MS Windows SDK and bundled version of MSVS2010

MS Windows SDK and bundled version of MSVS2010

I normally use a full version of MSVS, but am trying to set up my laptop ready to travel to IDF.

On this machine, I only have the bundled version of MSVS.

Some of my apps need to use AdvAPI32.Lib, Comctl32.Lib, ComDlg32.Lib, GDi32.Lib, HtmlHelp.LIb, Kernel32.Lib, Lz32.Lib and User32.Lib, all of which come with v7.0A of the Windows SDK, which is part of MSVS (I need them to interface with the RealWin library, which I am still using).

Is there a way around this, or must I have the full version of MSVS installed?

Thanks,

David

17 posts / 0 new
Last post
For more complete information about compiler optimizations, see our Optimization Notice.

Various versions of the SDK are freely available from MS for download - could you just install that separately?

Most (or perhaps all I haven't checked?) of those libs are installed with the VS2010  shell that is bundled in C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\Intel Fortran\Microsoft Files\VC\PlatformSDK\Lib.

As IanH says you can download and install the full SDK also

>>...I normally use a full version of MSVS...

What Edition of Visual Studio you are going to use? Do you mean VS 2010 Shell, or more advanced Edition, like Standard or Professional?

I just verified and VS 2010 Express Edition does not have any of these libraries:

AdvAPI32.Lib
Comctl32.Lib
ComDlg32.Lib
GDi32.Lib
HtmlHelp.LIb
Kernel32.Lib
Lz32.Lib
User32.Lib

and some Platform SDK needs to be install if you need these libraries in your projects.

I think your answer app4619 (sorry, don't know your real name) answers my problem.  I have always used the ones from the Windows SDK, but better to use the ones installed with MSVS.

The reason I posted the question is that I had tried installing the full SDK, but this failed to install every time on the machine with the Shell version of MSVS, so I wondered whether there was an incompatibility.

Thanks for your help - I'll try the new set of libraries tomorrow.

Thanks,

David

Do not confuse VS Express Edition with what comes with Intel Visual Fortran. VS Express Edition doesn't include the Windows SDK libraries - you have to install those separately. But the bundled environment based on VS2010 Shell does include all of those libraries. I have seen some users find that the path isn't searched for some reason - you can add the explicit path to the library search list if needed.

Retired 12/31/2016

I want to be able to use the same solution and project files on two different computers - one with full MSVS 2010, the other with the shell version (Intel's license conditions that permit me to use the same license on different machines is not matched in the conditions for MSVS).

Unfortunately, the SDK files under the Intel Fortran folder are only available for the shell version of MSVS.  This means that I cannot use the same solution and project files without removing the libraries and re-adding the ones from the different location.  Note that I have the libraries explicitly included in the project file rather than relying on searching for the libraries - rightly or wrongly, I have used this because it works reliably.

Thanks,

David

Normally, this would work fine. May I suggest that rather than adding the libraries to the project you use Tools > Options > Intel Composer XE > Visual Fortran to add the SDK library folder. And usually you shouldn't even have to do this.

Retired 12/31/2016

Quote:

David White wrote:

(Intel's license conditions that permit me to use the same license on different machines is not matched in the conditions for MSVS).

What purchasing channel/edition/version of VS are you using?  For a retail (and some other) channel purchase of the professional edition of recent VS releases (>=2010) the words are "The software is licensed on a per user basis" and "...each user may install and use the software on any number of devices...".

>>...some Platform SDK needs to be install if you need these libraries in your projects...

I don't think that David should install any additional SDKs from Microsoft.

David, Could you look at a C:\Program Files\Microsoft SDKs\Windows folder. On my computer I have two SDKs there: versions 6.0A and 7.0A ( both SDKs have all these libraries you need ).

>>...I normally use a full version of MSVS, but am trying to set up my laptop ready to travel to IDF...

By the way, San Francisco is a really nice city with lots of attractions (!) and places to look at ( I don't know if you've been there ). I wouldn't plan any programming...

hi,

I'm not planning any programming in San Francisco, but I need to after I leave there :-(

The fundamental issue with my laptop is that (a) the 7.0A SDK folder does not contain any of the required library files and that (b) and SDK's I can download fail to install.  This is the core issue that I can't resolve.

BTW, tried following up the suggestion that I can install MSVS on more than one machine - I have found it impossible to find any EULA terms on my computer or on the MS site.

Thanks,

David

I think I have worked out why the SDK won't install - since it is a web install our firewall is blocking the download of the remaining files.  It appears that there is no longer a full package download available for the Windows SDK except via the web installer.

David

Quote:

David White wrote:

BTW, tried following up the suggestion that I can install MSVS on more than one machine - I have found it impossible to find any EULA terms on my computer or on the MS site.

www.microsoft.com/legal/useterms and go from there.  Also try searching for "Visual Studio 2010 and MSDN licensing white paper" (or 2012, if applicable).

Hi everyone,

Seem to have adequately resolved this by removing the explicit references to the libraries and relying on the $(WindowsSdkDir)lib entry in the Libraries directory list.  Not sure why I ever started with the explicit references, as it is clear that they are not (now) needed.

Thanks,

David

>>... I have found it impossible to find any EULA terms on my computer or on the MS site...

Microsoft doesn't release any software without these documents. For example, in case of a Visual Studio look for:

- all files with extensions txt or rtf
- folders: Licenses or Microsoft Visual C++ 20xx [ ... ] - ENU

Thanks, Sergey,

Found the text file as you suggested.  I'm just surprised there are no links within MSVS e.g. from the About page.

Regards,

David

Leave a Comment

Please sign in to add a comment. Not a member? Join today