Intel Math Kernel Library for Windows*
Intel Threading Building Blocks for Windows*

I get an error message "An error occurred during installation or Microsoft
Visual Studio*2010 Shell. Setup will now exit"
It is stuck at 11/20 step

The installation then rolls back.

26 posts / 0 new
Last post
For more complete information about compiler optimizations, see our Optimization Notice.

Try this. From the Intel Registration Center, download Intel Visual Fortran Composer XE 2011 Update 8, the variant that includes Visual Studio Shell. See if that installs. If it does, go back and try the Composer XE install again, though I hope you understand that without a "retail" Visual C++ installed you won't be able to use Intel C++.

Oh, before you do the install, run the Windows "Disk Cleanup" utility and have it clean up your "Temporary Files" folder.

Steve - Intel Developer Support

I tried this but still stops at step 11/21 and then unrolls the installation. This is exactly the same as before. I did clean up tempory files before. I noticed that microsft visual studio 2005 and 2010 remote debugger are installed. Is this a problem?

When it fails, does it point you to an install log? If so, please attach it.

Also, please do this:

1)run the installation, in the first extraction screen uncheck
checkbox Remove temporarily extracted files after installation

2)remember the extraction location (by default looks like C:\Program Files\Intel\Download\w_fcompxe_all_2011.8.278\)

3)when Welcome screen appears, press Cancel button to cancel installation

4)Go to C:\Program Files\Intel\Download\w_fcompxe_all_2011.7.8.278\installs\1033\w_cprof_vs2010 and run VSIntShell.jpn.exe

5)This will invoke the Microsoft Installer in GUI mode. It will fail
and report the reason.

Write back here and paste in the reason or attach a screenshot of the error.

Attached is install log

I ran the Microsoft Installer in GUI mode it seems to stick on the installation of .NET Framework 4 it did not attempt to install the other 5 components. I also attach the install log

here is the error log

[02/01/12,15:46:18] Microsoft .NET Framework 4: [2] Error code -2146762482 for this component means "The revocation process could not continue - the certificate(s) could not be checked.
"
[02/01/12,15:46:18] Microsoft .NET Framework 4: [2] Component Microsoft .NET Framework 4 returned an unexpected value.
[02/01/12,15:46:18] Microsoft .NET Framework 4: [2] Return from system messaging: The revocation process could not continue - the certificate(s) could not be checked.

[02/03/12,12:59:43] Microsoft .NET Framework 4: [2] Error code -2146762482 for this component means "The revocation process could not continue - the certificate(s) could not be checked.
"
[02/03/12,12:59:43] Microsoft .NET Framework 4: [2] Component Microsoft .NET Framework 4 returned an unexpected value.
[02/03/12,12:59:43] Microsoft .NET Framework 4: [2] Return from system messaging: The revocation process could not continue - the certificate(s) could not be checked.

[02/03/12,12:59:43] VS70pgui: [2] DepCheck indicates Microsoft .NET Framework 4 is not installed.
[02/03/12,12:59:43] VS70pgui: [2] DepCheck indicates .NET Framework 4 Multi-Targeting Pack was not attempted to be installed.
[02/03/12,12:59:43] VS70pgui: [2] DepCheck indicates Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 Shell (Integrated) - ENU was not attempted to be installed.
[02/03/12,12:59:43] VS70pgui: [2] DepCheck indicates Microsoft SQL Server System CLR Types was not attempted to be installed.
[02/03/12,12:59:43] VS70pgui: [2] DepCheck indicates Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 Management Objects was not attempted to be installed.
[02/03/12,12:59:43] VS70pgui: [2] DepCheck indicates Microsoft Help Viewer 1.0 x64 was not attempted to be installed.
[02/03/12,12:59:43] VS70pgui: [2] CFinishPage::UpdateFinal(): Could not find the readme.htm in the client directory as expected!

Attachments: 

Ok - we've seen that happen before. Please download and install .NET Framework 4.0 separately from here, then try the Intel install again.

Hi Steve,
I tried to load the .NET from the site you suggested, it did not work. I then downloaded the stand alone install and that did not work.

In our group In the modelling group in the University of Aberdeen we have bought about 20 licences for this Fortran compiler software and about half of them have installed without a problems however the other half have not and have similar problems. We all have a similar University software set-up.

Any other ideas.
Cheers
Astley

Did the .NET install give you an error message? If so, what was it? You need to get past that somehow or else VS2010 won't work.

