MKL Education for Mac vs Windows

MKL Education for Mac vs Windows

I have been using the Windows version of the MKL education suite and I implemented a lot of code with it over the past 9 months. The version that I have for Windows is 10.2. About A month ago, I purchased the same library for Mac OS X hoping to port my existing code base to my new Apple machine, but disappointingly the download page only allows me to get MKL versions up to 10.0 revision 5. Why is that? Unfortunately my code uses functionality that is not available in the older version. I am pretty sure that there exist a 10.2 version of the library for Mac OS X, since the documentation that I have downloaded refers to version 10.2 for Mac. Is there a way to remedy this situation and get the updated version of the library for Mac OS X?

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
For more complete information about compiler optimizations, see our Optimization Notice.

My previous reply to you is private, as I have a link with your personal information in there.

You have access to the 10.2 version.

There are some known issues where individual product versions are not visible, so please contact us when you have any issues and we need to look into all your registrations.

Quoting - Shamla (Intel)

My previous reply to you is private, as I have a link with your personal information in there.

You have access to the 10.2 version.

There are some known issues where individual product versions are not visible, so please contact us when you have any issues and we need to look into all your registrations.

Yes, I tried the drop down menu, but it only allows me to choose between version 10.0 and 9.1. I also tried to go the page titled "My Intel Software development products", which shows a summary of the products (both win and mac) I can download, and again it shows that release 10.0 as the latest mkl version I can download for Mac. At this point, I am pretty sure there should be a problem with my registration as you mentioned.

Do Do you see the second drop down with build number ?

I am attaching screen shot of the link i gave you here.

Quoting - Shamla (Intel)

Do Do you see the second drop down with build number ?

I am attaching screen shot of the link i gave you here.

Yes you are right, but that is not the issue :-( The major release of the windows version does match the mac version

MKL Windows: Release 10.2 / Build 2
MKL Mac: Release 10.0 / Build 5

Here's a screenshot of the full product page that I see

Note that the mac version of MKL is 10.0 (5), while the Windows version is 10.2 (2)

Unfortunately there is a substantial difference between these two releases at the API level.

The version and package numbers on Windows* doesn't have anything to do with that on MAC*.

If you have any specific issue with the API , you will have to submit a new thread in the MKL forum and see if the feature is available on MAC*.

You have access to the latest MKL download which has been released on MAC*. Hope this helps.

shamla

Quoting - Shamla (Intel)

The version and package numbers on Windows* doesn't have anything to do with that on MAC*.

If you have any specific issue with the API , you will have to submit a new thread in the MKL forum and see if the feature is available on MAC*.

You have access to the latest MKL download which has been released on MAC*. Hope this helps.

shamla

I am sorry to insist so much, but I strongly believe that there should a version 10.2 for Mac according to the following Intel Documents:

http://software.intel.com/sites/products/documentation/hpc/compilerpro/e...

http://www.adalta.it/Pages/PDF_Intel/PDF_SchedeProdotto/mkl_indepth.pdf

also all the documentation refers to version 10.2 without distinction with respect to platforms.

Lastly, notice that the date of the last update for Mac on the screenshot I posted in the previous post is September 2008! It is strange for me to believe that the MKL library for Mac has not been updated for more than a year.

Best Reply

Quoting - natanelics.ucla.edu

I am sorry to insist so much, but I strongly believe that there should a version 10.2 for Mac according to the following Intel Documents:

http://software.intel.com/sites/products/documentation/hpc/compilerpro/e...

http://www.adalta.it/Pages/PDF_Intel/PDF_SchedeProdotto/mkl_indepth.pdf

also all the documentation refers to version 10.2 without distinction with respect to platforms.

Lastly, notice that the date of the last update for Mac on the screenshot I posted in the previous post is September 2008! It is strange for me to believe that the MKL library for Mac has not been updated for more than a year.

Greetings,

The 10.0 Build 5 is the latest MKL for Mac OS* X currently offered.
I have confirmed this with the Registration Center downloads

We do not know at this time when the 10.2 will be made available.
The release of products between Platforms does not always coincide.

Chuck

Quoting - Chuck (Intel)

Greetings,

The 10.0 Build 5 is the latest MKL for Mac OS* X currently offered.
I have confirmed this with the Registration Center downloads

We do not know at this time when the 10.2 will be made available.
The release of products between Platforms does not always coincide.

Chuck

We are looking into this further and investigating a solution. More information will be posted soon.

Chuck

Hello,

For Mac OS* X application developers, the Intel Compiler delivers superb capabilities and performance leading to a very large majority of our customers choosing to purchase the Intel C++ Compiler Professional Edition or Intel Fortran Compiler Professional. These consist of the Intel compiler, Intel MKL, and in the case of C++ also the Intel Threading Building Blocks and the Intel Integrated Performance Primitives. As such, we decided that it is no longer feasible to provide the Intel MKL product in standalone packaging.

You are right that Intel MKL 10.2 Update 2 is the current version. You can obtain it by downloading the latest version of the Intel Compiler of your choice (Fortran or C++). The full Intel MKL product is integrated into that compiler package. The last version of Intel MKL that was made available as a standalone package was version 10.0 Update 5.

Again, I'm sorry for the confusion. I'll see what we can do to make things more clear.

Let us know if you have further questions or difficulties.
Todd

Leave a Comment

Please sign in to add a comment. Not a member? Join today