Stack overflow in a recursive subroutine

Stack overflow in a recursive subroutine

Hello,

I encountered a stack overflow in a recursive sorting subroutine for three 1-D arrays; two interger(4) and one real(8) arrays. The size of the arrays was 122,230,324. I expect even larger arrays for some other problems. I had used /heap-arrays:0.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
Krishna

37 posts / 0 new
Last post
For more complete information about compiler optimizations, see our Optimization Notice.

Sorting algorithms that use comparisons have a best case recursion depth of order lg N when sorting N items. Algorithms without safeguards can degenerate to recursion depth of order N. Bugs in coding the sort algorithm can also lead to similar pathological behavior.

Even when you use the /heap-arrays option, recursion involves consumption of stack space. It would help if you give a short example with source code where the problem occurs.

Please state the compiler version and OS version.

Some recursive routines are short and consise to state but are resource hogs.
Most of these recursive routines can be replace with a loopiterative process that may have small demands on resources (memory - either allocated or stack).

You may be too young to know what a card sorter is or how it operates. A card sorter is a relatively simple machine. It uses an iterative process whereby it looks at one column of the card as it passes through a reader then picks one of n-bins to drop the card into. After a pass (or during the pass if you are deft enough with your hands) the bins are collected in bin order for use in the next pass selecting on the next column of the card. (In the case of alphanumeric multiple passes on portions of the column may be necessary).

Many good large data set sorting algorithms are based on the card sorter (distribute sub-set to n buckets, then consolidate buckets, move onto next sub-set). Fortext keys or integer keys a radix sort bin distribution can be used. For REAL data you may need to know the dynamic range and or distribution of the data for bin selection chriteria. While this approach may require multiple passes on the data, the passes are sequential memory accesses and are friendly to cach access and hardware prefetching.

A fast sort that stack overflows is useless.

Jim Dempsey

www.quickthreadprogramming.com

Thank you mecej4 and Jim Dempsey for your insights.

Attached are the codes requested by mecej4. Basically the code is modified from ORDERPACK (authored by Michel Olagnon). I isolated the code from the bigger section and tried to reproduce the error in another computer with Windows 7 32-bit OS, 4 GB RAM, but couldn't succeed. It may be because when I was solving a big problem, some of the stack space might have been used by other parts of the code or common blocks. [I cannot use the same computer (Windows 7 64-bit OS, 16 GB RAM) to test at this moment where the error was occured last timebecause that computer is being used for an another big problem analysis and I have to wait fora week or so.]

If the error is OS dependent, I may have to consider using a loop iterative process suggested by Jim Dempsey. I am using the latest IVF 12 update 3 compiler.

To Intel people,

I did not get any runtime error for this problem in release mode.Only upon debugging (after an unusual result), the output window showsa stack overflow message and the attachedunhandled exception popped up at the recursive routine.

Thank you.
Krishna

Attachments: 

Your array size ~123 million would recurse 26 times if split in half but you terminate splits at 16 (2^4) so your call stack would require ~22 levels. From what I see in the calling parameters (references) and stack locals (all scalars)this should not have caused a stack overflow. This leaves subscript out of bounds. I suggest you insert an array index test into your code to assert your various indecies are what you expect (1:Nzua). What you are likely seeing is one of your index arrays (Irr, Jrr) is not having an element filled.IOW odd record count results inan odd number of result indexes and your mege code assuming match pair of results.This in turn results in your code in using an Irr(x)/Jrr(x) where the x'th was not written with a valid index. This not only will present you with wrong results but may intermittantly result in Segment failure. Asymptom of accessing outside of your process Virtual Memory valid address.

Jim Dempsey

Thank you very much Jim Dempsey. I'll check the array indices. However, I believe that you are touching the problem exactly. Does it mean that there is a problem in the subroutine where I generate Irr, Jrr? Or, is it related to split termination at 16 (which I do not understand well)? It only happens when the array size is very big. Small or medium sized arrays are fine. Hence, I believe that my array generationroutine is ok. Or, will an explicit interface help? Appreciate your suggestion onpossible resolution?

It is a characteristic of many sorting algorithms (especially those that use a switchover from one algorithm to another, as in your program) that, when there is a bug in their implementation, still sort the input correctly but at the expense of drastically increased computing time and/or stack consumption.

