Intel Fortran Debugger problem: unable to start debugging

Intel Fortran Debugger problem: unable to start debugging

Hi,

I am trying to debug a simple Fortran code using intel fortran 9.1 and visual studio.net 2003.

When I start to use the debugger, the following error message appears:

unable to start debugging

unable to start program:'c:..program.exe ' (where program is the name of my executable)

the server threw an exception.

I am using an windows xp pro dual core machine in a network.

As an issue to solve the problem, I tried to login into my computer as an administrator with all the rights, but I get the same error message.

Has this problem been submitted before

Regards.

30 posts / 0 new
Last post
For more complete information about compiler optimizations, see our Optimization Notice.

This problem has been seen before, by myself and others. It also affects people using Microsoft Visual C++ without any Intel software, and the cause is unknown. The solution is known, however.

1. From Add/Remove Programs, uninstall the Intel Fortran Integrations into Microsoft Visual Studio
  2. From add/Remove programs, select Visual Studio.NET 2003, Change/Modify
  3. When the first VS screen comes up, select item 2, Visual Studio.NET
  4. On the next screen, select Reinstall/Repair
  5. Go out to lunch
  6. When it's done, reinstall the Intel Fortran integration

I get this on my system every few months or so.

Retired 12/31/2016

Thanks Lionel. This has solved my problem.

Regards.

Please add that you may need the Visual Studio.NET 2003 install CD after you select Reinstall/Repair in step 4. So going out for lunch as recommended in step 5 will not be a good idea.

We finally identified the cause of this problem and will fix it for future updates. See here for info on what you can do to protect yourself.

Retired 12/31/2016

I also have this problem of unable to start debugging a Fortran ( Intel 9.1)project from within Visual Studio.Net 2003 Professional edition. I get the following message

unable to start debugging

unable to start program:'c:..program.exe ' (where program is the name of my executable)

the server threw an exception.

I have followed the steps mentioned in the above post

1. I uninstalled Intel Fortran Integrations into Microsoft Visual Studio

2. I repaired/reinstalled VS.Net 2003

3. I then re-installed Fortran Integration

However, I still end up having the same debugging issue of not being able to start the debugging process from within VS.Net 2003

Any further help in resolving this issues will be greatly appreciated. thanks

Open folder C:Program FilesMicrosoft Visual Studio .NET 2003Common7PackagesDebugger. For each of the following files, right click on the file, select Properties, Version and list the File Version for each file. Not all files may be present:

CppEE.dll
NatDbgEE.dll

Retired 12/31/2016

Steve:

The link in your post "here" is broken. Could you please provide an update to the link?

Thank you.

Bill

Hmm - I'm not sure where that went. Anyway, the post said to save a copy of CppEE.dll before uninstalling the Intel Fortran Integrations as long as it has a file version of 7.x.x.x. If you see a version of CppEE.dll with a version of 9.x.x.x, then replace it with your saved copy.

Retired 12/31/2016

Following are the version numbers for my files

CppEE.dll (version 9.1.2972.2003)

NatDbgEE.dll (version 9.1.3620.2003)

In one of you later posts you mention that these files should be version 7. How do I get that version of these files and will that resolve my issue of not being able to debug from within Visual Studio.Net 2003. Thanks for your help

CppEE.dll should be a 7.x.x.x. I know you said you did the repair but it does not seem as if you did.

First, uninstall the Intel Fortran Integrations into Microsoft Visual Studio. Then in Add/Remove Programs, select Microsoft Visual Studio.NET 2003 and click Change/Remove. On the screen that comes up, select item 2, Visual Studio.NET., then Repair/Reinstall.

After that is done, save a copy of NatDbgEE.dll and delete CppEE.dll. Now reinstall the Intel integration.

Retired 12/31/2016

Quoting - Steve Lionel (Intel)

CppEE.dll should be a 7.x.x.x. I know you said you did the repair but it does not seem as if you did.

First, uninstall the Intel Fortran Integrations into Microsoft Visual Studio. Then in Add/Remove Programs, select Microsoft Visual Studio.NET 2003 and click Change/Remove. On the screen that comes up, select item 2, Visual Studio.NET., then Repair/Reinstall.

After that is done, save a copy of NatDbgEE.dll and delete CppEE.dll. Now reinstall the Intel integration.

With Intel Fortran version 11.1.048 for Windows update 2, the issue is back again. The remedy as proposed by Steve Lionel in reply #10 to post #9 of this issue.
Whatever I do, after the reinstall of the Intel Integration the NatDbgEE.dll versionis replaced by the latest version 11.

Could you please investigate the issue again?

I have not seen any other reports of this. Which Visual Studio version are you using?

Retired 12/31/2016

I have not seen any other reports of this. Which Visual Studio version are you using?

