Compaq Visual Fortran help needed

Compaq Visual Fortran help needed

Several years ago we bought licenses for Compaq Visual Fortran. Compaq was bought by HP. This software then was sold to Intel.

We are upgrading to new PCs and are trying to install this Fortran package on them. At the point in the installation process where we input the license number, the install quits because of an invalid license number.

How do we get past this error so that we can install the Fortran package?

Thanks,
emily.jordan@tinker.af.mil

44 posts / 0 new
Last post
For more complete information about compiler optimizations, see our Optimization Notice.

Quoting - emilyjordan
Several years ago we bought licenses for Compaq Visual Fortran. Compaq was bought by HP. This software then was sold to Intel.

We are upgrading to new PCs and are trying to install this Fortran package on them. At the point in the installation process where we input the license number, the install quits because of an invalid license number.

No, HP retained ownership of CVF.
CVF is difficult to install on newer OS. It depends on modified Microsoft components for which support was dropped several years ago. You may have to give more detail, in case someone here is able to help.

Yours is perhaps the fourth or fifth report I have seen recently of this problem. I do not know of any reason why the CVF install should "suddenly" stop accepting valid serial numbers, but CVF is unsupported and no resources are available to investigate or fix this. (I asked the engineer who worked on the CVF installer and he said he no longer has a copy of the sources.)

I haven't been able to reproduce the problem on my system. It's a mystery, but it looks as if it will stay that way. HP has nobody who could help even if they wanted to. All I can suggest is that it's time to put CVF to rest and switch to Intel Visual Fortran.

Retired 12/31/2016

A few months ago I tried to install CVF and also had the same problem. I have switched to Intel, but I was investigating some legacy source code and wanted to step through the code to understand it better. I made a first shot at compiling it with Intel, but realized it would take some work (and there were someother issues with that also).

I have VMware player (and I know Microsoft has a virtual machine also). Are there old, VM,versions of operating systems out there that CVF would install on? Or would there likely still be problems? Anyone have thoughts on this?

I don't think it's an OS issue - I've seen reports on Windows XP and Windows Server 2003, both older OSes. I can't even think of what might be going on behind the scenes to make this stop working. The one common thread seems to be a floating license serial number, but the install itself doesn't do anything other than look at the serial number to see if it's valid.

If you need help getting going with Intel Visual Fortran, we'd be glad to assist.

Retired 12/31/2016

Hello Steve,

in an institution i am sometimes working for, we have the following observation.

There are computer where we were able to install CVF on a new OS installation (Win XP Prof.). After using this installation we have removed the installation for testing. Now we are not able to install CVF newly. The difference between both is at least the installation of all new windows updates.

We havent tried by now to start with the old original OS recovery. (No time by now)

We have tried academic licences and single commercial licences. The same problem with both.

Frank

To the original poster: which version of CVF are you trying to install?
I have CVF installed on a workstation operating Window XP professional dated 2002, with SP3 . I First install Developer studio with the CVF Standard 5.0x to 6.6 standard upgrade using its supplied key. This requires the use of a special 'previous' key xxx, supplied by Compaq (or maybeHP)as the previous 5.0x keywill not work. Then I install a Standard to Professional 6.6 upgrade using its supplied key, followed by the 6.6 to 6.6c update. CVF in Developer Studio continues to run OK for me, and I had to re-install it last year when I screwed up my software registry keys. I had no problem.

Quoting - anthonyrichards

To the original poster: which version of CVF are you trying to install?
I have CVF installed on a workstation operating Window XP professional dated 2002, with SP3 . I First install Developer studio with the CVF Standard 5.0x to 6.6 standard upgrade using its supplied key. This requires the use of a special 'previous' key xxx, supplied by Compaq (or maybeHP)as the previous 5.0x keywill not work. Then I install a Standard to Professional 6.6 upgrade using its supplied key, followed by the 6.6 to 6.6c update. CVF in Developer Studio continues to run OK for me, and I had to re-install it last year when I screwed up my software registry keys. I had no problem.

Not beeing the original poster i would like to add our configuration.
In our part it is CVF 6.5 Prof. The CDs are in the same box as the key.

The problem is depended to the computer. There are computers with the problem and computers without the problem. No systematic for us.

Frank

It is Professional Edition Version 6.5 that we are having trouble loading.

