Bug in Fortran Visual Compiler

Bug in Fortran Visual Compiler

Hi there

I think I found a bug in Visual Fortran Compiler 10.1.025. It is about a subroutine used to solve nonlinear equations with MFP approach (see below). The brief code is to apply equation Y = X^2 - 25 just for checking purpose.

The problem is that when I add two printing commands on lines 10 and 20, the code works perfectly, but when I omit them it does not! In fact, it can be checked by inputting 0.001, 100, 1 and 10 respectively to get X= 5.

Could someone let me know if it is a bug or I made a mistake? I compiled the subroutine with another compiler and it worked even after omitting the two printing commands.

Many thanks

Hamid

1 READ*, ERS, IMAX, EPSDPER, EPSDMAX

EPSL = EPSDPER; EPSU = EPSDMAX

CALL MFP(EPSL, EPSU, EPSD, ERS, ERA, ITER, IMAX)

GO TO 1

END

FUNCTION F(X)

F = X**2-25

RETURN

END

SUBROUTINE MFP(EPSL, EPSU, EPSD, ERS, ERA, ITER, IMAX)

ITER = 0

FL = F(EPSL)

FU = F(EPSU)

10 PRINT*, 'FL=', FL, 'FU=', FU

DO

EPSDOLD = EPSD

EPSD = EPSU - FU * (EPSL - EPSU) / (FL - FU)

20 PRINT*, 'EPSL=', EPSL, 'EPSU=', EPSU

FR = F(EPSD)

ITER = ITER + 1

C print*, 'iter=', iter

C100 PRINT*, 'EPSD=', EPSD

IF (EPSD.NE.0) ERA = ABS((EPSD - EPSDOLD) / EPSD) * 100

PRINT*, 'ERA=', ERA

TEST = FL * FR

IF (TEST.LT.0) THEN

EPSU = EPSD

FU = F(EPSU)

IU = 0

IL = IL + 1

IF (IL.GE.2) FL = FL / 2

ELSE IF (TEST.GT.0) THEN

EPSL = EPSD

FL = F(EPSL)

IL = 0

IU = IU + 1

IF (IU.GE.2) FU = FU / 2

ELSE

ERA = 0

END IF

print*, 'ERA=', ERA

IF (ERA.LT.ERS .OR. ITER.GT.IMAX) EXIT

END DO

AMFP1 = EPSD

PRINT*, 'X=', AMFP1

RETURN

END

30 posts / 0 new
Last post
For more complete information about compiler optimizations, see our Optimization Notice.

I'm not sure what I should be seeing, as no matter how I try it, it prints X - 5. at the end. However, I do see a bug in your code. There's an IF-THEN-ELSE in the subroutine which sets variables IL and IU. If TEST is not zaero, then there will be a reference to an uninitialized variable IL or IU, depending on the sign of TEST, and this will affect the value of FL or FU. I'm not certain that this is relevant to the problem you're seeing, but it is suspicious.

Steve - Intel Developer Support

Quoting - Steve Lionel (Intel)

I'm not sure what I should be seeing, as no matter how I try it, it prints X - 5. at the end. However, I do see a bug in your code. There's an IF-THEN-ELSE in the subroutine which sets variables IL and IU. If TEST is not zaero, then there will be a reference to an uninitialized variable IL or IU, depending on the sign of TEST, and this will affect the value of FL or FU. I'm not certain that this is relevant to the problem you're seeing, but it is suspicious.

Many thanks for this. But, there is still the same problem.

Could you check the following subroutine with a Visual Fortran Compiler. When it works with another compiler (like the second compiler I used), it seems that there is something wrong with the visual compiler. I do not know how the printing commands can affect the result.

GO TO 1

END

FUNCTION F(X)

F = X**2-25

RETURN

END

ITER = 0; IL = 0; IU = 0

FL = F(EPSL)

FU = F(EPSU)

C10 PRINT*, 'FL=', FL, 'FU=', FU

DO

EPSDOLD = EPSD

C20 PRINT*, 'EPSL=', EPSL, 'EPSU=', EPSU

FR = F(EPSD)

ITER = ITER + 1

TEST = FL * FR

IF (TEST.LT.0) THEN

EPSU = EPSD

FU = F(EPSU)

IU = 0

IL = IL + 1

IF (IL.GE.2) FL = FL / 2

ELSE

IF (TEST.GT.0) THEN

EPSL = EPSD

FL = F(EPSL)

IL = 0

IU = IU + 1

IF (IU.GE.2) FU = FU / 2

ELSE

ERA = 0

END IF

END IF

END DO

AMFP1 = EPSD

PRINT*, 'X=', AMFP1

RETURN

END

What are the expected and bad results? I tried various combinations but did not see a problem. Please also tell me what compile options you use (if you're using Visual Studio, right click on the project, select Properties > Fortran > Command line and copy all of the All options text.)

What are the expected and bad results? I tried various combinations but did not see a problem. Please also tell me what compile options you use (if you're using Visual Studio, right click on the project, select Properties > Fortran > Command line and copy all of the All options text.)

Thank you for your help. By inputting 0.001, 100, 1 and 10 respectively , the correct answer must be X= 5 but when lines 10 and 20 are omitted, the answer is 3.181818.

I could not find the compile options yet and sadly I have to leave my office now.

Ill come back to find the compile options as soon as possible.

I can reproduce it now. I'll let you know what I find.

Quoting - h.amini

Thank you for your help. By inputting 0.001, 100, 1 and 10 respectively , the correct answer must be X= 5 but when lines 10 and 20 are omitted, the answer is 3.181818.

I could not find the compile options yet and sadly I have to leave my office know.

Ill come back to find the compile options as soon as possible.

Just a thought,

I've seen something similar before. Depending upon what compiler flags you have set, the optimizer may be playing some tricks with your code to keep your computations in a double length register for subsequent computations. The print statements clears the registers and forces the subsequent computations to be performed using stored values, hence losing the extra precision and changing results due to differing round-off errors.