Knuth comments about this characteristic in Volume 3 of his book The Art of Computer Programming.

As Jim has already written, quicksort involves O ( lg N) recursion levels and O(N lg N) comparisons on average. Without safeguards, a naive implementation can see a degradation of performance to O(N) recursion levels and O(N2) comparisons. You may consider whether something is causing such behavior in your implementation. In particular, is would be easy to test if the recursion level is O( lg N ) or not, using values of N that do not cause the stack overflow that you reported.

The problem (IMHO) is not Stack Overflow. The error message in the .png file stated Access violation writing to location 0x0000000000030ca4. This is a virtual address that is not mapped and does not abutt typical stack addresses, and if it did the address offset (0ca4)is not within the relative size of the program stack consumption (per nest level). This leaves only invalid address generated by the user application

My best guess is one of his index tables is not filled in but is used under the assumption that it was filled in. A guess as to what is going on is the program quits splitting at a threshold of 16 records (nothing wrong with this). However the merge phase (or upper level merge phases) may assume multiples of 16 records... which is not always the case. When it is not the case and the errant code runs there is a possibility where the extracted index represents a valid record number that is not the correct record number and no GP fault occures (bad results occure instead). At other times the incorrect index extracted results in an invalid address and a GP fault occures.

If running in Debug build (_with_ array bounds checking enabled) does not locate the bug then I suggest the user adds

subroutine bugcheck(Nzua, i)
integer:: Nzua, i
if((i .le. 0) .or. (i .gt. Nzua)) then
write(*,*) "Put break point here as there is a bug in your program"
end if
end subroutine bugcheck

Then sprinkle into his code

call bugcheck(Nzua, imil)
call bugcheck(Nzua, ideb)
call bugcheck(Nzua, Irr(imil))
call bugcheck(Nzua, Irr(ideb))
IF
(Irr(imil)THEN

xwrk = Irr(ideb)

call bugcheck(Nzua, Jrr(ideb))
ywrk = Jrr(ideb)

call bugcheck(Nzua, Crr(ideb))
zwrk = Crr(ideb)

IOW add code to verify the indicies and the contents of the indicies in a manner that yields a debugger break point. In examining the state of the program at the point of the discovery will inevitably yield clarity as to the problem.

Jim Dempsey

I should add you can use the preprocessor and

#define chk(x) call bugcheck(Nzua, x)

then use

chk(imil)
chk(ideb)
chk(Irr(imil))

I am not sure about contains subroutine within recursive subroutine. If the contains subroutine is not an issue then the bugcheck subroutine can be a contains subroutine and Nzua need not be passed. Efficiency is not the issue since the diagnostic code will be removed after the bug is fixed.

Jim Dempsey

Many thanks to both of you for the suggestions. I'll update you the debuggingoutcome in a few days (possibly next week).

Best regards,
Krishna

Dear Jim Dempsey,Sorry for not responding for a long time.My problem is still there. I sprinkled the 'bugcheck' at different places in the code but, it doesn't seem to have an array bound problem. I also checked the arrays before calling the sorting routine. It couldn't find any issue with the bounds. For the problem I am trying to solve, it is trying to sort the arrays of sizes NZUA = 122750968. With bugcheck, it breaks at:When it breaks, the values of variables are:imil = 97239581ideb = 97239548ifin = 97239615Irr(imil) = 831990Irr(ideb) = 831990Nzua = 122750968In debug output window, the message was:

First-chance exception at 0x000000013fc69b29 in Program.exe: 0xC00000FD: Stack overflow.

First-chance exception at 0x771c3560 in Program.exe: 0xC0000005: Access violation writing location 0x0000000000180cf4.

Unhandled exception at 0x771c3560 in Program.exe: 0xC0000005: Access violation writing location 0x0000000000180cf4.

I also tried with all the dummy arrays as assumed shape declarations. For this case, the message in the debug output window was:

First-chance exception at 0x000000013f6a8598 in Program.exe: 0xC00000FD: Stack overflow.

First-chance exception at 0x771cfcab in Program.exe: 0xC0000005: Access violation writing location 0x00000000001d0fe8.

Unhandled exception at 0x771cfcab in Program.exe: 0xC0000005: Access violation writing location 0x00000000001d0fe8.