Emily,

Send me an email at steve.lionel at intel.com with the serial number you are using. I can at least check to see if it is correct. But if it is, there's nothing I can do to help work around the issue.

Retired 12/31/2016

Quoting - Steve Lionel (Intel)
Emily,

Send me an email at steve.lionel at intel.com with the serial number you are using. I can at least check to see if it is correct. But if it is, there's nothing I can do to help work around the issue.

Emily,

Although I have not had any problems intalling CVF yet (Touch wood!) I have experienced installation problems with other software applications and the usual cause is one of security settings. I'm wondering if a security update has barred the way for the installer to get at the licence file.

This is a long shot as no-one else has suggested it but maybe worth checking out. You will probably need administrator status to install CVF.

There is no license file involved at this point. Something is interfering with the installer's code that validates the serial number. It is a straightforward mathematical test that does not involve external files.

Retired 12/31/2016

I ran into this same problem this week running with XP SP2. I tried several different computers without any success. I could finally load it on a Window 2003 Server. As as result, I built virtual machine just for this development.

Best of luck.

Quoting - tim18

No, HP retained ownership of CVF.
CVF is difficult to install on newer OS. It depends on modified Microsoft components for which support was dropped several years ago. You may have to give more detail, in case someone here is able to help.

If we cannot resolve the Compaq license numbers and end up buying Intel Visual Fortran, we will be using it with Vista and will not have adminstrator privileges. Will it be necessary to buy Microsoft Visual Studion to get everything to work? Will we be able to use the Fortran IDE? And will the command-line tools for compiling work?

Thanks.

You will not need to buy anything extra - Intel Visual Fortran includes the necessary Visual Studio bits, just as CVF did. You will be able to use the Visual Studio IDE to develop. Its appearance is a bit different from CVF, but the fundamentals are mostly the same. You should read my whitepaper on migrating to CVF for details.

The administrator privileges thing is a question mark, though. I know that for VS2005, administrator privileges are required but I think maybe not for VS2008. By the time you buy, 11.1 will be out and it uses VS2008 as the IDE. I can do an experiment on this and will let you know what I find.

Retired 12/31/2016

I verified that a "Standard" user can use the Visual Studio 2008 IDE as provided by Intel Visual Fortran 11.1 on Windows Vista. No admin privileges needed.

Retired 12/31/2016

There is no license file involved at this point. Something is interfering with the installer's code that validates the serial number. It is a straightforward mathematical test that does not involve external files.

Steve,
Thank you for the info about the license numbers. Today we loaded the Compaq Fortran on an HP DC5850S that was running Vista. We used the 2nd of the "Good" license numbers and it was accepted. Then we attempted to load the same software on an HP XW8600 Workstation, runningVista,(which is the final destination for all us). The install failed due to "invalid" license number.

So perhaps we can clear Microsoft Vista from causing the error and attribute to the HP hardware?

Quoting - emilyjordan

Steve,
Thank you for the info about the license numbers. Today we loaded the Compaq Fortran on an HP DC5850S that was running Vista. We used the 2nd of the "Good" license numbers and it was accepted. Then we attempted to load the same software on an HP XW8600 Workstation, runningVista,(which is the final destination for all us). The install failed due to "invalid" license number.

So perhaps we can clear Microsoft Vista from causing the error and attribute to the HP hardware?

Hello,

have a look if there is a difference between both computers in the part of what Intel is calling "CPU Execute Disable Bit" (short XD) or AMD is calling "no-execute page-protection". This might be the course in combination with the microsoft Data Execution Prevention .

Frank

Emily,

I have literally NO idea what might be causing this problem. None. It hardly seems possible to me, yet you are not the only user to report it. What I find suspicious is that all of the reports started coming in about a month or so ago, so SOMETHING changed on peoples' systems that caused some of them to start rejecting the numbers. I can't think of what could do that.

Retired 12/31/2016

Quoting - tropfen
Hello,

have a look if there is a difference between both computers in the part of what Intel is calling "CPU Execute Disable Bit" (short XD) or AMD is calling "no-execute page-protection". This might be the course in combination with the microsoft Data Execution Prevention .

Frank

Frank,
I think you are zeroing in on the problem. The PC with a successful load has an AMD processor. The PC with an unsuccessful load has an Intel processor. Can we get to this Disable bit and change its value? or something?

Thanks.

All relatively recent Intel processors also support this option.

