path environment variable not updating after install of redistributable library

path environment variable not updating after install of redistributable library

In the (w_fcompxe_redist_ia32_2011.7.258.msi)redistributable instructions it says: "The installation will add the above directory to your environment variable "path" as well."So I was expecting that the path: "C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Common Files\\Intel\\Shared Libraries\\redist\\ia32\\compiler" would be added to my path. However my entire path remains unchanged after install and a reboot.What could cause this?thanks,rob

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
For more complete information about compiler optimizations, see our Optimization Notice.

Is this on a system that already has the compiler installed?

Steve - Intel Developer Support

Yes. I suppose that could be the reason?The thing is, my path doesn't contain the corresponding directory installed by the compiler either (i assume it would be "C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Composer XE 2011 SP1\redist\ia32\compiler").Here is my path after i manually added the redist\ia32\compiler directory:C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Intel\Shared Libraries\redist\ia32\compiler;C:\Program Files (x86)\MATLAB\MATLAB Compiler Runtime\v714\bin\win32;C:\Program Files\Common Files\microsoft shared\windows live;C:\Windows\system32;C:\Windows;C:\Windows\system32\wbem;C:\Windows\system32\windowspowershell\v1.0\;c:\program files\intel\dmix;c:\program files\intel\wifi\bin\;c:\program files\common files\intel\wirelesscommon\;c:\program files\widcomm\bluetooth software\;c:\program files\widcomm\bluetooth software\syswow64;c:\program files (x86)\ntru cryptosystems\ntru tcg software stack\bin\;c:\program files\ntru cryptosystems\ntru tcg software stack\bin\;c:\program files\wave systems corp\gemalto\access client\v5\;c:\program files (x86)\microsoft sql server\90\tools\binn\;c:\program files (x86)\quicktime\qtsystem\;C:\Program Files (x86)\MATLAB\R2010b\bin\win32;C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\Common7\IDE;C:\mingw\bin;Does it matter whichredist\ia32\compiler directory (between the common files one and the program files one) i have on my path on the computer that i am building with?Also, in my release config i get "Non-compatable version of Fortran libifcore DLL was loaded to process address space", but no warnings from my debug config. The two are the same except for some optimization settings (i compared the two from the proj file).thanks,rob

Both the redist package and the compiler install use C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Intel\Shared Libraries\redist\ia32\compiler which is why you did not see a difference. There is no need to install the redist package if you have the compiler installed - that is for running DLL-linked programs on systems where the compiler is not installed. There is a copy of the redistributable compiler files in the compiler's install folder, but that is not added to PATH.

The debug configuration references "debug" DLLs not in the redist area (libifcoremdd.dll) so that may be why you do not see a problem with the debug build. If you would download Dependency Walker, and have it analyze your executable, it may give a hint as to why you are having problems. This particular error message would happen if you had libifcoremd.dll and libifportmd.dll being taken from different locations.

Thanks Steve, that has helped some.I was still having some issues, so i have uninstalled the compiler (among other programs) and reinstalled the latest update 8 (Intel Visual Fortran Compiler XE 12.1.2.278 [IA-32]) which i am using with VS2008. It builds and runs in debug mode, but i am still receiving "Warning during libifport.dll: Non-compatable version of Fortran libifcore DLL was loaded to process address space" when i run the release exe from either VS or windows. I've never had to do anything with the fortran dlls in previous versions of the compiler so i'm not sure what has changed. From a fresh install should i be linking fortran dlls (libifcoremdd.dll? libifportmd.dll? libmmd.dll? etc.) in my project? Reading through the help i don't see anything on this so my guess is no?In dependency walker, i get two errors:MSVCR80.dll (error opening file): this is new. this file is now gone - i assume one of the uninstalls i did today removed it? It would appear that installing IVF does not install this, should i get this file off the web and put it in my system32 directory?IESHIMS.dll(error opening file)The fortran dlls that are mentioned are: LIBIFCOREMD.DLL, LIBIFPORTMD.DLL, LIBMMD.DLL, SVML_DISPMD.DLL, however there are no errors associated with them.I am thouroughly confused now, things were working for years until i installed the latest compiler. I feel like this is a simple problem, but i can't find any useful information in the help or web.thanks,rob

MSVCR80.DLL is a VS2005 DLL. What is referencing MSVCR80.DLL? In Dependency Walker, do a File > Save and attach the saved file to a reply here.

IESHMS.DLL can be ignored.

Do you have another copy of libifcoremd.dll on the system, perhaps in the application directory or copied to one of the Windows systems? Do you get this error if you double-click on your EXE (not running it from VS)?

The dependency walker file should be attached.
MSVCR80 is referenced by some c functions that are included in my project. I installed the 2005 sp1 redistributable again from here:http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/confirmation.aspx?id=5638, however this installation did not seem to produce msvcr80.dll. I am reluctant to grab this file off the web but maybe that's what i need to do? I'm surprised that this file is suddenly missing, i feel like i'm playing DLL whack-a-mole.I have libifcoremd.dll in the following locations:C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Intel\Shared Libraries\redist\ia32\compiler (1019kb, version 12.1.102.102)C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Composer XE 2011 SP1\redist\ia32\compiler (1019kb, version 12.1.102.102)C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Composer XE\redist\ia32\compiler (1019kb, version 12.1.102.102)C:\Windows\SysWOW64 (648kb, version 9.1.110.110)C:\Program Files (x86)\MATLAB\MATLAB Compiler Runtime\v714\bin\win32 (939kb, version 11.1.5.5)So you are correct, indeed there are different versions. The matlab directory is in my path environment variable as well so no doubt this is a problem... I think this would explain some sporadic warnings that some end users have received in the past since they must install the matlab compiler runtime, which adds those same files to their machine and directories to their path environment variable. What do you think is the best way to handle this conflict for both me the developer and for a released version on an end user's machine?

Yes I get the same error from both VS and if i double click the exe in explorer.On another subject, how do you retain blank lines between paragraphs in your posts here on the forum? Once i make a post all of my blank lines are removed and the text is all jammed together.thank you very much!rob

Oy, what a mess...

Yes, the two older versions of LIBIFCOREMD.DLL are hurting you - probably the one in the MATLAB folder the most. It should be ok if the Intel Common Files Redist folder is before MATLAB in PATH. The 9.1 DLL in Windows\SysWOW64 seems a bit odd too - that's the Windows System32 folder for 32-bit apps. I suggest deleting that copy.

The problem with MSVCR80 is that you have this MATLAB DLL referencing it but without a manifest. That requires that the DLL be in PATH or in one of the places Windows looks. Is there one in the MATLAB folder? The VC2005 redist package you installed placed the DLL under Windows\winsxs for DLLs referenced by a manifest, which is the default in VS2005. If you search under that winsxs folder you will undoubtedly find a bunch of MSVCR80.DLL files. Find the newest X86 one and copy it to your executable folder.

As for paragraph spacing, I don't do anything special. Do you get the "visual editor" with the various buttons for bold, italic, etc.?

Those steps have apparently fixed everything.
MSVCR80.DLL is not located in any of my matlab directories.
Would it be a bad idea to also copy LIBIFCOREMD.DLL, LIBIFPORTMD.DLL, LIBMMD.DLL, SVML_DISPMD.DLL to the exe directory and also include these with the installation on end user machines? I would rather not make it necessary for the end users to modify their path.Thank you very much you have helped a lot.rob

Copying those DLLs would be fine.

Leave a Comment

Please sign in to add a comment. Not a member? Join today