import / update Source Files

import / update Source Files

Hi,

I would like to know if it is possible to automatically import new "Source Files" in a (Fortran Static Library)Project.

In fact we develop a fortran application with sccs unix source management program. We export daily the new unix release on PC and would like to also daily update its image in the Developer studio program.
At the moment, we know that, for existing files, their image in a Project are automatically updating if modified. But what about new or disappearing fortran source files?

To resume, How to make a "link" (I mean not using "ProjectAdd to Project" menu or "Delete" button ) between an existing Fortran files folder and its image in the Developer studio program Project ?

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
For more complete information about compiler optimizations, see our Optimization Notice.

I'm afraid that I don't quite understand your question.

When you create a project in Developer Studio, you tell it where the sources are. At any point later, you can tell Developer Studio to do a "Build", and if the sources are newer than the thing being built (a .LIB in your case), it will recompile those sources and rebuild the target.

So if you do your "export" of the source files to the place that the project thinks the sources live, then do a "Build", it will use the new sources. You could also export (from Developer Studio) a makefile and use NMAKE (provided with CVF) to rebuild from a command script.

Developer Studio also knows about source control systems if they're compatible with Microsoft Visual SourceSafe.

Steve

Steve - Intel Developer Support

Thank you for your answer.
Yes, I understood that the makefile (build operation ...) takes into account the new call tree if it is modified but, my problem is
How to refresh automatically my project visual source tree in the Developer Studio environment (icon files in the File View), for example to have a new file of my project appearing automatically

Ok, now I understand. I don't know of any way to have new files automatically appear in the project.

Steve

Steve - Intel Developer Support

You could write a macro that would look in the .PLG file for the missing dependencies, then search specific directories for the missing .F90, or .OJB files.

Greg

Do you need to use the visual interface to make your
application? Consider using makefiles on both platforms.

Split the platform dependant and independant information
into separate files so that one can 'include' the other and
generalize your make code with make symbols. An
extremely simple sample would look like this:

windows makefile:
L77 = DF /libs:static/winapp/thread
X =.exe
O =.obj
L =.lib
OEXE =/exe:
include make2

===========================
unix makefile:
L77 = f77
X =
O =.o
L =.a
OEXE= -o
include make2

===========================
make2:
app$X: mod1$O mod2$O mod3$O applib$L $(LIBLIST)
$(L77) $(OEXE)app$X $** $(LIBLIST2)

good luck
sol

It would also be relatively easy to write some script to edit the .dsp file, which defines which source files are in the project for the Visual Interface (have a look at one in notepad).

If you just leave the dependencies section blank for new files, VS will evaluate them.

Your script would have to remove dependencies for removed files.

Dan

Leave a Comment

Please sign in to add a comment. Not a member? Join today