FLEXlm vendor daemon issues

FLEXlm vendor daemon issues

Hi, we currently have a 5-seat concurrent FLEXlm license for Fortran. This was previously hosted on a physical Dell server running Windows Server 2003. I recently migrated this to a virtual machine (XenServer) with virtual network cards matching the MAC addresses present in the old physical box. This virtual server runs Windows Server 2008.
Since the migration our Intel FLEXlm license won't run, although around 20 or so other FLEXlm license servers run fine (all of which were migrated directly off the old physical server). The excerpt from the logfile is as follows:

16:02:15 (lmgrd) lmgrd tcp-port 28518

16:02:15 (lmgrd) Starting vendor daemons ...

16:02:15 (lmgrd) Started intel (pid 4236)

16:02:15 (INTEL) FLEXnet Licensing version v11.6.1.0 build 66138 i86_n3

16:02:15 (INTEL) Server started on for:

16:02:15 (INTEL) I00000000000000000040000000000 (consisting of: FCompW)

16:02:15 (INTEL) EXTERNAL FILTERS are OFF

16:02:15 (lmgrd) Got Message from Unknown Vendor Daemon: INTEL -- ignoring

If I startup the FLEXlm system on the old physical server then this last line isn't present, the license server starts up fine. This is using the newest version of the Intel FLEXlm software from the Download Centre, and therefore the latest lmgrd and vendor daemons....

Does anyone have any ideas?

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
For more complete information about compiler optimizations, see our Optimization Notice.

Hi,
What do you mean with 20 other FLEXlm licens servers which run fine?
Are these different VMs with the same Intel License Manager running on them or tools from other vendors with their own license manager?
There is one known issue with Windows Server 2008. The Intel License Manager doesn't run from the Start menu > Intel Software Development Tools > Configure Intel License Manager.
You need to start lmgrd.intel.exe from the console leaving the window open, for example:
> \\Intel\FLEXLM\lmgrd.intel.exe -c <.lic> -z
Hubert.

Sorry, that wasn't well worded. This Windows 2008 server has 20 or so FLEXlm license servers in total, from a variety of different vendors (Autodesk, PTC, Mathworks, to name a few, but only this single Intel instance). All of these work fine having been set up with lmtools.exe as services.However, the Intel one doesn't work despite being set up the same way.
I will quickly try your workaround and get back to you on whether this works. Are there plans to fix this known issue?

No, if I start FLEXlm from the command line then I get the same error message.

Do you have all rights in the command window on your VM?
Can you invoke the vendor daemon, e.g.:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Intel\FLEXlm>INTEL.exe
18:53:03 (INTEL) FLEXnet Licensing version v11.6.1.0 build 66138 x64_n6
18:53:03 (INTEL) Vendor daemons must be run by the license server manager (lmgrd)

Yeah, I have administrative rights on this server (not as Administrator, but my domain account has admin privs). UAC is turned off completely (this is normal Server 2008 with the "less-good" implementation of UAC from Vista, rather than 2008 R2 with the slightly better Win7 version). I can run the vendor daemon fine but as you suggest, it crashes out when not spawned by lmgrd:C:\Program Files\Common Files\Intel\FLEXlm>intel9:39:50 (INTEL) FLEXnet Licensing version v11.6.1.0 build 66138 i86_n39:39:50 (INTEL) Vendor daemons must be run by the license server manager (lmgrd)

I'm sorry that the workaround didn't help. I'll investigate further. Hubert

Sorry for the delay.
The only explanation I have is that you may have modified your license file.
Your log shows:
...(lmgrd) Started intel (id...)
Wherease it should read:
...(lmgrd) Started INTEL (.....)
The vendor daemon name is case sensitive and must be in capital letters. If this applies, change it back. If not, let me know your serial number (in that case, please make your answer thread private).
Regards,
Hubert.

Hi, thanks for your response. The license file is (to the best of my knowledge) exactly as it was ported from the old server (where it worked), with one exception; because we wish this FLEXlm license to be used via our VPN, there's a "PORT=" clause on the VENDOR line in order to fix the TCP port that the vendor daemon listens on (normally the lmgrd port is fixed, but the vendor port is random, in order to make it easier to configure firewall rules I prefer both ports to be fixed, it saves headaches).However, I'll definitely check this and get back to you ASAP. Thanks for the suggestion!

Leave a Comment

Please sign in to add a comment. Not a member? Join today