic://intel -
/licenses:/ptu32_001_lin_ia32/bin/COM_L_VT__.lic
FLEXlm error: -10,253
For further information, refer to the FLEXlm End User Manual,
available at "www.macrovision.com".

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
For more complete information about compiler optimizations, see our Optimization Notice.

Quoting - apchitra
I downloaded Performance Tuning Utility 3.2 (PTU) for linux. All I had to do was to unzip it, inorder to install it. It requires VTUNE license to run.

I registered at http://softwareproducts.intel.com to get a VTUNE license, which I got in the email as a license file and is valid till Sep 1 2011. I just got the license and havent downloaded / installed VTUNE (as it is not required for running PTU)

When I try to run the "vtssrun" application in PTU I get the following licenseing errors.

Greetings,

It is possible that the contents of the license file for VTune Performance Analyzer for Linux* on your system doesn't match the contents of the file in the Intel registration Center. As per Intel registration Center your license is valid till 2011.

Please don't post the contents of the license file in here or name of the license file in here (Both have serial number in it). I have resend you the license file. Replace the files on your system. [ Please delete the evaluation licenses for VTune Performance Analyzer for Linux* Version: 9.1 from your system, as you already have a Commercial license.]

Also

The product page http://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/intel-performance-tuning-utility-product-overview/ says "Make sure you have the license file (.lic) in the bin product directory". Please make sure the file is in the bin path.

Aknown limitation is "For Microsoft Windows Vista, you need to be an administrator to work with the Intel Performance Tuning Utility. " Are you using Microsoft Windows Vista?

Let me know if this helps, if not I will contact the product support team.

Thank You
Shamla

Quoting - apchitra

Hello,

Have you tried running "Eclipse" from the bin directory?
Also, have you checked the licenses directory to see if there are other expired license?

Chuck

Quoting - Chuck (Intel)

Hello,

Also, have you checked the licenses directory to see if there are other expired license?

Chuck

In the meantime, I am checking with the VTune team on this. I probably will not have an answer until tomorrow.

Chuck

Quoting - Shamla (Intel)

Quoting - apchitra

Greetings,

It is possible that the contents of the license file for VTune Performance Analyzer for Linux* on your system doesn't match the contents of the file in the Intel registration Center. As per Intel registration Center your license is valid till 2011.

Please don't post the contents of the license file in here or name of the license file in here (Both have serial number in it). I have resend you the license file. Replace the files on your system. [ Please delete the evaluation licenses for VTune Performance Analyzer for Linux* Version: 9.1 from your system, as you already have a Commercial license.]

Also

The product page http://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/intel-performance-tuning-utility-product-overview/ says "Make sure you have the license file (.lic) in the bin product directory". Please make sure the file is in the bin path.

Aknown limitation is "For Microsoft Windows Vista, you need to be an administrator to work with the Intel Performance Tuning Utility. " Are you using Microsoft Windows Vista?

Let me know if this helps, if not I will contact the product support team.

Thank You
Shamla

Thank you very much for the prompt response. I deleted the evaluation licenses and moved the licenses over to the ptu/bin/ and the installation worked on my linux host.

I am on the embedded product development and we have a target board hooked (also running linux 2.6.28) up to the linux development host. I tried doing the same steps as above on the target board and it still gives me the same error.

The target board is the place where I need to get the PTU running. Is it possible that I am missing some libraries or binaries required by PTU to verify the license and stuff, on the target board.

Quoting - Chuck (Intel)

Hello,

Chuck

I had other (VTUNE evaluation) licenses as well in the opt/intel/license folder, which I removed and my problem went away. I still cannot get it running on the target board as I mentioned.

Quoting - techtalk

Thank you very much for the prompt response. I deleted the evaluation licenses and moved the licenses over to the ptu/bin/ and the installation worked on my linux host.

I am on the embedded product development and we have a target board hooked (also running linux 2.6.28) up to the linux development host. I tried doing the same steps as above on the target board and it still gives me the same error.

The target board is the place where I need to get the PTU running. Is it possible that I am missing some libraries or binaries required by PTU to verify the license and stuff, on the target board.

We have contacted the Vtune TM support team, with your response, license on emebedded system. We will get back to you as soon as we hear from them.

Thank You
Shamla

Quoting - Shamla (Intel)

We have contacted the Vtune TM support team, with your response, license on emebedded system. We will get back to you as soon as we hear from them.

Thank You
Shamla

OK, I heard back from the VTune team.
Bad news is that the PTU is not an embedded product.
You could go to the "Whatif" forum and see if it has been done or possibly some help from other PTU users.
Support for this product is provided through the "WhatIf" forum.

Chuck

Quoting - Chuck (Intel)

OK, I heard back from the VTune team.
Bad news is that the PTU is not an embedded product.
You could go to the "Whatif" forum and see if it has been done or possibly some help from other PTU users.
Support for this product is provided through the "WhatIf" forum.

Chuck

I understand that PTU is not an embedded product. When I mentioned embedded, I meant "target" which is just an IA platform running linux (but its different to the development host and connected to the host through nfs). So I have got PTU running on the development host with a full blown fedora core 9. Now I am trying to run it on an IA platform running linux kernel 2.6.23. I dont think it should be any different, except if I am missing any libraries / binaries required to get past the license manager in PTU.

Do I have to have VTUNE installed on a system (on which I am trying to use PTU with VTUNE license)? So here is what my target system looks like.

Its an IA core running linux kernel 2.6.23 with busy box and stuff. I have untarred the PTU tar ball that I downloaded on the target. I have a VTUNE license file on the target. But I dont have the VTUNE installed on my target. Just wondering that if installing VTUNE on target was a necessity in order to use the VTUNE license for PTU ?

Quoting - techtalk

I understand that PTU is not an embedded product. When I mentioned embedded, I meant "target" which is just an IA platform running linux (but its different to the development host and connected to the host through nfs). So I have got PTU running on the development host with a full blown fedora core 9. Now I am trying to run it on an IA platform running linux kernel 2.6.23. I dont think it should be any different, except if I am missing any libraries / binaries required to get past the license manager in PTU.

Do I have to have VTUNE installed on a system (on which I am trying to use PTU with VTUNE license)? So here is what my target system looks like.

Its an IA core running linux kernel 2.6.23 with busy box and stuff. I have untarred the PTU tar ball that I downloaded on the target. I have a VTUNE license file on the target. But I dont have the VTUNE installed on my target. Just wondering that if installing VTUNE on target was a necessity in order to use the VTUNE license for PTU ?

From what I was told, VTune does not have to be installed.

The VTune engineer suggested you try the WhatIF forum. The PTU product is not really supported by this forum. I was just trying to help you out as best I could. The WhatIF forum is where you would most likely find what you need from either the engineers that monitor the forum or other PTU users.

Chuck

Quoting - Chuck (Intel)

Quoting - techtalk

From what I was told, VTune does not have to be installed.

The VTune engineer suggested you try the WhatIF forum. The PTU product is not really supported by this forum. I was just trying to help you out as best I could. The WhatIF forum is where you would most likely find what you need from either the engineers that monitor the forum or other PTU users.

Chuck

Thanks for all your help. I was actually sent to this forum from the whatif forum to discuss any licensing issues.

Leave a Comment

Please sign in to add a comment. Not a member? Join today