Hope you or someone else has any idea. Many thanks in advance.

Krishna

> Hope you or someone else has any idea?

Not me. Considering that, as far as a cursory glance shows, this is about sorting/partial-ordering, which is a well-worn problem, I'd guess that you have pushed the size of the data set so far beyond what is reasonable that many limits (register size, address limits, stack limits, OS llimits, compiler limits) may have been exceeded.

If you feel that it is worth your time to pin down the reason for the failure, or course, you may do so. If the failure is caused by limits beyond the user's control, I feel that limiting the data set size is the sensible thing to do.

Considering the 4-1/2 month gap between postings, it seems that you may have reached a similar conclusion.

Your screenshot indicates either

a) Line 161 imil = ... is getting the error writing to memory
IOW the address of imil got bunged up

b) Line 162 the call statement is getting the error writing the return address (args are likely passed in registers).

Use the dissassembly window.

Report back:

stack register (rsp)
frame pointer (rbp)

use goto address, 0x771c3560 and see what is in the instruction

use Memory, examine 0x771c3500 (starting 60 bytes before the problem), set view to bytes
The purpose being to see if the code has been modified.
Note, you can copy a representative window around the address 0x771c3560, say -100:+100 bytes and save to text window (Readme.txt)

Start new program run, set break point at lines 160 and162. Break on first time through that section of code, use memory window, around the address 0x771c3560, say -100:+100 bytes and save to text window (Readme.txt) note as "Before". Remove break at 160, press F5 (continue), see if you run to break again or get error on first pass through THEN section. Press F5 to check for error on second pass. No need to run more than 2-5 passes.

Note, report if error occures on any of the first fewpasses. After say 5 passes, remove the break, press F5 see if crash. If so, see if address the same (0x771c3560) recapture instructions as before (making 3rd report). See if code bunged up.

A few years ago I had a similar problem with a bug in Visual Studio (2005). Where the inspection of the code bytes did not show a problem. However the code bytes were altered during program execution, and restored at break. The problem was tricky to find. I ended up adding code to compare the code bytes during run time. I found out that the debugger was setting a break point (one not shown in the break points window) at an address that was not at the start of an instruction byte stream. This resulted in the instruction being executed with incorrect address information. The fix was relatively simple: Open the break points window and select "Delete all break points" (do not delete one by one, or select all and delete selected).

Jim Dempsey

I'll try a run by "deleting all break points" (Ctrl + Shift + F9). However, I think I am close to agree with mecej4. Looking at my problem size and expecting even larger problems in the future, I need to look for alternative ways to either avoid sorting or do it otherway.Many thanks Jim and mecej4.

Quoting krishnabc...The size of the arrays was 122,230,324. I expect even larger arrays for some other problems...
Please take a look at how much memorywill be usedat the beginning of processing:

122,230,324 * 2 * 4 = 977,842,592bytes - 2 integer arrays
122,230,324 * 1 * 8 = 977,842,592bytes -1 double-precision array
1,955,685,184bytes - in total for three arrays

2,147,483,648bytes= 2GB-this is a maximum amount of memory on a 32-bit Windows platforman application could allocate / use
-
1,955,685,184bytes
=
191,798,464bytes - this isthe amount ofmemory left without taking into accounta memory for aFortran application anddependent DLLs.

I'm not sure that ~190MB of memorywill be enough to sort all these three arrays using a resursive
algorithm QuickSort that "switches" to InsertSort at some threshold. I'll do a test withone
122,230,234 elementsarray and the QuickSort algorithm in order to see how much memory will be used.

Sergey Kostrov,Thanks for memory checks. I am trying to solve this problem on a 64-bit Windows platform.

Krishna,

I downloaded your test program and module files.

Using:

Windows 7 x64 (16GB RAM)
Core i7 2600K
Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 Version 19.0.40219.1 SP1 Rel
Intel Parallel Studio XE 2011
Intel Visual Fortran w_fcompxe_2011.9.300
(above is what VS Help shows for IVF)
Output window lists: Intel Visual Fortran Compiler XE 12.1.3.300 [Intel 64]...

Debug, x64 build

Input 122230324 (size you reported in first post)

The program ran to completion.

(no changes to default options other than to add x64 configuration)

Jim Dempsey

BTW, the SORT portion (sans build of arrays) took about 13 seconds in Release Build x64.

