v8.1 update installation

v8.1 update installation

Do I have to remove v8.0 before I install v8.1, or can I just install it over the old version.

Thanks,
Haje

Message Edited by hajekorth on 09-14-2004 09:57 AM

59 posts / 0 new
Last post
For more complete information about compiler optimizations, see our Optimization Notice.

You must remove previous versions when installing an update, except in the case of the patch updates. If you try to install before removing, you will get a message informing you of the need to remove. That will not cost you much time, if you recognize that you can restart the installation from the Setup icon in the temp directory where the installer is unpacked.

After having wasted half a day trying to apply Itanium update to IA32 compiler (without knowing it, of course) I objectedto uttermost confusion that Premier's download section presents to the user. Now things got even worse. Word "itanium" (which helped distinguish the versions at least a bit) is dropped altogether and things are named "update", which is not enough different from "patch".

Now, what the heck is the right download? w_fc_p_8.1.019.exe ??? It's full compiler, not a patch, is it?

Jugoslav

Jugoslav
www.xeffort.com

Full Compiler it seems to be, and i got it running after many tries of new installation. The Debugger couldn't find the NatDbgEE.dll. At lastI copiedthis from a collegue. Now I can work. No, first I have to repeat all changes in the IDE-surface for Fortran and then for VB.
Hans

For some reason updating the compiler is always a hassle. The patches usually work fine, but unfortunately they don't exist for every update. Is it possible to implement a smart installer that can perform updates as well? I seem to have problems with removing and reinstallingand my Visual Studio environment always responds with error messages after the uninstall.

On the same wavelength as my previous post...

The "Install Compiler" link on installation's HTML page (question: which other software has installation starting from a HTML page?) is still too big. While it was a big red link on the top of the page in earlier versions, now it's a 8-point font grey link on the left panel hidden between 10 irellevant ones of same design. I suggest that it should be moved to 6-point font in a footnote to keep up with the progress.

Gosh, people, can youhire someone with basic knowledge of interface design and ergonomy? Even someone with little common sense will do... Unfortunately, Interface Hall of Shameis not maintained anymore and does not accept new entries.

Jugoslav

Jugoslav
www.xeffort.com

Sorry about the web page design. Unfortunately, it was handed to us. I'll see if we can do better in the future.

BTW, I have seen quite a few products which install from a web page in a similar manner.

I will pass on the other comments - thanks.

Steve - Intel Developer Support

So, what then is the correct procedure for updating Intel Fortran 8.0.1877.2003? Are the patches/upgrades cumulative? thanks.
Dmitri

8.0.1877.2003 is not a compiler version. That's an IDE integration version.

The correct procedure is given in the web page that displays when you open the downloaded kit or mount the CD, and in the release notes. If you have 8.0 installed, you must uninstall it first, then install 8.1.

Hello
I am totally lost in this updates/upgrades or whatever.
Also the names and numbers of this updatefiles are (to me) very confusing.
Why does if have to be so complicated ???
Please make it more easy for 'normal' programmers (like it was with CVF)
Klaus

It's complicated because instead of one platform, as there was with CVF, there are six. We can probably do a better job of providing the information you need to select the correct download.

For most everyone, do this:

1. Download w_fc_p_8.1.019.exe
2. Uninstall 8.0
3. Run w_fc_p_8.1.019.exe and follow the prompts

If you have the Professional Edition, use w_fcp_p_8.1.021.exe instead.

I'm als lost in the updates.
I sell and and install "Intel Visual Fortran 8.0 Professional Edition".
Until last monday Septembre 13 updates only are listedfor "Intel Fortran for Windows". Since my first installation I have installed some of the avaialble update of the last type, assuming and hoping it were correct updates. Tuesday Septembre 14 I saw an update with package name w_fc_p_8.1.019.exe dated 09/13/2004. I have installed this version assuming it was the first presented update of version 8.1.
But today (Septembre 16) thereI saw the update with package w_fcp_p_8.1.021.exe (dated 09/15/2004)and for the first time the addition, that it was an update for the Professional Edition and a message that people with a Standard Edition should download the package w_fc_p_8.1.019 (The one I installed already!)
After the announcement of the 8.1 update, ther comes another announcement for an update of the Intel Fortran 7.1 compiler for Windows.
I cannot follow it longer.
My question is:
"How can Irecognize updates and new versions of my product 'Intel Visual Fortran Professional Edition for Windows'? "

Guus

My question is:
"How can Irecognize updates and new versions of my product 'Intel Visual Fortran Professional Edition for Windows'? "

Answer: you can't. (Neither do I). Suggested procedure: download everything you see and run it in order increasing by date. One will work. If one stalls yourcomputer, reinstall Windows and repeat the procedure by skipping that one. ;-)

Jugoslav

Jugoslav
www.xeffort.com

I can only agree with the statements of Klaus and Guus. The distribution, installation and update of IVF 8x is an unbelievable mess. Having installed Fortran compilers on many platforms formore than three decades I gave up with IVF afterseveral unsuccessful tries. I decided to stay with CVF until Intel makes the necessary changes.
Greetings,
Wolf

Jugoslav's suggestion was a joke, obviously.

