I have noticed since i first migrated to the intel compiler several years ago (from the compaq compiler) that my results seem slightly unstable.
I am noticing some strange behavior in composer 2013 however. Here is what i'm running:
Microsoft Visual Studio 2008
Version 9.0.30729.1 SP
Microsoft .NET Framework
Version 3.5 SP1
Intel(R) Visual Fortran Package ID: w_fcompxe_2013.0.089
Intel(R) Visual Fortran Composer XE 2013 Integration for Microsoft Visual Studio* 2008, 13.0.3588.2008, Copyright (C) 2002-2012 Intel Corporation
* Other names and brands may be claimed as the property of others.
Right now my program runs fine in debug mode but when i try to run it in release mode (with full optimization) i am getting some strange crashes.
They are all "forrtl: severe (157): Program Exception - access violation". I can change when this crash occurs by inserting write statements into my code and can even eliminate it altogether.
(Since the visual studio debugger is reporting the wrong values of variables while debugging, i've been using a lot of write statements.)
After crashing, i put write statements in to surround the problem line like so:
LRactual = NRM2(rtoCP_RFP) ! THIS LINE IS REPORTED TO CAUSE THE CRASH
Then i run again and a different line causes the same crash, so i insert more write statements surrounding the new problem.
Then the program runs with no problems.
It all seems a bit random and chaotic, but i can repeat the same behavior when i remove/reinsert the write statements.
I have attached a word document with the crash messages.
Sounds like this error could be due to an array index out of range, which wouldn't surprise me if this were the case somewhere. I don't know how to track it down though with the unpredictable behavior.