I ran the code and didn't reproduce the results you cited (I didn't play with any of the compilation flags though). It worked fine both ways for me. The only thing that struck me was the use of implicit typing which means that your floating point numbers are defaulting to single precision which can make a big difference, particularly in algorithms like your Regula Falsi where your subtracting numbers that are getting close to one another as your interval converges (catastrophic cancellation) and then dividing by the result which tends to amplify errors. I'd start with declaring your variables and making sure that your floating point numbers are double precision.

Cheers

I can reproduce it now. I'll let you know what I find.

Hello again

Please note that the program was written with Visual Studio, but to compile it I used Visual Fortran Compiler applying ifort command. It means the only files I haveare mfp02.f, mfp02.obj and mfp02.exeand by right clicking cannot obtain the compile options. But, from Visual Studio (Project/Properties /Fortran/Command line) I could find the options:

/nologo /debug:full /Od /gen-interfaces /warn:interfaces /module:"Debug" /object:"Debug" /traceback /check:bounds /libs:static /threads /dbglibs /c

Regarding ender01's advice, I tried to define all the numbers as double procession with the following command:

implicit double precision (a-z)

However, the result was: X= NaN.

I would very much appreciate your consideration.

When I program it using Compaq Visual Fortran, I get 'X = 5.000000'whether Imake all the floating point
stuffsingle precision or whether I make it all double precision.

Quoting - anthonyrichards

When I program it using Compaq Visual Fortran, I get 'X = 5.000000'whether Imake all the floating point
stuffsingle precision or whether I make it all double precision.

Thank you for checking. I got correct result when I useed another compiler, but the problem is with Visual Fortran Compiler 10.1.025 . I have also checked version 11.0.061 getting wrong answers after omitting lines 10 and 20.

Quoting - h.amini

Thank you for checking. I got correct result when I useed another compiler, but the problem is with Visual Fortran Compiler 10.1.025 . I have also checked version 11.0.061 getting wrong answers after omitting lines 10 and 20.

I wouldn't make everything double precision, just the floating point numbers. If you convert everything, including integers, you replace any integer math with real math, which, depending upon the equations, can be quite different (1./2 = 0.5 but 1/2 = 0). Also, implicit typing is a bad idea in general, pick the wrong variable names and you're doing integer math when you weren't planning on it (omega = sqrt(k/mass), for instance, will cause this with implicit typing. I would really start by making sure that all of your variables are appropriately typed, not just setting everything to double precision.

Cheers,

Rich

Quoting - ender01

I wouldn't make everything double precision, just the floating point numbers. If you convert everything, including integers, you replace any integer math with real math, which, depending upon the equations, can be quite different (1./2 = 0.5 but 1/2 = 0). Also, implicit typing is a bad idea in general, pick the wrong variable names and you're doing integer math when you weren't planning on it (omega = sqrt(k/mass), for instance, will cause this with implicit typing. I would really start by making sure that all of your variables are appropriately typed, not just setting everything to double precision.

Cheers,

Rich

Dear Rich

Much appreciated your help.

I have just double checked the floating point numbers and everything seems to be correct. But there is still the same problem (X= NaN) even if only the floating point numers are made double precision.

Could you compile the following program and check it by inputting 0.001, 100, 1 and 10 respectively to get the correct answer X= 5.

Many thanks

Hamid

FUNCTION F(X)

F = X**2-25

RETURN

END

ITER = 0; IL = 0; IU = 0

FL = F(EPSL)

FU = F(EPSU)

DO

EPSDOLD = EPSD

FR = F(EPSD)

ITER = ITER + 1

PRINT*, 'ERA=', ERA

TEST = FL * FR

IF (TEST.LT.0) THEN

EPSU = EPSD

FU = F(EPSU)

IU = 0

IL = IL + 1

IF (IL.GE.2) FL = FL / 2

ELSE IF (TEST.GT.0) THEN

EPSL = EPSD

FL = F(EPSL)

IL = 0

IU = IU + 1

IF (IU.GE.2) FU = FU / 2

ELSE

ERA = 0

END IF

print*, 'ERA=', ERA

END DO

AMFP1 = EPSD

PRINT*, 'X=', AMFP1

RETURN

END

DOUBLE PRECISION EPSDPER, EPSDMAX, EPSL, EPSU, EPSD, EPSDOLD

DOUBLE PRECISION X, ERS, ERA, FL, FR, FU, AMFP1

! implicit double precision (a-z)

GO TO 1

END

Quoting - h.amini

Hi there

I think I found a bug in Fortran Visual Compiler 10.1.025. It is about a subroutine used to solve nonlinear equations with MFP approach (see below). The brief code is to apply equation Y = X^2 - 25 just for checking purpose.

The problem is that when I add two printing commands on lines 10 and 20, the code works perfectly, but when I omit them it does not! In fact, it can be checked by inputting 0.001, 100, 1 and 10 respectively to get X= 5.

Could someone let me know if it is a bug or I made a mistake? I compiled the subroutine with another compiler and it worked even after omitting the two printing commands.

Many thanks

Hamid

GO TO 1

END

FUNCTION F(X)

F = X**2-25

RETURN

END

ITER = 0

FL = F(EPSL)

FU = F(EPSU)

DO

EPSDOLD = EPSD

FR = F(EPSD)

ITER = ITER + 1

C print*, 'iter=', iter

C100 PRINT*, 'EPSD=', EPSD

PRINT*, 'ERA=', ERA

TEST = FL * FR

IF (TEST.LT.0) THEN

EPSU = EPSD

FU = F(EPSU)

IU = 0

IL = IL + 1

IF (IL.GE.2) FL = FL / 2

ELSE IF (TEST.GT.0) THEN

EPSL = EPSD

FL = F(EPSL)

IL = 0

IU = IU + 1

IF (IU.GE.2) FU = FU / 2

ELSE

ERA = 0

END IF

print*, 'ERA=', ERA

END DO

AMFP1 = EPSD

PRINT*, 'X=', AMFP1

RETURN

END

Hamid

On call to MFP the argument EPSD is uninitialized and used withing MFPD.

