Floating license interpretation?

Floating license interpretation?

Hi

Assume I buy a floating license of Intel C. Now assume I

a. want to compile multiple files at same time at one computer. Is that ok with 1 license?
b. want compile at 2 or more different computers. Is that ok?

How many licenses do I need in the above cases. It is not clear from you specification of floating license below.

So essentially does one floating license give a user the right to use Intel C on all the computers in the network?

v. FLOATING LICENSE: If you are using the Materials under the control of a Floating license, you may (a) install the Materials on an unlimited number of computers that are connected to the designated network and (b) use the Material by no more than the authorized number of concurrent users. A separate license is required for each additional concurrent user and/or network on which the Materials are used. Intel will provide you with a license code key that enables the Materials for a Floating license up to the authorized number of concurrent users. If you obtained a time-limited Floating license, the duration (time period) of your license and your ability to use the Materials is limited to the time period of the obtained license, which is controlled by the license key code for the Materials. Intel Library Floating License: If the Materials are the Intel Math Kernel Library or the Intel Integrated Performance Primitives Library or the Intel Threading Building Blocks (either "Intel Library"), then the Intel Library is provided to you as an add-on option to either the Intel C++ Compiler product or the Intel Fortran Compiler product (either "Intel Compiler") for which you have a Floating license, and as such, in addition to the terms and conditions above, the Intel Library may only be used by the authorized concurrent users of that Intel Compiler Floating license.

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
For more complete information about compiler optimizations, see our Optimization Notice.

Quoting - erling_andersen
Hi

Assume I buy a floating license of Intel C. Now assume I

a. want to compile multiple files at same time at one computer. Is that ok with 1 license?

Each Floating license has a count / number of seats. So when a compter on the network is using the product, one seat is alloted to this system. Maximum Computers that can concurrently use the product is equal to the count or number of seats in the license.

b. want compile at 2 or more different computers. Is that ok?
You will accordingly need 2 or more seats of floating license.

How many licenses do I need in the above cases. It is not clear from you specification of floating license below.

So essentially does one floating license give a user the right to use Intel C on all the computers in the network?

Floating license doesn't track host id of machines in a network. It can be used on any number of machines on the network and the maximum is controlled by the number of seats you have purchased. If at any time, you think 4 users in your network will concurrently need access to the license , then you need a floating license with 4 seats.

v. FLOATING LICENSE: If you are using the Materials under the control of a Floating license, you may (a) install the Materials on an unlimited number of computers that are connected to the designated network and (b) use the Material by no more than the authorized number of concurrent users. A separate license is required for each additional concurrent user and/or network on which the Materials are used. Intel will provide you with a license code key that enables the Materials for a Floating license up to the authorized number of concurrent users. If you obtained a time-limited Floating license, the duration (time period) of your license and your ability to use the Materials is limited to the time period of the obtained license, which is controlled by the license key code for the Materials. Intel Library Floating License: If the Materials are the Intel Math Kernel Library or the Intel Integrated Performance Primitives Library or the Intel Threading Building Blocks (either "Intel Library"), then the Intel Library is provided to you as an add-on option to either the Intel C++ Compiler product or the Intel Fortran Compiler product (either "Intel Compiler") for which you have a Floating license, and as such, in addition to the terms and conditions above, the Intel Library may only be used by the authorized concurrent users of that Intel Compiler Floating license.

I have enclosed my answers above.

Did you consider single user license? A individual user can use the license on any number of machines.

Thank You
Shamla

The real issue we are large number of users and large number of computers. It is kind pain buying a license for each and install it and keep track of things.

One more question if 2 users use Intel C on the same computer simultaneously. Is 1 or 2 seats required?

Quoting - Shamla (Intel)

I have enclosed my answers above.

Did you consider single user license? A individual user can use the license on any number of machines.

Thank You
Shamla

Dear customer,
In this case, a 2-seat floating license is needed.
Does this answer your question?

Lina

What is the normal practice. Let us say you have 10 users and they may run the compiler on several computers at least occasionally simultaneously. Do you buy 10 individual user licenses and store them in a user specific the user directory.

That would would require buy 10 licenses si which ok, but the downloading and maintaining when new license files
is obtained is quite some hassle. Any suggestions? I would like to have single license file.

The ideal thing for me would be floating user license.

Quoting - erling_andersen
What is the normal practice. Let us say you have 10 users and they may run the compiler on several computers at least occasionally simultaneously. Do you buy 10 individual user licenses and store them in a user specific the user directory.

That would would require buy 10 licenses si which ok, but the downloading and maintaining when new license files
is obtained is quite some hassle. Any suggestions? I would like to have single license file.

The ideal thing for me would be floating user license.

Hello,

This is difficult to answer as each company has different requirements. The advantage to floating licenses is that you can have 20 developers use a 10 seat floating license if they don't all use the compiler at the same time. If you have 10 developers that would be using the compiler at once, then you would need at least 10 licenses, whether that be a 10 seat floating license or 10 single user licenses. If you have more than 10 users, but only a maximum of 10 would be using the compiler at any one time, then I would suggest the 10 seat floating license.One advantage to single user licenses is portability, you don't have to be on the net or in the domain of the server. As I said, hard to answer. Much of the time it comes down to budget...

Chuck

Leave a Comment

Please sign in to add a comment. Not a member? Join today