Can we just copy the compiler files and do we have to reinstall the compilers ?

Can we just copy the compiler files and do we have to reinstall the compilers ?

Hello,

We have a real slowdown in the compilation process since we changed the server machine. Here are the 3 facts :

1. The license manager and compilers were originally INSTALLED on server A (old one). Recently the licence manager and compiler directories/files were COPIED to server B (new one, much faster).

2. We performed all necessary steps concerning the license update (license regenerated according to the new server, INTEL_LICENSE_FILE pointing to the new license file).

3. But there's a strange behavior of the compilers on the server B (new one) :
    - compilation is really fast when the server A (old server) is powered on ;
    - compilation is very slow when the server A (old server) is off.

Do you think copying compiler files is sufficient for the compilers to work ?
Or do you think the compilers are to be reinstalled ?

Best regards,

Philippe D

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
For more complete information about compiler optimizations, see our Optimization Notice.

I forgot to mention that we use Linux Centos 6

Regards,

Philippe D

Philippe,

Moving installed compiler files is usually ok so you don't need to reinstall the software on another machine.

From your error description it looks like the old server is still active.

Please verify if you shut down the license manage on the old server ($ lmutil lmstat -c <license_file>). If it's running, shut it down ($ lmutil lmdown -c <license_file>). Remove also all license files not being used on the old server.

Check license status on the new server:
$ lmutil lmstat -a -c <new_server_license>

Check if the Intel Vendor daemon is up and running:
$ INTEL
(no parameters, should issue a warning, but shouldn't issue errors or crash).

To prepare the license for compiler usage, take the server license, add USE_SERVER as second line to the .lic file and copy it over to the license path c:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Intel\Licenses\ This is your CLIENT license file that has to be located in c:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Intel\Licenses\:

SERVER <servername> ANY <port>
USE_SERVER

License information after 'USE_SRVER' is ignored so that you can delete the rest of the original license file.

Invoke the compilers:
$ icc
$ifort

If it doesn't work create a debug log:

$ export INTEL_LMD_DEBUG=<logfile>
$ icc
$ ifort

and send me the log file via 'Send Author A Messge'

Regards, Hubert.

Philippe,

Any news from your side? Do you still need help?

Regards, Hubert.

Hello Hubert,

I'm sorry for my delayed answer. Thanks you for your help, everything works just fine.

In fact we use CentOS 6.4, a Linux distribution, as new server. As yout told us, on the clients, we just changed the old server name by the new one in the license file :

SERVER <servername> ANY <port>
USE_SERVER

Regards,

Philippe D.

Leave a Comment

Please sign in to add a comment. Not a member? Join today