In Debug Build

Run up to, but not including allocation of the arrays of 122,230,324 elements each.
Task Manager showed application footprint 704KB.
After allocate 708KB.
What this means is the allocation acquired address space but had not yet acquired memory/page file (which apparently will be deferred until first touch).
As initialization loop ran, the footprint grew. Final size was 1,914,324KB.
Stepping over the call to SORT only bumped the size up a few KB (recursion level may have been about 27 levels).

Did your system run out of space for its page file?

Jim Dempsey

Quoting jimdempseyatthecove...
As initialization loop ran, the footprint grew. Final size was
1,914,324 KB.

It matches toestimated value:
122,230,324 * 2 * 4 = 977,842,592 bytes - 2 integer arrays
122,230,324 * 1 * 8 = 977,842,592 bytes -1 double-precision array
1,955,685,184bytes - in total for three arrays
~1,909,849 KB

This is really a task for a 64-bit platform.

Based on results of my tests this is an extreme case for a 32-bit platform and only one 128MB array
could be sorted at a time.

Here is some statistics for a pure QuickSort algorithm:

Array size: 16777216 // 2^24 - 16MB - Sorted
Array size: 33554432 // 2^25 - 32MB - Sorted
Array size: 67108864 // 2^25 - 64MB - Sorted
Array size: 134217728 // 2^27 - 128MB - Sorted
Array size: 268435456 // 2^28 - 256MB - Failed - Not enough memory
Array size: 536870912 // 2^29 - 512MB - Failed - Not enough memory
Array size: 1073741824 // 2^30 - 1GB - Failed - Not enough memory

A "crash point" for a 32-bit platform with 2GB limit is somewhere between 128MB and 256MB.

Krishna,

On the post with the screenshot you list in the text below the screenshot:
>>

First-chance exception at 0x000000013fc69b29 in Program.exe: 0xC00000FD: Stack overflow.

First-chance exception at 0x771c3560 in Program.exe: 0xC0000005: Access violation writing location 0x0000000000180cf4.

Unhandled exception at 0x771c3560 in Program.exe: 0xC0000005: Access violation writing location 0x0000000000180cf4.
<<

Note:

"at 0x000000013fc69b29"
"at 0x771c3560"

Did you omit the leading zeros?
Or were the leading zeros omitted in the actual error message?

If they were omitted in the original error message, then this leads me to guess that you may be linking to a 32-bit DLL that operates in conjunction with a 64-bit application via "thunks". There are limitations on the data that passes between the 64-bit address space and the 32-bit address space.

Does the mocked-up test program you posted fail for you when compiled as 64-bit application?
(IOW you compile the actual code you sent, as opposed to assuming it is the same as compiling equivilent code in your applicaiton). We want you to eliminate unknowns for us.

Jim Dempsey

One more thing.

How much RAM does your system have?

Windows by default sets the page file size == physical RAM size.
i.e. if you are on a 4GB system, you may need to change the properties on the page file to permit it to grow.

If you noted in my response with successfully running your program, the page file did NOT expand at the point in the program of the allocation. The expansion of the page file occured during the "first touch" writes of the initialization data (RANDOM...). Testing for allocation failure at allocation point only catches exhaustion of address space (not the same as committed page file space). Thereforewhen a"first touch" to a page in virtual memory that is not mapped to the page file, and when the subsequent allocation of page from page file exceeds capacity of page file, you will receive an error writing (or reading if reading before initialization).

Jim Dempsey

Hi Krishna, Consider an abstract case:

- There arethree arrays of~128MB size:

Two'Integers' arrays
One'Double-Precision' array

- Let's assume thatvalues in'Integer' arrays satisfy tothe following condition:

Values randomly generated,positive and in some range from 0 to N, where N < 65,536

1.In order to achieve as better as possible performance when sorting 'Integer' arraysPegionhole
algorithm could be used. Performance gains are significant (!) becausePegionhole sorts an array of
integers in two passes. For differentarrays with sizes from 64MB to 256MB performance improvements
on a 32-bit Windowsplatform were from 50x to 120x.