Do you expect uninitialized variables to be 0?

Although some compilers initialize uninitialized variables to 0 there is no Fortran requirement to do so.

Try setting EPSD = 0.0 or whatever you wish for initialization.

Jim Dempsey

www.quickthreadprogramming.com

Quoting - h.amini

Dear Rich

I have just double checked the floating point numbers and everything seems to be correct. But there is still the same problem (X= NaN) even if only the floating point numers are made double precision.

Could you compile the following program and check it by inputting 0.001, 100, 1 and 10 respectively to get the correct answer X= 5.

Many thanks

Hamid

FUNCTION F(X)

F = X**2-25

RETURN

END

ITER = 0; IL = 0; IU = 0

FL = F(EPSL)

FU = F(EPSU)

DO

EPSDOLD = EPSD

FR = F(EPSD)

ITER = ITER + 1

PRINT*, 'ERA=', ERA

TEST = FL * FR

IF (TEST.LT.0) THEN

EPSU = EPSD

FU = F(EPSU)

IU = 0

IL = IL + 1

IF (IL.GE.2) FL = FL / 2

ELSE IF (TEST.GT.0) THEN

EPSL = EPSD

FL = F(EPSL)

IL = 0

IU = IU + 1

IF (IU.GE.2) FU = FU / 2

ELSE

ERA = 0

END IF

print*, 'ERA=', ERA

END DO

AMFP1 = EPSD

PRINT*, 'X=', AMFP1

RETURN

END

GO TO 1

END

Hi Hamid,

It won't compile as written, I get type mismatch errors on the call to MFP (error #6633: The type of the actual argument differs from the type of the dummy argument. [EPSU], [EPSD], [ERS], and [ERA]). Did it compile this way for you? If I add in:

DOUBLE PRECISION EPSU, EPSD, ERS, ERA

to the MFP subroutine and

DOUBLE PRECISION X

to the function F(X), then I start getting type mismatch errors on calls such as FL = F(EPSL). When I remove all of the type declaration, I get the correct answer of 5.000000. Also note, where you explicitly typed the variable is outside of the scope of the subroutine and function, all of those local variables are still implicitly typed.

What you have to remember is that modern optimizing compilers are pretty clever at fixing some programming errors. If you are using an older compiler, it may just be that your compiler isn't catching it and the newer ones are, hence other compilers aren't seeing the problem.

BTW, this code looks pretty old, where did you get it? You might be better off rewriting it in more modern Fortran. I'll bang on it for a little while and see if I can get you something that will work.

Cheers,

Rich

Quoting - h.amini

Dear Rich

Many thanks

Hamid

FUNCTION F(X)

F = X**2-25

RETURN

END

ITER = 0; IL = 0; IU = 0

FL = F(EPSL)

FU = F(EPSU)

DO

EPSDOLD = EPSD

FR = F(EPSD)

ITER = ITER + 1

PRINT*, 'ERA=', ERA

TEST = FL * FR

IF (TEST.LT.0) THEN

EPSU = EPSD

FU = F(EPSU)

IU = 0

IL = IL + 1

IF (IL.GE.2) FL = FL / 2

ELSE IF (TEST.GT.0) THEN

EPSL = EPSD

FL = F(EPSL)

IL = 0

IU = IU + 1

IF (IU.GE.2) FU = FU / 2

ELSE

ERA = 0

END IF

print*, 'ERA=', ERA

END DO

AMFP1 = EPSD

PRINT*, 'X=', AMFP1

RETURN

END

GO TO 1

END

Hi Rich

I made mistakes in making double precisions that is the reason for the NoN result. Sorry about that. But in the corrected program (see below) has the first problem. X=3.18... instead of X=5.

I will check the uninitialized variables as Jim said. But I am almost sure the compiler I am using, makes them zero. I will check it tomorrow and tell you the results.

Many thanks

Hamid

DOUBLE PRECISION ERS,ERA,EPSDPER,EPSDMAX,EPSL,EPSU,EPSD,EPSDOLD

DOUBLE PRECISION F,X,FL,FU,FR,TEST,AMFP1

GO TO 1

END

DOUBLE PRECISION FUNCTION F(X)

DOUBLE PRECISION X

F = X**2-25

RETURN

END

SUBROUTINE MFP(EPSL,EPSU,EPSD,ERS,ERA,ITER,IMAX)

DOUBLE PRECISION EPSL,EPSU,EPSD,ERS,ERA,FL,FU,FR,EPSDOLD

DOUBLE PRECISION TEST,AMFP1

ITER = 0; IL = 0; IU = 0

FL = F(EPSL)

FU = F(EPSU)

!10 PRINT*, 'FL=', FL, 'FU=', FU

DO

EPSDOLD = EPSD

!20 PRINT*, 'EPSL=', EPSL, 'EPSU=', EPSU

FR = F(EPSD)

ITER = ITER + 1

PRINT*, 'ERA=', ERA

TEST = FL * FR

IF (TEST.LT.0) THEN

EPSU = EPSD

FU = F(EPSU)

IU = 0

IL = IL + 1

IF (IL.GE.2) FL = FL / 2

ELSE IF (TEST.GT.0) THEN

EPSL = EPSD

FL = F(EPSL)

IL = 0

IU = IU + 1

IF (IU.GE.2) FU = FU / 2

ELSE

ERA = 0

END IF

print*, 'ERA=', ERA

END DO

AMFP1 = EPSD

PRINT*, 'X=', AMFP1

RETURN

END

Quoting - ender01

Hi Hamid,

It won't compile as written, I get type mismatch errors on the call to MFP (error #6633: The type of the actual argument differs from the type of the dummy argument. [EPSU], [EPSD], [ERS], and [ERA]). Did it compile this way for you? If I add in:

DOUBLE PRECISION EPSU, EPSD, ERS, ERA

to the MFP subroutine and

DOUBLE PRECISION X

to the function F(X), then I start getting type mismatch errors on calls such as FL = F(EPSL). When I remove all of the type declaration, I get the correct answer of 5.000000. Also note, where you explicitly typed the variable is outside of the scope of the subroutine and function, all of those local variables are still implicitly typed.