You can try turning it on or off by right clicking on My Computer and selecting Properties. Then click on Advanced, Performance > Settings, Data Execution Prevention. You can select to remove DEP from specific executables. If you wanted to try this, name the X86SETUP.EXE and not the one at the top level.

Retired 12/31/2016

All relatively recent Intel processors also support this option.

You can try turning it on or off by right clicking on My Computer and selecting Properties. Then click on Advanced, Performance > Settings, Data Execution Prevention. You can select to remove DEP from specific executables. If you wanted to try this, name the X86SETUP.EXE and not the one at the top level.

We tried this today, but it made no difference. We were stopped again with the invalid license number message. We rebooted the PC after adding setup.exe to the table. We even tried all license numbers, but no progress.

Anything else we might try? Thanks.

I would not have expected this to matter, as DEP, if it gets triggered, gives you an error message and the program stops.

Have you tried booting the system in Safe Mode and doing the install?

Retired 12/31/2016

I would not have expected this to matter, as DEP, if it gets triggered, gives you an error message and the program stops.

Have you tried booting the system in Safe Mode and doing the install?

i know i am a little late to this party however i am having the same problems attempting to install CVF 6.1 on some newly built cpu's running Windows XP SP3. i am however able to install it on my laptop which is also running Windows XP SP3. there are a few differences between the machines which i will try to use as a starting point to help trouble shoot this problem a little more. the Laptop has all MS Security patches up through June 09, the Desktops have all MS Security patches (so i will load each of the July updates one at a time to see if one of them may be causing a problem), also my laptop is not part of a domain and is not getting any security policies pushed down to it, the Desktops are part of a domain and are receiving security policies. after loading the updates i will start to sort through the security policies. those are the only real differences between the machines other than hardware which i am 99.9999999% sure is not the problem. i'll post back if i find anything.

Nathan

Quoting - party301

i know i am a little late to this party however i am having the same problems attempting to install CVF 6.1 on some newly built cpu's running Windows XP SP3. i am however able to install it on my laptop which is also running Windows XP SP3. there are a few differences between the machines which i will try to use as a starting point to help trouble shoot this problem a little more. the Laptop has all MS Security patches up through June 09, the Desktops have all MS Security patches (so i will load each of the July updates one at a time to see if one of them may be causing a problem), also my laptop is not part of a domain and is not getting any security policies pushed down to it, the Desktops are part of a domain and are receiving security policies. after loading the updates i will start to sort through the security policies. those are the only real differences between the machines other than hardware which i am 99.9999999% sure is not the problem. i'll post back if i find anything.

Nathan

i have eliminated any kind of active directory security policy as a possibility and will not start working on Security Updates.

Nathan

Quoting - party301

i have eliminated any kind of active directory security policy as a possibility and will not start working on Security Updates.

Nathan

my apologies but i had not realized that i had not synced my GPO settings. so on a fresh Windows XP installation i was able to install CVF 6.1 with all current MS Security Updates. once i added it to my domain i was fine until it was added to an OU with more restrictive security settings. so i will be working through those settings to see if i can determine which one is giving me problems.

Nathan

Quoting - party301

my apologies but i had not realized that i had not synced my GPO settings. so on a fresh Windows XP installation i was able to install CVF 6.1 with all current MS Security Updates. once i added it to my domain i was fine until it was added to an OU with more restrictive security settings. so i will be working through those settings to see if i can determine which one is giving me problems.

Nathan

well, i'm not sure if any of you guys are still having this problem or still checking this thread, but i found out what was causing the problem on my end. we had applied a registry setting to disable autorun (because the government doesn't like autorun) and this caused the invalid cd-key error message.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMICROSOFTWindows NTCurrentVersionIniFileMappingAutorun.inf]
@="@SYS:DoesNotExist"

once i deleted the above key i was able to install CVF 6.1 without any problems. once the key was replaced i could no longer install CVF 6.1

Nathan

I too have been stuck with trying to re-install Compaq Visual Fortran (version 6.0) on a PC which had to be "rebuilt". First it wouldn't take the serial number, then after some "security" enhancements here it wouldn't even do autorun when the install disk is inserted. Deleting that registry key did NOT get autorun to work, but I got around that by making a bat file that tries to mimick the ini file. Now install runs, but still won't take my serial numbers. There the ones right off the package, and worked many times in the past.

