Intel Fortran compiler 9.1 stack overflow

Intel Fortran compiler 9.1 stack overflow

I have exactly the same code for three-dimensional CFD simulation (large memory required) and considered dynamic memory allocation for all larger arrays.If compiled by Intel Fortran compiler 7, it runs very well; however if compiled by Intel Fortran compiler 9.1 on the same computer, it gives me "stack overflow".

Is there any set-up I need to do for Intel Frotran compiler 9.1 to prevent the stack overflow.

thanks

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
For more complete information about compiler optimizations, see our Optimization Notice.

Try adding the /heap-arrays option to get the same behavior as IFC7.

Steve - Intel Developer Support

Can you tell me how toadd the option in Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 environment? Thanks.

Go to the property page Fortran > Command Line. In the Additional Options box, type in:

/heap_arrays

You will need a version of the compiler released in the last six months in order to use this.

Now I'm using Intel Fortran Compiler 10.0.025. I tried the /heap-arrays option as instructed. But it doesn't work.It I still have the stack overflow problem.

Did you try /heap_arrays or /heap-arrays ?

Doesn't matter - they are equivalent.

Please send a test case to Intel Premier Support so that we can investigate.

After input /heap_arrays at command line, in the optimization set-up window, there is a new Heap Arrays item appears, I inputted 100 (kb) in the blank after it. It works now. The problem now is that it runs very slow. Any suggestions for running the program faster? Does it help if I set the Optimization/Parallization as Yes(/Qparallel)?

thanks a lot,

heqing

Turn on /check:arg_temp_created (Fortran > Run-Time > Check for Actual Arguments using temporary Storage > Yes, rebuild and rerun your program. Look to see if you get messages about a temporary being created. At these locations, your program is doing something inefficient - passing a possibly non-contiguous array section to a routine expecting a contiguous array. If you see this, you can have the called routine accept the argument as assumed-shape (:) and provide an explicit interface to all callers, or do what is needed to pass the array as a contiguous section.

Your program is slow because it requires making large copies of one or more arrays - that you need to set /heap-arrays is an indication of this. If you can eliminate the copies, your program will get MUCH faster.

Leave a Comment

Please sign in to add a comment. Not a member? Join today