What you have to remember is that modern optimizing compilers are pretty clever at fixing some programming errors. If you are using an older compiler, it may just be that your compiler isn't catching it and the newer ones are, hence other compilers aren't seeing the problem.

BTW, this code looks pretty old, where did you get it? You might be better off rewriting it in more modern Fortran. I'll bang on it for a little while and see if I can get you something that will work.

Cheers,

Rich

Hi Hamid,

Here's a reworking of the code:

!  HamidCode.f90 
!
!  FUNCTIONS:
!  HamidCode - Entry point of console application.
!

!****************************************************************************
!
!  PROGRAM: HamidCode
!
!  PURPOSE:  Entry point for the console application.
!
!****************************************************************************

program HamidCode

implicit none

! Variables
    !  Precision constants
    integer, parameter:: HI=selected_real_kind(12)
    integer, parameter:: LO=selected_real_kind(5)
    integer, parameter:: I_HI=selected_int_kind(9)
    integer, parameter:: I_LO=selected_int_kind(4)

integer(kind = I_LO) :: ans

real(kind=HI) :: EPSDPER, EPSDMAX, EPSL, EPSU, EPSD, ERS, ERA
    integer(kind=I_LO) :: IMAX, ITER

!  Read in data
    do 
       write(*,*) "Please enter the convergence tolerance, maximum number of &
                  &iterations, and the lower and upper bounds of the initial &
                  &interval, respectively"
       read(*,*) ERS, IMAX, EPSDPER, EPSDMAX

write(*,*) "Again?  Enter 0 to continue"
       read(*,*) ans
       if (ans /= 0) exit
    end do

contains

function F(X)
         implicit none
         real(kind=HI), intent(in) :: X
         real(kind=HI) :: F

F = X**2-25._HI
         return
      end function F

subroutine MFP(EPSL, EPSU, EPSD, ERS, ERA, ITER, IMAX)
         implicit none
         real(kind=HI), intent(inout):: EPSL, EPSU  
         real(kind=HI), intent(out) :: EPSD, ERS, ERA
         integer(kind=I_LO), intent(in) :: IMAX
         integer(kind=I_LO), intent(out) :: ITER

integer(kind=I_LO) :: IL, IU
         real(kind=HI) :: FL, FU, FR, TEST
         real(kind=HI) :: EPSDOLD, AMFP1

!  Initialize iteration variables
         ITER = 0       !  Iteration count 
         IL = 0         !  Interval (bracket) lower bound
         IU = 0         !  Interval (bracket) upper bound

!  Evaluate F(X) at bracket bounds 
         FL = F(EPSL)   !  F(X_lower)
         FU = F(EPSU)   !  F(X_upper)

!  Echo function evaluation on interval bounds
10       write(*,*) 'FL=', FL, 'FU=', FU

!  Iterate using Regula Falsi
         do
            !  Store old value of zero crossing
            !  NOTE: This variable is not initialized on call to MFP
            EPSDOLD = EPSD

!  Compute updated estimate of zero crossing

!  Echo current bounds of interval
20          write(*,*) 'EPSL=', EPSL, 'EPSU=', EPSU

!  Evaluate function at updated zero crossing estimate
            FR = F(EPSD)

!  Increment interation counter
            ITER = ITER + 1

!  Check for convergence
            !  Compute relative change in zero crossing estimate
            if(EPSD.NE.0) then
               !  Avoid divide by zero
               !  NOTE: EPSDOLD not initialized on first pass 
               !        Shouldn't matter in general but there are
               !        pathological cases
               ERA = ABS((EPSD - EPSDOLD) / EPSD) * 100
            end if

!  Echo relative change in zero estimate
            write(*,*) 'ERA=', ERA

!  Use sign test to determine which end of interval to
            !  discard (want to bracket zero crossing, need one bound  
            !  to evaluate to a positive number and the other bound
            !  to a negative number => if the function has a zero
            !  can usually expect a sign change).
            TEST = FL * FR
            if (TEST.LT.0) then
               !  If product is negative, new value has oposite sign
               !  of lower bound, update upper bound 
               EPSU = EPSD

!  Re-evaluate function at new upper bound
               !  NOTE:  This is superfluous, FR still holds this value
               FU = F(EPSU)

!  Oh, we have a modified Regula-Falsi of sorts...
               IU = 0          !  Upper bound replaced, zero persistence counter
               IL = IL + 1     !  Lower bound persisting, increment counter

!  Most implementations do this every step rather than
               !  every other.  I think that this is intended to stabilize
               !  the method but as long as you are bracketing a zero
               !  crossing (continuous or not) the method is stable (unlike
               !  Newton-Raphson methods where its usually a good idea to
               !  stabilize if you don't know the function)

!  If lower bound is persisting, skew next estimate closer to 
               !  lower bound by using half the function evaluation at the 
               !  lower bound to compute next estimate
               if (IL.GE.2) FL = FL / 2

else if (TEST.GT.0) then
               !  If product is positive, new value has same sign as lower
               !  lower bound, update lower bound 
               EPSL = EPSD

!  Re-evaluate function at new lower bound
               !  NOTE:  This is superfluous, FR still holds this value
               FL = F(EPSL)