Quoting - party301

....i found out what was causing the problem on my end. we had applied a registry setting to disable autorun.. and this caused the invalid cd-key error message.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMICROSOFTWindows NTCurrentVersionIniFileMappingAutorun.inf]
@="@SYS:DoesNotExist"

once i deleted the above key i was able to install CVF 6.1 without any problems. once the key was replaced i could no longer install CVF 6.1

Nathan

Alas that makes no difference in my case.

I had CVF6.6.0, then A, then C, all installed and working fine.
Because ofa rebuild of the system (complete replacement disk image) I had to re-install CVV6.6, which worked fine. Next, I uninstalled it so that I could re-install it again in a different path in the same laptop and, bang. Serial rejected. I've tried and tried everything. Sometimes it tells me there are too many installs. Other times it says its an invalid serial.

Nothing I've read in this thread and tried myself works. CVF 6.6 will not re-install.
---
John

Quoting - johnwasilewski

Alas that makes no difference in my case.

I had CVF6.6.0, then A, then C, all installed and working fine.
Because ofa rebuild of the system (complete replacement disk image) I had to re-install CVV6.6, which worked fine. Next, I uninstalled it so that I could re-install it again in a different path in the same laptop and, bang. Serial rejected. I've tried and tried everything. Sometimes it tells me there are too many installs. Other times it says its an invalid serial.

Nothing I've read in this thread and tried myself works. CVF 6.6 will not re-install.
---
John

IT CAN BECAUSED BYANTIVIRUS!

I had the same problem, and finally it turned out that it was my antivirus McAfee which blocked the access. To resolve it, I temporarily disabled "Access Protection" at the McAfee VirusScan Console, then I successfully reinstalled Compaq Fortran.

Quoting - alexbespalov

IT CAN BECAUSED BYANTIVIRUS!

I had the same problem, and finally it turned out that it was my antivirus McAfee which blocked the access. To resolve it, I temporarily disabled "Access Protection" at the McAfee VirusScan Console, then I successfully reinstalled Compaq Fortran.

Good day. I've just stumbled onto this thread as a result of this same diagnostic and Google. In our case CVF is not used much, but we do require it from time to time for legacy support. Disabling McAfee did not help. :-(

My questions are pretty simple. Does any one have a definitive solution for this matter? Or even more things to try out? I have an engineer who just got a new laptop. His old unit will be returned this week. I've tried every suggestion mentioned in this thread in various combinations. We even tried dialing back the date to 2002 with no effect.

Anotherexperiment we tried was to pull CVF from the old system and try to re-install. The re-install failed the same way. So something has been updated sufficiently on the old system to change the system environment so the installation is impacted. And the new system landed like that. Since most of you do not work for Honeywell, the finger sort of points to MS. I have not tried an installtion on a more primitive W/XP system. That might be our fall-back if this cannot be resolved.

But we would prefer to figure this out. Our new laptops come from our IT people with W/XP SP2 and a product called McAfee SafeBoot installed. We don't have a lot of control over these systems, so installing CVF early in the new laptop setup process in not an option, unfortunately.

Thanks for what ever feedback you can provide. Brent Sterner (Honeywell)

Our office eventually found a solution, although I can't reproduce the problem scientifically with a virtual machine.

We had clicked on all of the setup executables, tried a bunch of stuff, and when we rebooted we got messages about our 16-bit this or that subsystem being tied up. So the theory is that once you start up one of the installation exe's the wrong way, it ties up the subsystem and nothing else will work after that until you reset the system.

So, we started with a system that would not show the Fortran version number in the installer spash screen (our first symptom), and would not run the x86setup.exe.

1. It looked like part of the problem was that the program could not access data on the CD. We copied the installation CD contents to our hard drive.

2. On the hard drive we went to x86setup.exe, right-click > properties > compatibility tab > check
"run this program in compatibility mode for" > select "windows 2000" from the dropdown.

3. Run x86setup.exe. If you ran any of the other installers (setup.exe, x86setupx86.exe) since the last time you rebooted, then it won't work.

That's what my co-worker says he did. Corrections welcome.

Iam experiencingexactly the same problem.

MyPC is onWindows 7. I installed CVF6.1 soon after I got the PC, andit took me serval days to finally stopCVF6.1 from shutting downwhen starting a project. But from last week it keeps shutting down again, so I decided to reinstall it, then, bang, the "invalid serial number" message appeared.