I tried reinstalling .NET with the full standalone package.
It came up with a question do you want to repair the installation. I answered affirmative, it then completed the repair and asked to restart the computer.
After restarting I tried to install the FORTRAN and it stopped at stage 11, with an error thatther was a fatal error in installing the Studio shell. I attach the error log

specific program that causes the error is:_
w_cprof_vs2010_em64t.msi

Attachments: 

Thanks - I have sent the log to the developers and will let you know what they say.

If you want, you can try downloading and installing the 90-day evaluation of VS2010 from Microsoft here, then install Fortran over that. If you can wait a few days befofe doing this, it would be helpful, but in case your need for the compiler is critical you can get working that way.

Astley,

Our developers ask that you run the VS Shell installer separately and let us know what error messages, if any, it produces. Here's how:

1) Run the downloaded package of our installer, e.g.
w_fcompxe_2011.8.278.exe.
2) Uncheck the checkbox "Remove temporarily extracted files after
installation" and remember location of extracted package (e.g.
"C:\Program Files\Intel\Download\w_fcompxe_2011.8.278").
3) Press "Extract" button and when the process finishes and welcome
screen is displayed, press "Cancel" button to cancel installation.
4) Go to the location of extracted package (e.g. "C:\Program
Files\Intel\Download\w_fcompxe_2011.8.278")
5) Under this folder find
"installs\1033\w_cprof_vs2010\VsIntShell.exe" and run it.
6) This executable will try to install VS Shell 2010 and report the reason of
failure.

I am not sure what happened to my previous post, but I had similar behavior when trying to install sql server 2012 ctp4 for the new ssdt features. It turned out I had left a tiny bit of the vnext preview which had features requiring .net 4.5. The ssdt would always crash at installing .net with an unexpected error. Once I cleaned up the vnext preview bit and uninstalled .net 4.5, the .net 4.0 requiring software installed without a problem.

Returns the error message "Visual Studio cannot run in compatibility mode. For more information see the 'Installing' section in the Visual Studio readme at "http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkId=143397"

Very interesting. Try the steps shown in section 2.1.10 of the linked document - skip the manual setting as I doubt that is relevant. Which Windows version are you using?

Would any of the installations you are having trouble with have had or have an installation of Visual Studio 11 Developer Preview and/or .Net4.5?

I tried this and got the same result. However it referred to windows NT

I am using windows 7 Enterprise, service pack 1

None of the problem installations have VS11 or Net 4.5, we have all had to install net 4

Did you look at the registry settings as described in the article?

I think at this point I'd suggest you download the trial version of VS2010 - see if that installs - and you can use Fortran with it for 90 days while we sort this out.

Yes I did delete the registry settings as suggested in the article.

I will load the 90 days VS2010 and load Fortran on top as at the present I am working on a laptop/virtual XP using Compaq fortran then running the executable on the 64 bit dell t1500, as you can imagine this is a tad vexing for program development..

I am downloading it today... it is big.. I assume Visual Studio 2010 professional is OK not the other higher spec versions.

Will let you know if this works...
Cheers
Astley

Yes, Professional is fine. I have engaged our install developers and will let you know if they have other suggestions.

Loaded the Visual Studio OK, had one error message when loading Microsoft Help Viewer 1.0 with the message "An exception occured see event log for detail", however it seems to work OK,

Then Loaded Intel C and Fortran OK..
w_fcompxe_2011.8.278.exe
w_ccompxe_2011.8.278.exe

No problems or error messages for ether.

I have managed to put in some code that was written with Compaq visual fortran and compiled OK. It compiled with the INTEL software with no errors.

So seems to be up and running. Thanks for your help..

The only questions is what happens when the MS VS2010 demo licence runs out?

Cheers

Astley

When the trial runs out you will need to uninstall Fortran and VS2010, and then try to install the compiler with the shell again. But you won't be able to use Intel C++ with the shell.

It's been suggested to me that additional registry keys need to be looked for. Please do this:

1. Click on the start menu, choose Run, type regedit and click OK.
  2. Browse to each of the following keys and delete any value that refers to the shell setup program (named setup.exe):

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Compatibility Assistant\Persisted
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Layers
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Compatibility Assistant\Persisted
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Layers

Yes, the registry key is named Windows NT but that's also correct for Windows 7.

Would not it work if he entered his license key in the VS2010 before the trial expires?

If he wanted to buy VS2010, sure. But if not, and he wanted to use the VS2010 Shell included with Intel Visual Fortran, he would have to uninstall.

Astley,

I have not heard back from you. Are you still having the problem?

Leave a Comment

Please sign in to add a comment. Not a member? Join today