Python and lib32 not found by installer

Python and lib32 not found by installer

I am trying to install Intel Parallel Studio XE 2013 SP1 Update 2 in my Gentoo Linux machine using the internet installer, but it does not find Python 2.7 nor the 32-bits libraries. I could easily point out the path to these, but l_psxe_online_p_2.1.2.017.sh -help is not all that helpful. Is there any trick to guide the installer script to find those libs?

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
For more complete information about compiler optimizations, see our Optimization Notice.

A web search quickly verifies you're not the first person to run up against the problems associated with Gentoo installing things in non-standard paths.  Intel software tools don't make any promise to deal with those situations where Gentoo differs from the supported distros.  If you were able to set up symlinks so that those packages appear in the same path as on one of the supported distros, that should help.

There's a reason why major distros including red hat, centos, and suse, support linux standards base.

Thank you for your response, Tim.

It is a common practice in the Linux community (much more fundamental and well-regarded than establishing "standard paths" ) to specify paths via command line in the configuration script. For example,

./configure --with-blas=/home/holysword/my_crazy_blas_thingy/

works flawlessly for "standard" Linux packages, but much more than that, it allows the user to use his own implementation of specific libraries or unstable/under development (for testing purposes, if you want) while still keeping the official stable version somewhere else. If Intel is so interested in following "standards" and common practices of Linux community - which I definitely praise - I would dare to say that this is far more crucial than guessing ("standard" or not) paths or providing graphical interfaces.

Symlinks could be a workaround, but a nonoptimal one. Intel libraries will always look for the symlinks and never for the actual libraries, and whenever I update them I will have to manually update the symlinks. It could also confuse future package installs who would be mislead to use the symlink rather than the actual correct library.

Leave a Comment

Please sign in to add a comment. Not a member? Join today