!  Oh, we have a modified Regula-Falsi of sorts...
               IL = 0          !  Lower bound replaced, zero persistence counter
               IU = IU + 1     !  Upper bound persisting, increment counter

!  If upper bound is persisting, skew next estimate closer to 
               !  upper bound by using half the function evaluation at the 
               !  upper bound to compute next estimate
               if (IU.GE.2) FU = FU / 2

else
               !  We appear to have landed right on the zero!
               ERA = 0._HI   !  Percent change should be zero from here on out!

end if

!  Echo change in zero crossing estimate
            print*, 'ERA=', ERA

!  Check convergence
            !  NOTE:  In this method you should also check the size of the bracket
            !         (very steep functions will cause excessive iterations) as
            !         well as magnitude of the functions that are flat over part
            !         of the bracketed domain can cause convergence issues) 
            if (ERA.LT.ERS .OR. ITER.GT.IMAX) exit

end do

!  Store final estimate of zero crossing
        AMFP1 = EPSD

!  Echo final estimate of zero crossing
        write(*,*) 'X=', AMFP1

RETURN

end subroutine MFP

end program HamidCode

I've annotated it as well. There is, in addition, one variable which is used in a computation that is not initialized. Not all compilers handle uninitialized variables in the same way. I've called it out in the annotation. Let me know if that works. Also, you can see the correct typing for your variables should you want to go back and type them in the original code. This one works, with or without the print statements. If you still can't get it to work, send a step by step report of the values you have for each step of the code for an iteration or two and I'll match it up with my version and see if we can't narrow down where the misbehavior occurs.

Cheers,

Rich

I ran the original code using the Compaq Visual Fortran compiler, with all floating point variables made REAL*4
(including the function F and its argument). I note with everyone else that EPSD is uninitialised when used in routine MFP. This should be avoided. I uncommented the PRINT statements and got the following output (running both DEBUG and RELEASE configurations):
FL= -24.00000 FU= 75.00000
EPSL= 1.000000 EPSU= 10.00000
EPSL= 3.181818 EPSU= 10.00000
EPSL= 4.310345 EPSU= 10.00000
EPSL= 4.310345 EPSU= 5.142132
EPSL= 4.989630 EPSU= 5.142132
EPSL= 4.999855 EPSU= 5.142132
EPSL= 4.999855 EPSU= 5.000141
X= 5.000000
Press any key to continue

So I can see where you are getting your answer 3.181818 from - the loop is exiting at the start of the second pass.
I believe that is where you should expend your debugging effort. It should be pretty straightforward.

Quoting - ender01

Hi Hamid,

Here's a reworking of the code:

! HamidCode.f90 ! ! FUNCTIONS: ! HamidCode - Entry point of console application. ! !**************************************************************************** ! ! PROGRAM: HamidCode ! ! PURPOSE: Entry point for the console application. ! !**************************************************************************** program HamidCode implicit none ! Variables ! Precision constants integer, parameter:: HI=selected_real_kind(12) integer, parameter:: LO=selected_real_kind(5) integer, parameter:: I_HI=selected_int_kind(9) integer, parameter:: I_LO=selected_int_kind(4) integer(kind = I_LO) :: ans real(kind=HI) :: EPSDPER, EPSDMAX, EPSL, EPSU, EPSD, ERS, ERA integer(kind=I_LO) :: IMAX, ITER ! Read in data do write(*,*) "Please enter the convergence tolerance, maximum number of & &iterations, and the lower and upper bounds of the initial & &interval, respectively" read(*,*) ERS, IMAX, EPSDPER, EPSDMAX EPSL = EPSDPER; EPSU = EPSDMAX CALL MFP(EPSL, EPSU, EPSD, ERS, ERA, ITER, IMAX) write(*,*) "Again? Enter 0 to continue" read(*,*) ans if (ans /= 0) exit end do contains function F(X) implicit none real(kind=HI), intent(in) :: X real(kind=HI) :: F F = X**2-25._HI return end function F subroutine MFP(EPSL, EPSU, EPSD, ERS, ERA, ITER, IMAX) implicit none real(kind=HI), intent(inout):: EPSL, EPSU real(kind=HI), intent(out) :: EPSD, ERS, ERA integer(kind=I_LO), intent(in) :: IMAX integer(kind=I_LO), intent(out) :: ITER integer(kind=I_LO) :: IL, IU real(kind=HI) :: FL, FU, FR, TEST real(kind=HI) :: EPSDOLD, AMFP1 ! Initialize iteration variables ITER = 0 ! Iteration count IL = 0 ! Interval (bracket) lower bound IU = 0 ! Interval (bracket) upper bound ! Evaluate F(X) at bracket bounds FL = F(EPSL) ! F(X_lower) FU = F(EPSU) ! F(X_upper) ! Echo function evaluation on interval bounds 10 write(*,*) 'FL=', FL, 'FU=', FU ! Iterate using Regula Falsi do ! Store old value of zero crossing ! NOTE: This variable is not initialized on call to MFP EPSDOLD = EPSD ! Compute updated estimate of zero crossing EPSD = EPSU - FU * (EPSL - EPSU) / (FL - FU) ! Echo current bounds of interval 20 write(*,*) 'EPSL=', EPSL, 'EPSU=', EPSU ! Evaluate function at updated zero crossing estimate FR = F(EPSD) ! Increment interation counter ITER = ITER + 1 ! Check for convergence ! Compute relative change in zero crossing estimate if(EPSD.NE.0) then ! Avoid divide by zero ! NOTE: EPSDOLD not initialized on first pass ! Shouldn't matter in general but there are ! pathological cases ERA = ABS((EPSD - EPSDOLD) / EPSD) * 100 end if ! Echo relative change in zero estimate write(*,*) 'ERA=', ERA ! Use sign test to determine which end of interval to ! discard (want to bracket zero crossing, need one bound ! to evaluate to a positive number and the other bound ! to a negative number => if the function has a zero ! can usually expect a sign change). TEST = FL * FR if (TEST.LT.0) then ! If product is negative, new value has oposite sign ! of lower bound, update upper bound EPSU = EPSD ! Re-evaluate function at new upper bound ! NOTE: This is superfluous, FR still holds this value FU = F(EPSU) ! Oh, we have a modified Regula-Falsi of sorts... IU = 0 ! Upper bound replaced, zero persistence counter IL = IL + 1 ! Lower bound persisting, increment counter ! Most implementations do this every step rather than ! every other. I think that this is intended to stabilize ! the method but as long as you are bracketing a zero ! crossing (continuous or not) the method is stable (unlike ! Newton-Raphson methods where its usually a good idea to ! stabilize if you don't know the function) ! If lower bound is persisting, skew next estimate closer to ! lower bound by using half the function evaluation at the ! lower bound to compute next estimate if (IL.GE.2) FL = FL / 2 else if (TEST.GT.0) then ! If product is positive, new value has same sign as lower ! lower bound, update lower bound EPSL = EPSD ! Re-evaluate function at new lower bound ! NOTE: This is superfluous, FR still holds this value FL = F(EPSL) ! Oh, we have a modified Regula-Falsi of sorts... IL = 0 ! Lower bound replaced, zero persistence counter IU = IU + 1 ! Upper bound persisting, increment counter ! If upper bound is persisting, skew next estimate closer to ! upper bound by using half the function evaluation at the ! upper bound to compute next estimate if (IU.GE.2) FU = FU / 2 else ! We appear to have landed right on the zero! ERA = 0._HI ! Percent change should be zero from here on out! end if ! Echo change in zero crossing estimate print*, 'ERA=', ERA ! Check convergence ! NOTE: In this method you should also check the size of the bracket ! (very steep functions will cause excessive iterations) as ! well as magnitude of the functions that are flat over part ! of the bracketed domain can cause convergence issues) if (ERA.LT.ERS .OR. ITER.GT.IMAX) exit end do ! Store final estimate of zero crossing AMFP1 = EPSD ! Echo final estimate of zero crossing write(*,*) 'X=', AMFP1 RETURN end subroutine MFP end program HamidCode

