CVF Upgrade from Company-wide License

CVF Upgrade from Company-wide License

I'm posting this message on behalf of a co-worker. His company (Union Carbide Corporation) and mine (The Dow Chemical Company) merged about two years ago. He is using Digital Visual Fortran 5.0D and wants to upgrade to CVF 6.6.

UCC apparently had a company-wide license for DVF, and my co-worker loaded the copy he's got from a server. I don't know the details of how this worked. According to the upgrade information at http://h18009.www1.hp.com/fortran/visual/pricing.html he will likely need a DVF license code to purchase the upgrade, but he doesn't have one like the people who purchased individual boxed product.

Can this guy get the discounted upgrade prices listed on the HP/Compaq Web site, and if so, then how should he do it?

Mike

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
For more complete information about compiler optimizations, see our Optimization Notice.

Your coworker is mistaken - DVF has never been available through a "company-wide license". (We were not allowed to offer such due to the licensed Microsoft components.) It could be that his employer distributed the product internally, but they were required to purchase an individual license for each user. (Concurrent/network licensing was introduced for version 6.5, which is something different.)

Based on your description, your coworker is not eligible for upgrade pricing unless an individual DVF 5.0 license had been purchased for him previously (and he would have the serial number for it.)

If your coworker has additional questions, vf-support@compaq.com is the address he should write to.

Steve

Steve - Intel Developer Support

I just remembered something. Shouldn't he be able to pull down the Help menu in Developer Studio, click on the About Developer Studio choice, and see his license code in the resulting dialog box? If that doesn't work, then, yeah, he needs to consult with vf-support.

Mike

He can indeed pull down Help in Developer Studio and get the ID the kit was installed with. However, this does not determine that he legitimately has a license for it. Your statement that there was a "company-wide" license suggests to me that he doesn't - speaking as a product representative, I have to say that only users with legitimate licenses are entitled to the upgrade price.

However, it is true that if he can retrieve the ID, it can be used to install the upgrade. In version 5, however, the ID displayed in Developer Studio is likely to be slightly different from the real ID. Furthermore, if he buys the upgrade now, it should find the old version automatically.

Steve

Steve - Intel Developer Support

Leave a Comment

Please sign in to add a comment. Not a member? Join today