I don't understand the problems people are having. What could we do to make it better? Please be specific.

Let me see if this will help at all...

You receive an e-mail when any new file is made available through Premier Support for the general category of product you have registered - in this case, "Intel Fortran for Windows". This includes files for any of the three platforms (IA-32, Itanium, Intel EM64T) and, for some time to come, will also include updates for 7.1. Read the descriptions to see which ones apply to you.

A complicating factor is that the Professional Edition (w_fcp), which did just have a new, full kit release, will use the Standard Edition compiler updates. So in the future, if you see files that start with w_fc_pc_8.1, then those also apply to the Professional Edition.

What would help here? Would a document or web page with a "you are here" type of map help?

I had the same problem with vfproj. Maybe because my Program Files Directory is located on D:, not on C:. The IF8-installation made a new dir :
C:Program FilesMicrosoft Visual Studio .NET 2003.
I tried to copy this to the existing one in D:.
After some deinstall and newinstall and Windows-restart (not reinstall!) vfproj was integrated.
Hans

Steve,

Your latest answer already makes some things clear:
w_fcp_...update for professional edition
w_fc_...update for professional and standard edition.

Apparently updates related to Intel Visual Fortran will always presented as: Intel Fortran.

But see this week's problem:

09/13/2004 issue w_fc_p_8.1.019 (thus: for standard and professional)
09/15/2004 issue w_fcp_p_8.1.021 (thus for professional)

Was itcorrect Iinstall w_fcp_p_8.1.019 and also w_fcp_p_8.1.021 for my Professional version? (When I install the first, the second was not yet announced)
And what about version 7.1? Are there still updates on 7.1 while 8.1 is in the air?

Guus

I suggest something along following lines:

http://www.geocities.com/jdujic/premier.htm

I made it up, obviously, but doesn't it look better like this? Comments?

Jugoslav

Jugoslav
www.xeffort.com

Guus,

It did not hurt you to install both w_fc_p_8.1.019 and w_fcp_8.1.021. The compilers are the same in these two packages - the latter includes IMSL which is a separate install. You will want to get future w_fc_pc_8.1 packages as they will update the compiler for both Standard and Professional editions.

There will be occasional updates to 7.1, but these will become less frequent over time and will stop when 9.0 comes out.

I found the new 8.1 will not integrated very well to visual studio.net, if the .net hasn't been installed on C: . Someone reported the similar problems. I have my .net 2002 installed on F:, and also want to install IVF to F:. Then, the IVF can't run smoothly. There was no such problem with my IVF 8.0 before. Could you check and fix the problem?

I will be very annoyed if this problem did not stay fixed. Please file a support request about it and we will investigate.

When you installed, did you specify that IVF should be installed on F?

Message Edited by sblionel on 09-16-2004 11:30 AM

Yes Jugoslav

something like that would help very much.

Klaus

Jugoslav,

I think an overview as you suggest will help.

Guus

More thanks to Hans!
I too install VStudio and IVF on D:. After shuffling IVF81files from some enormously long path on C: toselected path on D:, it looks like IVF is now integrated with VStudio 2003. (remembers DEC daysfondly :-)

Nigel

Steve,
I've encountered the same problem as others have, that is I tried to install ivf 8.1 on drive e as opposed to drive c. See issue number
267272. I'm still waiting for a remedy.

Sorry for this - I don't understand how this could get broken again, and why we didn't notice before release. Both questions will get answers.

On the general issue of confusion in the Premier Support downloads and the difficulty of locating the install link in the web page, look for changes in both areas.

Steve,
the problems dont't come on each pc - my collegue, also with installation on D:, had no problems with installation.
Hans

Ok, I had a clean install of VS .NET 2003, on drive E:, and in directory e:VsNetPro.

I then installed IVF 8.1 into e:VsNetProIVF81.