I've annotated it as well. There is, in addition, one variable which is used in a computation that is not initialized. Not all compilers handle uninitialized variables in the same way. I've called it out in the annotation. Let me know if that works. Also, you can see the correct typing for your variables should you want to go back and type them in the original code. This one works, with or without the print statements. If you still can't get it to work, send a step by step report of the values you have for each step of the code for an iteration or two and I'll match it up with my version and see if we can't narrow down where the misbehavior occurs.

Cheers,

Rich

Hi Rich

Appreciated very much for your kind consideration of the problem.

The posted program gives the same wrong answer (X= 3.181818) after commenting the printing statements. However, as you annotated EPSDOLD is not initialized (Jim also mentioned the same about EPSD - thank you Jim). So, when I initialize EPSD or EPSDOLD to zero, the program works perfectly even if the floating point numbers are not double precision.

Interestingly, when I do not initialize them to zero and print them, they are zero! But sometimes the program does not work correctly depending on the printing statements. For example, in the following code, when lines 31, 32 and 33 are stated, the result is right:

epsd 0.0000000E+00

epsd 0.0000000E+00

epsd 0.0000000E+00

epsd 3.181818

epsd 4.310345

epsd 5.142132

epsd 4.989630

epsd 4.999855

epsd 5.000141

X= 5.000000

but, when just one of the printing lines is commented, the result is wrong:

epsd 0.0000000E+00

epsd 0.0000000E+00

X= 3.181818

If you could forward it to the developers, it may be interesting for them. The compiler I am using is: Intel Visual Fortran Compiler Professional for applications running on IA-32, Version 11.0 Build 20080930 Package ID: w_cprof_p_11.0.061.

FUNCTION F(X)

F = X**2-25

RETURN

END

ITER = 0; IL = 0; IU = 0; !EPSD = 0

31 print*, 'epsd',epsd

FL = F(EPSL)

FU = F(EPSU)

32 print*, 'epsd',epsd

DO

33 print*, 'epsd',epsd

EPSDOLD = EPSD

FR = F(EPSD)

ITER = ITER + 1

TEST = FL * FR

IF (TEST.LT.0) THEN

EPSU = EPSD

FU = F(EPSU)

IU = 0

IL = IL + 1

IF (IL.GE.2) FL = FL / 2

ELSE IF (TEST.GT.0) THEN

EPSL = EPSD

FL = F(EPSL)

IL = 0

IU = IU + 1

IF (IU.GE.2) FU = FU / 2

ELSE

ERA = 0

END IF

END DO

AMFP1 = EPSD

PRINT*, 'X=', AMFP1

RETURN

END

GO TO 1

END

Many thanks

Hamid

Best Reply

Quoting - h.amini

Hi Rich

Appreciated very much for your kind consideration of the problem.

The posted program gives the same wrong answer (X= 3.181818) after commenting the printing statements. However, as you annotated EPSDOLD is not initialized (Jim also mentioned the same about EPSD - thank you Jim). So, when I initialize EPSD or EPSDOLD to zero, the program works perfectly even if the floating point numbers are not double precision.

Interestingly, when I do not initialize them to zero and print them, they are zero! But sometimes the program does not work correctly depending on the printing statements. For example, in the following code, when lines 31, 32 and 33 are stated, the result is right:

epsd 0.0000000E+00

epsd 0.0000000E+00

epsd 0.0000000E+00

epsd 3.181818

epsd 4.310345

epsd 5.142132

epsd 4.989630

epsd 4.999855

epsd 5.000141

X= 5.000000

but, when just one of the printing lines is commented, the result is wrong:

epsd 0.0000000E+00

epsd 0.0000000E+00

X= 3.181818

If you could forward it to the developers, it may be interesting for them. The compiler I am using is: Intel Visual Fortran Compiler Professional for applications running on IA-32, Version 11.0 Build 20080930 Package ID: w_cprof_p_11.0.061.