Since I have a huge manylegacy fortran77/90/C mixed programming projects (with so many subroutine argument mismaches and very complicated compiling options),it is very diffcult to migrate them to IVF projects, at least I need using CVF result as a control so as to finally make them work on IVF in the future.

I tried all the methods mentioned in this thread butnone of themworks. Anybody any luck?

This solution worked for us. Removing the autorun registry entryfrom the locationlisted above (and then re-implementing it after install) worked fine (and this included copying the contents to the HD 1st, just in case).

Just to clean it up a little to make it easier to read:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/MICROSOFT/Windows NT/CurrentVersion/IniFileMapping/Autorun.inf]

(Remove the entire Entry for Autorun.inf)

--KC

Thanks everyone for your help!Just to confirm, the CVF 6.6 WILL install on XP Pro SP3 after removing the Autorun key from the registry:[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/MICROSOFT/Windows NT/CurrentVersion/IniFileMapping/Autorun.inf]AND rebooting my machine.

Thanks forkpcaseyand mrpphung !! setup is completed by following your method.Before try to your solution, I consider the call-back my OS to XP w/ SP2.But after very simple way of yours, I finished setup my CVF 6.0 successfully.Thanks again.

Hi.

Adding to this old post, I have Windows 7 Enterprise. I copied all installers on HD, and I tried installing with setup.exe. This worked fine for me in my previous notebooks (HP6930 and I do not recall the model of the previous one) with Win XP SP3.

This time, I received the message about an invalid license.

I checked the registry, and I have no key or branch IniFileMapping under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/MICROSOFT/Windows NT/CurrentVersion, so that was not an option to try for me.

I set X86\setupx86.exe to run in Compatibility mode for WinXP SP3 (for all users, just in case, as I was installing as admin), and launched installation from that .exe, which went through smoothly as I was used to before.

Then when running Developer Studio, the program stopped without even launching completely. I suspected that the executable had to be set for Compatibility as well. So I set C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\Common\MSDEV98\BIN\DFDEV.EXE to run in Compatibility mode for WinXP SP3 (for all users, again). And now it launched the IDE ok.

I guess that when performing different operations (compiling, linking, etc.) from the IDE, I may find other similar problems, which may require repeating the operation for other exe files. I did not try any of this yet. One option is to set all executable files (and perhaps dlls?) in the directory trees of CVF to run in Compatibility mode with WinXP SP3. I will see what I find.

Hope this helps.

Update:

I tried opening a workspace (celsius.dsw, which comes with CVF), and I get the error "Microsoft (R) Developer Studio has stopped working". The only option I get is to close the program. This is what I anticipated.

This is the same error I received before when first trying to run Developer Studio, and which was solved setting Compatibility mode for DFDEV.EXE. So I tried setting Compatibility mode for all .exe's in the tree C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio. Unfortunately, this did not work, and I am now stuck.

I do not know what else to try. Any ideas?

I still have to try if I can compile/link from the command line.

Update #2:

df celsius.for created celsius.exe, which worked ok. So, I can compile and link. The issue is with some component of the Visual Studio, or perhaps with some other common component of Windows. Any clue?

Thanks

The usual recommendation is an XP Mode virtual environment.

Retired 12/31/2016

Ok, I meant to avoid such options. I will Google around about this, since it is a separate topic. But for the time being:

1- Is XP Mode virtual environment "exactly" as a Win XP booting in a WMWare? (that would increase significantly the resources required as compared to the usual CVF).

2- Is it like a Win XP SP3?

3- Do you have any info on people succeeding in overcoming issues with CVF + Win7 this way? Most of the reports in this thread actually refer to issues with CVF + WinXP, so the solution would not apply to them...

I am setting up IFORT 10.1 in the meantime, to migrate.

Thanks

XP Mode is exactly like running XP SP3 in a virtual machine, as that's what it is. Just Microsoft's version of a virtual machine rather than VMware, Yes, others have been successful at this and I've done it myself so that I can run CVF on my Win7 x64 system.

Why such an old version of IVF?

Retired 12/31/2016

Hello Santiago,

i had also problems with the CVF installation on pure Win XP installations. During the last year we finished our transition to Win7 64bit. We never had any problems to install CVF based on the XP Mode. The only annoying think is the slow performance.

Frank

Leave a Comment

Please sign in to add a comment. Not a member? Join today