Cluster & non-cluster licensing

Cluster & non-cluster licensing

I currently have version 9 of the Intel C++ & Fortran compilers for Linux with a floating license. I'm planning to upgrade to version 12 and am looking at licensing options.

Currently the licenses are shared by individual developers on their workstations and one node in a Linux cluster on which compilations are done. The compiled code is then run on the cluster's compute nodes.

If I purchase the Cluster Studio for Linux, may the developers check out CS licenses from the cluster? They would use the compilers and MPI library on their workstations to develop & test their code (shared memory for MPI), then transfer it to the cluster to run over an Infiniband interconnect.

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
For more complete information about compiler optimizations, see our Optimization Notice.

If you C++/Fortran compiler licenses are within the support subscription you can upgrade to version 12.0 based compilers as described here:
The compiler tools from the Intel Cluster Studio are being checked in the same way as the Intel Composer XE(formerlyIntel Compiler Professional) compilers, there is no difference.
Please follow up if this doesn't answer your qustions correctly.
Regards, Hubert

If I understand correctly, with a Cluster Studio floating license, a non-cluster user can check out a license from the cluster license server?

I assume the MPI license is checked out at compile time. Is the license also required for run-time use?

If I have a 2-user Cluster Studio license and I want more C++ licenses available, can I purchase a 5-user C++ license and add it to the cluster license server, thus providing a total of 7 C++ licenses?

I'm still not sure about your first qustion. Are you asking whether a non-cluster user running a compiler from a standard installation (such as the Intel Composer XE) can check out a compiler license from the Intel Cluster Studio floating license? If yes, the answer is yes. Everybody having access to the license server can check out corresponding licenses whenever the feature code matches the product s/he is using.
A MPI license is NOT required for runtime.
You can combine a Cluster Studio and (e.g.) a Composer XE license and run them on the same license server. What you can do to differentiate between Cluster Studio and normal Compiler user is to use an options file and define user groupsto controlthe access rights.
Does this help?

Yes, that helps. Thank you.

Leave a Comment

Please sign in to add a comment. Not a member? Join today