Two problems - may be Visual Studio

Two problems - may be Visual Studio

When I bring up Visual Studio, the "start page" (Developer news) says:

Content will be available when an internet connection is established.

(well, this computer is on the internet)

and, If I bring up Fortran help, and try to search (I have to go to the menu bar to search)

It gives an error "Microsoft Document Explorer has encountered a problem and has to close".

Am I missing a service pack?  Something else?

This is a pretty new installation of VS 2008, Intel Parallel Studio, and Windows 7 64 bit (Windows Ultimate)

Linda
19 posts / 0 new
Last post
For more complete information about compiler optimizations, see our Optimization Notice.

Try installing the latest service pack (SP1 I think) for VS2008. But you can also go into Tools > Options > Help > Online and set it to "Try local only, not online".

Retired 12/31/2016

When I launch "check for updates", it just goes to windows updates. I do not think I have SP1 for VS 2008 on there.

Linda

Found the SP.  Trying it.

Linda

Updated to SP1 VS2008.  Did not help either problem.

Linda

Further, "But you can also go into Tools > Options > Help > Online and set it to "Try local only, not online"." is not available in VS2008.

Linda

It is in my version.

Attachments: 

AttachmentSize
Downloadimage/png capture.png71.74 KB
Retired 12/31/2016

Well, duh.  Maybe I didn't recheck it after I installed the SP1 update.

It's there now. 

Linda

But I still get an error (now Visual Studio has encountered a problem) if I try to search documentation.

Linda

Try uninstalling aznd reinstalling Fortran.

Retired 12/31/2016

the Visual Studio error happens if I try to search anything (C++ as well).

and start page is still telling me i need an internet connection.

Linda

At this point I'd suggest uninstalling both Fortran and VS and reinstalling.

Retired 12/31/2016

Seems like I have to uninstall parallel studio as well.

Linda

If you have that installed, yes.

Retired 12/31/2016

Didn't help.  I uninstalled them all.  Reinstalled VS 2008, making sure that I installed SP1.  Before I even try to install parallel studio, VS 2008 crashes if you try to search.  Still have the "no internet connection" as well in the start page.

Linda

I did a Google search on "VS2008 search help crash" and found this discussion, which looks useful.

Retired 12/31/2016

I still have not solved this and discovered that Update 4 installed through the "software manager" also installed the VS 2010 shell.  Why don't they have an option to download the one with the novshell.

(FYI - update on the previous subject.  Now, search in help doesn't work but it doesn't crash the VS 2008.   Just closes the help window.  I uninstalled VS2008, parallel studio -- all the little parts and reinstalled).  I do a full install of parallel studio including C++ -- not sure that is part of the cause or not. 

Linda

Okay, think I see about update 4 -- just needed to do custom install and not pick the VS 2010 shell.

Linda

Help options not in my VS 2010...........

Leave a Comment

Please sign in to add a comment. Not a member? Join today