FUNCTION F(X)

F = X**2-25

RETURN

END

ITER = 0; IL = 0; IU = 0; !EPSD = 0

31 print*, 'epsd',epsd

FL = F(EPSL)

FU = F(EPSU)

32 print*, 'epsd',epsd

DO

33 print*, 'epsd',epsd

EPSDOLD = EPSD

FR = F(EPSD)

ITER = ITER + 1

TEST = FL * FR

IF (TEST.LT.0) THEN

EPSU = EPSD

FU = F(EPSU)

IU = 0

IL = IL + 1

IF (IL.GE.2) FL = FL / 2

ELSE IF (TEST.GT.0) THEN

EPSL = EPSD

FL = F(EPSL)

IL = 0

IU = IU + 1

IF (IU.GE.2) FU = FU / 2

ELSE

ERA = 0

END IF

END DO

AMFP1 = EPSD

PRINT*, 'X=', AMFP1

RETURN

END

GO TO 1

END

Many thanks

Hamid

Hi Hamid,

It looks like EPSD is not being updated as it's supposed to be (2 lines after the line numbered 33). If it's staying at zero (the default value) this means that your convergence condition is not going to be properly evaluated:

IF(EPSD.NE.0) THEN

ERA = ABS((EPSD - EPSDOLD) / EPSD) * 100

END IF

ERA is not evaluated and so stays at its default (uninitialized value) of 0 (which is less than ERS). Which would kick you out after the first pass with the current value of EPSD. But we know that the first evaluation is 3.18181...

It looks like a compiler bug. Can you run the debugger and track EPSD? Does this happen when you run the debugger (different compiler options - less optimization)?

Rich

Quoting - ender01

Hi Hamid,

It looks like EPSD is not being updated as it's supposed to be (2 lines after the line numbered 33). If it's staying at zero (the default value) this means that your convergence condition is not going to be properly evaluated:

IF(EPSD.NE.0) THEN ERA = ABS((EPSD - EPSDOLD) / EPSD) * 100 END IF

ERA is not evaluated and so stays at its default (uninitialized value) of 0 (which is less than ERS). Which would kick you out after the first pass with the current value of EPSD. But we know that the first evaluation is 3.18181...

It looks like a compiler bug. Can you run the debugger and track EPSD? Does this happen when you run the debugger (different compiler options - less optimization)?

Rich

The comparison between EPSD and 0 ismixed mode - what happens if you use 0. or 0D0? does EPSD get updated in this case?

David

Quoting - David White

The comparison between EPSD and 0 ismixed mode - what happens if you use 0. or 0D0? does EPSD get updated in this case?

David

Hi David

Thank you for this. Using 0. Or 0D0 did not make any difference.

Hamid

Quoting - ender01

Hi Hamid,

IF(EPSD.NE.0) THEN ERA = ABS((EPSD - EPSDOLD) / EPSD) * 100 END IF

Rich

Many thanks Rich

You are right. It seems there is a bug in the compiling optimization. In fact, when I disable optimizations with /debug:full the problem is solved. Also, when optimization level o1 is applied the program works perfectly. However, applying optimization level o2 or o3 causes the problem.

Hamid

ERA is not evaluated and so stays at its default (uninitialized value) of 0 (which is less than ERS).

NO! NO! THOUSAND TIMES NO!

Please, get rid of the misconception that the "default, uninitialized value" is zero. It started this whole long thread and misunderstanding. It is NOT zero. It is a (semi-)RANDOM value. When it happens to be zero (or small enough), you get the "right" results, and otherwise you get the "wrong" results. But it's NOT, again, compiler's duty to make sure it is initialized to zero, unless you explicitly say so.

Sorry for yelling, but this is a very important concept to grasp, and you'll encounter many problems if you fail to adopt it.

Jugoslav
www.xeffort.com

Quoting - Jugoslav Dujic

NO! NO! THOUSAND TIMES NO!

Please, get rid of the misconception that the "default, uninitialized value" is zero. It started this whole long thread and misunderstanding. It is NOT zero. It is a (semi-)RANDOM value. When it happens to be zero (or small enough), you get the "right" results, and otherwise you get the "wrong" results. But it's NOT, again, compiler's duty to make sure it is initialized to zero, unless you explicitly say so.

Sorry for yelling, but this is a very important concept to grasp, and you'll encounter many problems if you fail to adopt it.

While there is no Fortran standard for this, most compilers do handle this with a default (most even document it). Yell all you want, but what's important to realize is not that there is not a "default, uninitialized zero" but that compilers handle the condition differently and if you want any portability, you'd best not ignore it. If you'll read the posts above, you'll find that Hamid noted that his compiler was initializing the variable to zero. I can assure you that that was not an accident but was the result of an optimizing compiler setting a default value to an uninitialized variable.

Quoting - ender01

I can assure you that that was not an accident but was the result of an optimizing compiler setting a default value to an uninitialized variable.

No. "Optimizing compiler" does not apply any defaults to uninitialized variables -- it is an accident. In my experience, the values are often reproducible (i.e. not entirely random -- that's why I referred to it as "semi-random" above), but generally different depending on optimization level and, worse still, depend whether it is run under debugger or not. You cannot -- and shouldn't -- make any assumption about those values.

The worst kind of bugs ("heisenbugs") appear only when run outside the debugger, or even only on customer's computer, and are commonly assigned to uninitialized variables.

Quoting - jugoslavdujic2

No. "Optimizing compiler" does not apply any defaults to uninitialized variables -- it is an accident. In my experience, the values are often reproducible (i.e. not entirely random -- that's why I referred to it as "semi-random" above), but generally different depending on optimization level and, worse still, depend whether it is run under debugger or not. You cannot -- and shouldn't -- make any assumption about those values.