I found the directories on C:, copied lots of stuff everywhere as per hints above, but VS remains oblivious to IVF existence.

Changine the name from IVF81 to "INTEL FORTRAN" did not help.

I think I'm borked! This'll teach me to change names during install...

Hi Gonzalo,
sorry, I can only repeat my special solution.
I had installed MS Visual Studio .net in "D:Program FilesMicrosoft Visual Studio .NET 2003"and the IF8-Licence-Dir in "C:Program FilesCommon FilesIntel". And it worked well with IF8.0.
The installation of IF8.1 (after deinstallation of IF8.0) made a second dir:
"C:Program FilesMicrosoft Visual Studio .NET 2003" with the subdirs "COMMON7" and "INTEL FORTRAN". These subdirs I copiedover the yet existing same subdirs on D:....
As said, my collegue had no problems with (nearly) the same dir-structure.
But I have had the problems yet with earlier IF8-Versions with Dot.net 2002 in February, but they seemed to be fixed with w_fc_pc_8[1].0.047.
Maybe there is something wrong in my registry, because I have installedyet CVF (with MS Visual Studio 6) in "C:Program FilesMicrosoft Visual StudioDF98" .
Sorry, that's all I know, but it's a good idea that this should be corrected asap by Intel.
Hans

We are having difficulty reproducing this problem here. Would those of you who get the files placed on the wrong disk please tell me which language variant of Windows and/or VS.NET you are using? Some of us think it may be specific to certain non-English versions, but we've tried German so far and it has worked fine.

Thats my languages:
D:Program FilesMicrosoft Visual Studio .NET 2003 :
Microsoft Visual Studio .NETenterprise developer = german

C:WINNTMicrosoft.NETFrameworkv1.1.4322 with german language pack

Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional: Version5.0.2195 Service Pack 4 Build 2195 = internat. edition with german language pack

(But my collegue has the same languages and no problems, but an other history.)

good luck
Hans

Steve
I have visual studio net 2003 installed in
e:program filesMicrosoft Visual .Net2003
This is a proacademic us english version.

My operating system is windows 2000 professional 5.00.2195 service pack 4, again us english version.

I am still waiting for a meaningful and helpful response from Intel tech support. The last response I got asked whether I was using windows xp. I have been very disappointed with thequality of support I have received from intel since I upgraded from digital visual fortran. My issue number is 267272.

Would those of you who are experiencing this problem of the failed integration please do the following and post your results?

1. open any command window

2. go to OptPkg.dll directory: intelcppideVS2003

3. run "regsvr32 OptPkg.dll"

David, I'm sorry you're not happy with our support. Clearly misunderstandings and misreadings can happen, but I think that overall the support is better than CVF's - and I should know, as I was providing the bulk of CVF support on my own.

Steve, I cannot find the file "OptPkg.dll" nor can I find the directory that you referred to in yor message:

"2. go to OptPkg.dll directory: intelcppideVS2003"

I have searched all my drives for the dll files and cannot find it.

Sorry about that. I should have read the instructioins more clearly - they are for the C++ compiler. They don't apply to Fortran.

The Fortran dlls are below under "Program FilesMicrosoft Visual Studio .NET 2003Intel FortranVFPackages":

vfavwin.dll
vffortsvc.dll
vfproj.dll
vfprojconvert.dll
vftoolopt.dll

Please try a "regsvr32" command on each of these DLLs and tell me if any of them fail to register.

Hello Steve,

I had no problem registering the dll's

IVF created the following directories during installation:
C:Program FilesMicrosoft Visual Studio.NET
C:Program FilesMicrosoft Visual Studio.NET 2003
Whereas Visual Studio .NET 2003 was installed on H: drive.at the time of installation
Installation of IVF on H: drive

Applying the method suggested by Hans solved the problem for me.

My configuration is a follows:

English Language editions of:
Microsoft Visual C++ .NET
Microsoft Development Environment 2003 Version 7.1.3088
Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 Version 1.1.4322

Dutch language edition of:
Windows XP Home edition, Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 1 Build 2600

Walter Kramer

Message Edited by wkramer on 09-22-2004 11:04 AM

Steve, I followed your instructions, that is I registered the files

vfavwin.dll
vffortsvc.dll
vfproj.dll
vfprojconvert.dll
vftoolopt.dll

which were to my surprise in my c: drive since I thought that I had installed visual studio and the intel fortran compiler in drive e.

So now it seems I am able to use microsoft visual studio!