Advantages of Pegionhole:

- it is iterative
- significantly faster, compared to pureQuick or Heap sorting algorithms

Disadvantages of Pegionhole:

- needs a temporary buffer of some size ( in above assumedcase 65,536 integers)
- values must be in some limitedrange
- if values arenot positive they could be "normalized" first, and "denormalized" as soon
as sorting done

2. Since sizes ofall arrays are greater than 64MB thenHeapSort algorithm willsort'Double-Precision'
arrayfaster then pureQuickSort.

I've just completed a series oftests and all my statementsbased on real results. A "breaking" point
betweenHeapSortand pureQuickSort algorithms is 64MB for an array size.For a long time I've
considered QuickSort algorithm asfastest, compared to HeapSort, and I was surprised to seea different result.

Best regards,
Sergey

This is a follow up.

Relative performance of Quick and Heap sorting algorithms for different sizes of array and it is based on
results of tests I just completed.

Array
size QuickSort HeapSort

16MB 2.4x faster 1.0x
32MB 1.5x faster 1.0x
64MB 1.0x 1.2x faster
128MB 1.0x 2.2x faster
160MB 1.0x 2.8x faster
192MB 1.0x 3.2x faster

I hope that information will be useful for software developers workingon projects with large data sets.

Dear Jim Dempsey,Yes, you are right. The test program (sorting) ran to completion for the given size of arrays (122230324) in 64-bit platform. However, the same code fails in the actual program for about the same size of arrays. My computer configuration is similar to yours one.

Windows 7 x64 (16GB RAM)

Intel Core i7-2600 CPU @ 3.40 GHz

Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 Ultimate

Version 10.0.40219.1 SP1Rel

Microsoft .NET Framework

Version 4.0.30319 SP1Rel

Intel Visual Fortran Package ID: w_fcompxe_2011.9.300

I tried to run the program (my actual one with above codes) for several times, it failed at the sorting routine for almost all the times. It passes over the sorting routine a few times (2-3 times) successfully. However, I didn't get theexpectedresults (expected results means, either convergence or divergence of my solver). In all other cases, when my problem size is smaller than this, I have no problem with my solver and the results are correct (verified with analytical solutions and we have been using it for quite some years). Hence, I really need to investigate the cause carefully.

Thank you.

I monitored the the memory usage in Task manager for the attached code (post #3) and for array size (122230324), the commit, working set, and private all were in line with your results.For the actual problem, where it usually fails for about the same size of arrays, the memory usage are:before stepping over the call to SORT:Commit (KB) = 3,154,996Working set (KB) = 3,106,844Private (KB) = 3,105,284after stepping over the call to SORT:Commit (KB) = 3,155,552Working set (KB) = 3,107,400Private (KB) = 1,924,908The larger memory usage in the actual code could be due to other portion of the codes. I think page file space shouldn't be a problem because it is same as RAM (16GB), total virtual memory is 32 GB, available virtual memory is 27.3 GB.Thank you.Krishna

No, the errors posted in #10 are actual errors in the output window (no truncation at all). The only part that I have modified is the name of the program when I pasted it here.The mocked-up test program didn't fail, but I am encoutering the said errors on the same code in my actual program. The difference in mocked up program and the actual program is the input values of arrays. Here, they are randomly generated. In actual code, they are generated from stiffness properties in finite elements.In the same post (post #) another error message occured using all the dummy arrays declared with assumed shape (:) throughout the program. With such declarations, some redundant arguments are taken out. For example,(1) Routine SORT: The first argument Nzua is taken out. It is obtained using UBOUND(Irr,1)inside routine.(2) Routine SETSORT: The first argument Nzua is taken out.(3) Routine INSORT: The last argument Nzua is taken out.Thank you.

Dear Sergey Kostrov,Thanks for your test results for comparing various sorting algorithms. I'll take a look whether swapping to Heap sort can resolve my problem. At this moment, my major concern is not the speed but to able the solve the large problems correctly. Speed will come later.Thanks.Krishna

Quoting krishnabc...At this moment, my major concern is not the speed but to able the solve the large problems correctly. Speed will come later...

This is what I would do as well. Good luck in investigation!

Let me know if you need a C++template based codes for the Heap sorting algorithm. I could release the
codes because originallythey were from a public domain.I've done somemodification before integrating
into a project I'm currently working on.