The worst kind of bugs ("heisenbugs") appear only when run outside the debugger, or even only on customer's computer, and are commonly assigned to uninitialized variables.

Again, different compilers do different things. Pounding your fist on the table saying it ain't so won't change that. I've worked with a lot of different Fortran compilers (of widely differing quality) on a lot of different systems (of widely differing quaiity) and I have seen compiler switch options that enable and disable the option to control a default assignment to an unitialized variable. It was even occasionally made explicit in the documentation that this was a non-standard Fortran setting. That being said, yes, some compilers don't provide any such reproducible default.

In any case, default or not, I would never suggest that it's acceptable practice to rely upon a default nor did I in any of my posts. In fact my advice was quite the opposite, start looking at the variables and how they're defined. I think that we're in violent agreement on that point. The fact that Hamid explicitly commented on the "repeatable" initialization of the variable to zero was the basis of my comment (and I'll bet it was right too).

In closing, don't come "yelling" like this about anything. Frankly, not knowing anything about you, I don't particularly have any reason to trust your "experience" and you sure haven't given me any.

Quoting - ender01

Again, different compilers do different things. Pounding your fist on the table saying it ain't so won't change that. I've worked with a lot of different Fortran compilers (of widely differing quality) on a lot of different systems (of widely differing quaiity) and I have seen compiler switch options that enable and disable the option to control a default assignment to an unitialized variable. It was even occasionally made explicit in the documentation that this was a non-standard Fortran setting. That being said, yes, some compilers don't provide any such reproducible default.

In any case, default or not, I would never suggest that it's acceptable practice to rely upon a default nor did I in any of my posts. In fact my advice was quite the opposite, start looking at the variables and how they're defined. I think that we're in violent agreement on that point. The fact that Hamid explicitly commented on the "repeatable" initialization of the variable to zero was the basis of my comment (and I'll bet it was right too).

In closing, don't come "yelling" like this about anything. Frankly, not knowing anything about you, I don't particularly have any reason to trust your "experience" and you sure haven't given me any.

Well, we probably are in "violent agreement" as you said; let's bury the hachets.

I am aware I was harsh in my first post, but it was my knee-jerk reaction to sentence which read, quote again, "ERA is not evaluated and so stays at its default (uninitialized value) of 0". Maybe I'm guilty of jumping to conclusion of what you actually meant, but my reading was (and I think that you can see how it can easily be misread) that this means that ERA is automagically initialized to 0.

Yes, many compilers through the history did initialize to zero, and most still have an option to do so (/Qsave /Qzero for ifort). Many (l)users even relied on it. But it has never been part of the Standard, and there are certainly many bugs lurking around waiting to rear its ugly head in many "trusted" codes.

Jugoslav
www.xeffort.com

Quoting - Jugoslav Dujic

Well, we probably are in "violent agreement" as you said; let's bury the hachets.

I am aware I was harsh in my first post, but it was my knee-jerk reaction to sentence which read, quote again, "ERA is not evaluated and so stays at its default (uninitialized value) of 0". Maybe I'm guilty of jumping to conclusion of what you actually meant, but my reading was (and I think that you can see how it can easily be misread) that this means that ERA is automagically initialized to 0.

Yes, many compilers through the history did initialize to zero, and most still have an option to do so (/Qsave /Qzero for ifort). Many (l)users even relied on it. But it has never been part of the Standard, and there are certainly many bugs lurking around waiting to rear its ugly head in many "trusted" codes.

Great, thank you. No harm, no foul. I can see your point, but I think the context here is important. I was trying to be more pendagogical and lead Hamid to paying more attention to how variable are defined and used, and, ultimately to understanding what the ramifications are. It is a lot less important to know what value was assigned than to understand what can happen if you don't define variables properly. The specific mechanism through which a value is assigned is beside the point. Perhaps I should have been more precise but I felt it would be more productive to illustrate the the fact that you can't rely on a consistent automatic assignment (you'll note that I pointed out that my program did not initialize thet variable to zero) than to discuss the details of compiler design. I'll also note that I know of no commercial Fortran compiler (I'm not claiming an exhaustive study here) that does not specifically address undefined variables as part of its design. Though it may not be discussed in the documentation provided (and may explicitly warn against using an uninitialized variable in a computatoin), I've never seen an uninitialized variable merely given the contents of the address referenced by the variable (and if you've ever had an array subscript go out of bounds, you know what those numbers can look like). And you're absolutely right about the "trusted code" though I'd add that that set of code includes operating systems, IDEs, and even compilers.

Quoting - Jugoslav Dujic

Great, thank you. No harm, no foul. I can see your point, but I think the context here is important. I was trying to be more pendagogical and lead Hamid to paying more attention to how variable are defined and used, and, ultimately to understanding what the ramifications are. It is a lot less important to know what value was assigned than to understand what can happen if you don't define variables properly. The specific mechanism through which a value is assigned is beside the point. Perhaps I should have been more precise but I felt it would be more productive to illustrate the the fact that you can't rely on a consistent automatic assignment (you'll note that I pointed out that my program did not initialize thet variable to zero) than to discuss the details of compiler design. I'll also note that I know of no commercial Fortran compiler (I'm not claiming an exhaustive study here) that does not specifically address undefined variables as part of its design. Though it may not be discussed in the documentation provided (and may explicitly warn against using an uninitialized variable in a computatoin), I've never seen an uninitialized variable merely given the contents of the address referenced by the variable (and if you've ever had an array subscript go out of bounds, you know what those numbers can look like). And you're absolutely right about the "trusted code" though I'd add that that set of code includes operating systems, IDEs, and even compilers.

Quoting - ender01

Leave a Comment

Please sign in to add a comment. Not a member? Join today