Steve, I would tell the same asdhalpern.at.obelix .Why are they on C:...?.
Maybe once a wrongattempt to install in c: in the installation history?
Hans

Steve, registering the .dll s worked, and now all is well, even with my non standard dir names on different drives.

Ask your test team if they trulystarted from a "clean" machine, or if they had uninstalled a previous version, then installed the latest. This would explain why copy worked for some not otthers (like me, who had a reformatted hard drive before installation on drive e:).

Thanks for the help! Ian.

Thanks for the feedback - the information is helpful.

As Hans pointed out, if the registry contains an obsolete drive designation for a compiler installation, that will prevent correct installation. It happened to me recently, when I had to repair my Windows installation after it was trashed by our automated system administration, and Windows decided to change the partition designations. Searching for and deleting the bogus registry entries helped out. It might be easier if the installer could check for and optionally delete any conflicting registry entries. I may yet have to reformat the entire drive, but I wouldn't want to do so on account of problems with the compiler.

Today the installation of w_fc_pc_8[1].1.021.exe worked fine.
(After uninstall and in addition deleting of wrong subdirs).
Thanks
Hans

Steve, I still think a smart installer, which can perform the installation from scratch as well as do an update install without prior installtion of thecompiler, would be nice.

Just something to think about...

Cheers,
Haje

That's in the plan for the next major release.

I'm glad I'm not the only one that is totally confused each time a new upgrade comes along. I successfully upgraded to w_fc_p_8.1.019. Now I have a notice of w_fc_pc_8.1.021. Does this apply to me? Perhaps a short paragraph on the email with a little more description of how this upgrade fits into the array of compilers that are out there. Some consistent terminology with the versions I get when I look at the "about" selection under help would be good. These changes would help old guys like me who can't remember what he did the last time and have to spend an hour getting back up to speed in the forum files.

Yes, w_fc_pc_8.1.021 applies to you. We're thinking about ways of helping customers understand the downloads better.

If you have installed w_fc_p* or w_fcp_p*, then any of the w_fc_pc* updates apply to you.

w = Windows
fc = Fortran Compiler (Standard)
fcp = Fortran Compiler Professional
fce = Fortran Compiler EM64T
p = product
pc = product continuous update

The update numbers, at present, aren't comparable across different kit types, but do increase within kit type.

Patches, when they show up, will look like pc files but will also have a .pe suffix.

am I the only one who feels a bit reluctant (and scared) to "upgrade" if this means uninstalling an entire (and fairly large) compiler integrated into a huge ms-environment (.net) and then reading on the forum about people having paths messed up, files,dlls missing etc? Also installing/reinstalling compilers always upsets settings such as toolbars, as well astaking over file associations from other compilers, etc.
cvf could be upgraded at least from 6.5 to 6.6c without reinstalling anything. In addition it displayed its current version, whereas with IVF I dont even know that! - the "Intel Fortran Compiler Integration for Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003, Version 8.0.1877.2003" is apparently a "build" number an not version number.
i sincerely hope these upgrades are cumulative - otherwise am i supposed to install/reinstall several times??? c'mon! coding is hard enough without having to worry about all these things! and windows is fragile enough without all these installation/reinstallation.
btw, I think the process is getting clearer(thanks Steve), but just a bit too slowly.

Message Edited by forall on 10-18-2004 08:37 PM

You aren't reading about "paths messed up, missing dlls". The worst problem with the install is that in the original 8.1 version, if VS.NET was not on your Windows boot partition, the VS.NET integration didn't get installed right.

I assume we will resume patches for IVF updates soon, and the install is being reworked for the next version to not require an explicit uninstall. Some of what you see is a result of using Windows Installer, which is much fussier about such things than the older style install which just replaced files.

Yes, the updates are cumulative.

The best way to get the compiler version is to open a Fortran build window and type:

ifort -what foo.f90

where foo.f90 is any Fortran file. At the moment, you need to have some file on that command to get the full output.

I am trying to install v8.1.021 as an update to v8.0. I uninstalled v8.0 as instucted in this forum. The uninstallationseemed simple enough and seemed to work flawlessly. Then, I tried to install v8.1.021 which I had downloaded. During the installation, I am now getting the error message "Missing prerequisite. Microsoft Platform SDK* not found." It gives me two options: 1) Continue installing and use the the Microsoft Platform SDK folder entered below and 2) Do not install the Intel Fortran Compiler for Itanium-based applicator. What do I do, choose option #2?

Things were so much easier under CVF and the old Visual Studio.

Bruce

Pages

Leave a Comment

Please sign in to add a comment. Not a member? Join today