"CATASTROPHIC COMPILER ERROR" FOR TYPE DEFINITION

"CATASTROPHIC COMPILER ERROR" FOR TYPE DEFINITION

I am exploring converting a program written in f77 to a more modern object oriented application. This requires creating a type with many arrays. I found that there is a limit in the amount of arrays I can define within a type. Though it will still compile the module, when I attempt to compile the entire program it gives the catastrophic compileR error, and says to create a problem report. By lowering the number of arrays it once again works. It doesn't seem to matter the dimensions of the arrays. (I am compiling on windows with debug 32 bit)
I would say the limit was in the order of 500 arrays, but I didn't count.

Thanks

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
For more complete information about compiler optimizations, see our Optimization Notice.

Could you attach a program demonstrating this problem so we can investigate?

Thanks,
Annalee

This program fails on compile with the build log seen below. If you comment out a few of the arrays in the module, it then works.This isjust a sample project, most of these arrays are not used at all.

Build Log

Build started: Project: ModuleTest, Configuration: Debug|Win32

Output

Compiling with Intel Visual Fortran Compiler XE 12.1.0.233 [IA-32]...

ifort /nologo /debug:full /Od /warn:interfaces /module:"Debug\" /object:"Debug\" /Fd"Debug\vc100.pdb" /traceback /check:bounds /libs:static /threads /dbglibs /c /Qvc10 /Qlocation,link,"C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\VC\\bin" "C:\Users\hamish\Documents\Visual Studio 2010\Projects\ModuleTest\ModuleTest\MODULE.f90"

ifort /nologo /debug:full /Od /warn:interfaces /module:"Debug\" /object:"Debug\" /Fd"Debug\vc100.pdb" /traceback /check:bounds /libs:static /threads /dbglibs /c /Qvc10 /Qlocation,link,"C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\VC\\bin" "C:\Users\hamish\Documents\Visual Studio 2010\Projects\ModuleTest\ModuleTest\Console1.f90"

C:\Users\hamish\Documents\Visual Studio 2010\Projects\ModuleTest\ModuleTest\Console1.f90(29): catastrophic error: **Internal compiler error: internal abort** Please report this error along with the circumstances in which it occurred in a Software Problem Report. Note: File and line given may not be explicit cause of this error.

compilation aborted for C:\Users\hamish\Documents\Visual Studio 2010\Projects\ModuleTest\ModuleTest\Console1.f90 (code 1)

ModuleTest - 1 error(s), 0 warning(s)

Attachments: 

AttachmentSize
Downloadapplication/zip ModuleTest.zip10.15 KB

Thank you for sharing your code with us. I am able to reproduce the error using 12.1 update 8.

I will investigate this issue and escalate it to the developers.

The Internal Compiler Error occurs when there are 1024 or more allocatable arrays.

I have escalated this to the developers. The issue number is DPD200178249.

I will post any updates on the issue to this thread.

We are planning to include a fix for DPD200178249 in a future release which is scheduled for later this year.

Regards,
Annalee

This is issue has been fixed in Intel® Visual Fortran Composer XE for Windows* 2013 which is now available at the Intel® Registration Center.

Regards,
Annalee
Intel Developer Support
* Other names and brands may be claimed as the property of others.

Leave a Comment

Please sign in to add a comment. Not a member? Join today