running program

running program

I am a newcomer so excuse my ignorance. If I place my executable program file directly on the desktop of computer and run it, it will execute properly. If I place it in a folder on the desktop, it will not run. If I place it in the Programs folder on the C:/ drive, it will run, even if I bury it within subfolders. The program requires calling input files which usually reside alongside the executable file. It does not make sense...I have XP Professional

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
For more complete information about compiler optimizations, see our Optimization Notice.

What error message are you seeing when the program doesn't run? Are you moving the input files to the same location when you move the executable file?

Mike

Yes. I am moving the input file to the same folder as the executable. There is no error message...the program just quits running.

Are you running a debug or release configuration of your program? Try running the debug configuration. Press F5 to start your program from within Visual Studio, and the program should stop in the debugger at the statement where the error occurs.

Mike

I have a similar problem, except that the program ONLY runs under visual studio. I request input from the screen, but do not have time to enter anything when the screen disappears and the program stops. I tried a separate folder in C: and tried it in the PROGRAM FILES folder as did 'tovaert' but with no avail. I have three read-only files which are in the same folder as the .EXE file, but no run. Any ideas???

Supposing that your program simply attempts to read text from unit * or 5, did you try running it from a text window?

Leave a Comment

Please sign in to add a comment. Not a member? Join today