Best regards,
Sergey

Now, with all the dummy arrays declared in assumed shape format, the following is the exception message in output window when it breaks at recursive routine:

First-chance exception at
0x000000013f2885b8 in Program.exe: 0xC00000FD: Stack overflow.

'Program.exe': Loaded 'C:\Program
Files (x86)\Intel\Composer XE 2011
SP1\redist\intel64\compiler\1033\ifcore_msg.dll', Binary was not built with
debug information.

First-chance exception at
0x772e3560 in Program.exe: 0xC0000005: Access violation writing location
0x0000000000040ff4.

Unhandled exception at 0x772e3560
in Program.exe: 0xC0000005: Access violation writing
location 0x0000000000040ff4.

>>The difference in mocked up program and the actual program is the input values of arrays

In post #6 mecej writes:

"quicksort involves O ( lg N) recursion levels and O(N lg N) comparisons on average. Without safeguards, a naive implementation can see a degradation of performance to O(N) recursion levels and O(N2) comparisons"

It is possible you are seeing something nearO(N) recursion levels.

It should be easy enough to replace the SORT subroutine and see what happens. Get the code to work correctlyfirst, then work faster second.

Jim Dempsey

>>I think page file space shouldn't be a problem because it is same as RAM (16GB), total virtual memory is 32 GB, available virtual memory is 27.3 GB

Verify.

Start the System Monitor, add Page file to charts. Run program to failure. See where chart maxed out.

Jim Dempsey

>>I tried to run the program (my actual one with above codes) for several times, it failed at the sorting routine for almost all the times. It passes over the sorting routine a few times (2-3 times) successfully. However, I didn't get theexpectedresults (expected results means, either convergence or divergence of my solver). In all other cases, when my problem size is smaller than this, I have no problem with my solver and the results are correct.

Convergence/divergence problems are often related to how you determine convergence. Some techniques are more accurate than others. And other techniques are not reliable. The accumulation of roundoff errors is usually the culprit but there are others such as divide by 0/near-0.

Are NaN's produced?

Jim Dempsey

Quoting krishnabc

...First-chance exception at 0x000000013f2885b8 in Program.exe: 0xC00000FD: Stack overflow...

Could you increasethe StackReserve and Commit valuesin the Project settings?

>>Convergence/divergence problems are often related to how you determine convergence. Some techniques are more accurate than others. And other techniques are not reliable. The accumulation of roundoff errors is usually the culprit but there are others such as divide by 0/near-0.
Agree. I have several algorithms(6/7 methods)to solve the linear system. The same problem can be solved with the method which doesn't use sorting routine, but it fails with all the methods that use sorting routine.
>>Are NaN's produced?
No. Whatever residual norm is produced in the first iteration (which seems in the reasonable range), remains unchanged/unaffected with increasing iteration.

Quoting krishnabc...The same problem can be solved with the method which doesn't use sorting routine, but it fails with all
the methods that use sorting routine...

Krishna,

1. Could you try to comment a call to the sorting routing in a method that uses it? Even if results of the
computationswill be wrong it would be interesting to see ifthe methodworks without a crash.

2.Do you have a separate test for the sorting routing? You need to verify that it doesn't havesome
internal problems.

Best regards,
Sergey

>>The same problem can be solved with the method which doesn't use sorting routine, but it fails with all the methods that use sorting routine.

It may be time for you to take a detour and to try to isolate the cause of the problem. Yes, this is more work, but current diagnostic attempts have not produced a solution.

You have a situation where using SORT causes a problem where non-SORT methods do not. Let's isolate the SORT which should be relatively easy to do.

Replace the SORT with a subroutine that

writes data to file
runs seperate process to sort file
reads sorted data from file

I know that this is not what you want to run, but it may help you isolate the problem.

You know from running your sketch code with random data that this did not get Stack Overflow.
The above, with modification to your sketch code to read data from file and write to file, will verify if the problem is data dependent. IOW does the sort fail in the sketch code depending on values to be sorted?

a) If the sort fails at some time during the run then the problem is a data dependency with the sort code.
b) If the solver program runs to completion, then there may be a resource issue (or other unknown problem)
c) If the solver program fails, then you may have a data dependency issue with respect to convergence .OR. other programming error (uninitialized data, unallocated data, corruption of data).

Jim Dempsey

Leave a Comment

Please sign in to add a comment. Not a member? Join today