unnecessary builds

unnecessary builds

I'm using VS2010 with Fortran Compiler XE 12. When I press F5 to begin a debug session the system completely rebuilds my project, even if there has not been any change to the source files. This just started yesterday. Previously it would only rebuild when necessary. I've looked for incorrect time stamps but can't find anything wrong.

16 posts / 0 new
Last post
For more complete information about compiler optimizations, see our Optimization Notice.

Close the solution. Try deleting the .u2d files from the project folder (they are hidden files so you may need to enable viewing hidden files in your Explorer view.)

Steve - Intel Developer Support

There was one .u2d file. I closed the solution, deleted the .u2d file, reopened the project and the problem remains. In addition to the problem I described, when I select Build the system always does a complete rebuild of all files even when nothing has changed. If I clean the project and then build, it can't find my .mod files, but if I build a second time it finds them. I recently changed time zones on my laptop while on a trip, but changed back a week ago.All of these problems started occurring yesterday.

I think the compiler misses something in dependencies between your modules.

Yes, but I don't know how that would have changed. I used to know how to update dependencies, but I can't find that feature now.

Ah, the time zone change probably did it. Does a Build > Clean help? As a last resort, remove all the source files from the project and then re-add them. There is no tool for updating the dependencies.

Quoting Steve Lionel (Intel)
Ah, the time zone change probably did it. Does a Build > Clean help? As a last resort, remove all the source files from the project and then re-add them. There is no tool for updating the dependencies.

Maybe Intel should supply such tool in the next release?

Unfortunately, we can't - this information is maintained by Microsoft code. I have seen it myself and it is frustrating to deal with.

Clean doesn't help. Neither does removing the source files and adding them again. After doing that it took three builds to get all the files compiled. Then it was back to the point where it requires a complete rebuild for every debug session. I wonder if I should uninstall VS2010 and/or the Fortran compiler and reinstall.

Reinstalling won't help. What happens if you create a new project and add the sources to it?

I tried to duplicate the problem with a different but similar project and I couldn't, so I think it's something in my project files or settings.

I created a new project and added my source files to it. The same problems occur.

Are your sources or project on a network share? We've seen sometimes that this can trigger such problems.

No, they are not.

Quoting tsimm
Clean doesn't help. Neither does removing the source files and adding them again. After doing that it took three builds to get all the files compiled....

Go looking for circular module dependencies - module A depends on B depends on A; and circular file dependencies - module in file A depends on module in file B depends on module in file A.

That seems to be the problem. Thanks to everyone who responded.

Leave a Comment

Please sign in to add a comment. Not a member? Join today