Visual Studio.NET 2003

For VS2003, it is correct that NatDbgEE.dll be replaced by the Intel version. What problem are you seeing?

Retired 12/31/2016

For VS2003, it is correct that NatDbgEE.dll be replaced by the Intel version. What problem are you seeing?

First I compilated the program and that succeeds.
When I try to start to the program within Visual Studio.Net 2003 (with or without use of the debugger), the following error message appears:

1. unable to start debugging

2. unable to start program: 'Debugprogram.exe'
(where program is the name of my executable and where I used a Debug configuration).

The cursive phrasingis correct in 1 and 2, the exact phrase in 2 (whether it is start or find) I cannot check now.

In case the Intel Fortran Integrations into Microsoft Visual Studio.Net 2003 is not correct installed, I get a message that the Fortran integration is not correct installed and then I am asked whether I would like to use the Visual Studio 2008 Express evaluation version debugger. Whatever I choose next, I get the error messages 1 and 2.

What are the file versions for CppDbgEE.dll, NatDbgEE.dll, ForDbgEE.dll and ForDbgSW.dll?

Retired 12/31/2016

What are the file versions for CppDbgEE.dll, NatDbgEE.dll, ForDbgEE.dll and ForDbgSW.dll?

Probably you mean CppEE.dll, because I don't have CppDbgEE.dll.

CppEE.dll versions 7.10.3077.0 and 9.129772.2003
NatDbgEE.dll versions 7.10.3077.0 and 11.1.4824.2003
ForDbgEE.dll, ForDbgSW.dll, and ForOps.dll (only) version 11.1.4824.2003

Note thatforNatDbgDM.dll I only have version 7.10.3077.0

Why do you list two versions? Only the DLLs in the Common7PackagesDebugger folder are of interest.

Retired 12/31/2016

Why do you list two versions? Only the DLLs in the Common7PackagesDebugger folder are of interest.

I saved copies of the older versions as directed in post #8.

What are the versions of the files by the given names in the PackagesDebugger folder?

Retired 12/31/2016

What are the versions of the files by the given names in the PackagesDebugger folder?

For CppEE.dll version 7...
For NatDbgEE.dll version 11..
The rest is obvious.

That's correct, then. If you're still having problems, I suggest:

1) Uninstall Intel Fortran
2) Do a "Repair" on Visual Studio 2003
3) Reinstall Intel Fortran

Retired 12/31/2016

That's correct, then. If you're still having problems, I suggest:

1) Uninstall Intel Fortran
2) Do a "Repair" on Visual Studio 2003
3) Reinstall Intel Fortran

Steve,

I tried your suggestion and it didn't work.
Should I escalate the problem as an issue to quad or do you have yet another suggestion?
I used a system restore to go back to version 11.0.066 and this version is OK.

In order to complete post #16:

If I start the program without using the debugger the error messages are:

2. unable to start program: 'Debugprogram.exe'
(where program is the name of my executable and where I used a Debug configuration).

3. The system cannot find the file specified.

If I start the program (with the debugger), the messages are:

2. The debugger is not properly installed.

3. Run setup to install or repair the debugger.

Install or repair the debugger doesn't solve the problem.

Finally, when doing a repair or modify action the screensof version 11.1.048 update 2 are confusing about whether the Intel Parallel Debugger is included or not in this version:
During the custom installation I cannot add this debugger (it is permanently deselected with a red cross).
During a repair or modifya screen appears stating that this versioncontains theIntel Parallel Debugger.

Kind regards,

Giel Habets

At this point, I do suggest you file a report with Intel Premier Support.

Retired 12/31/2016

At this point, I do suggest you file a report with Intel Premier Support.

Intel Premier Support has sent me a small Console6 "Hello World" Fortran Solution Example; that solution could be started without generating the above-mentioned error messages.
I discovered that the configuration propertiessettings had different entry values at Configuration properties - Debugging - Action - Command.
The Command entry should contain the (target) path to the executable;I inherited the following:

$(OutDir)program.exe
(where program is the name of the project).

The Console6 example solution contains in the Command entry:

$(TargetPath)

Changing the Command entry to $(TargetPath) solves the issue.
As a result, $(TargetPath) should be used for compiler version 11.1.048 and higher.

Kind regards,

Giel

This is not compiler-specific. Perhaps your project had been set so that the linker output was not named "program.exe" (or whatever you had there, or it was not placed in the output directory. $(TargetPath) is typically the default.

I'm glad to hear that you got the problem resolved.

Retired 12/31/2016

I can imagine that the integration of the Fortran compiler with Visual Studio has changedfor version 11.1.048 and higher.

----
Giel

I'm not aware of any changes in the integration.

Retired 12/31/2016

Leave a Comment

Please sign in to add a comment. Not a member? Join today