Poisoned project

Poisoned project

I started a new project, and it called the main program "SOURCE01.f90"

I foolishly tried to change the file name to something more meaningful, but then

it would not compile it, or recognize it as Fortran file, even though I call it ENC.F90

All other fortran files I tried to add would not compile either.

When I do a Build or Rebuild it does nothing at all, and I can't run it either

because it thinks the EXE does not exist.

So why wouldn't the extension of F90 be enough to trigger a compile?

The file does not even show up as a source file, even though I can locate it

using EXPLORER.

Apparently, changing the name of the MAIN program else is something that

Visual Studio can'r cope with - - -

15 posts / 0 new
Last post
For more complete information about compiler optimizations, see our Optimization Notice.

I rename files all the time.

Attach a screenshot of the solution explorer pane with your solution and project expanded out.

Are you sure that the rename didn't introduce something like a trailing space on the filename?

Bill, did you change the name of the f90 file inside of Visual Studio (using the VS menus) or outside (using Windows Explorer)? It makes a huge difference. If you changed the name outside of VS, then VS will no longer recognize the f90 file.

Windows Explorer, after 3.nn went to "we will tell you what the type is and hide the extension". It is now difficult to attribute a folder to show you the file extensions. This results in creating programs with names such as "FOOBAR.F90.txt" with the .txt hidden from view.

Also, renaming a file name from Windows Explorer (or CMD window), does not change the name of the file referenced within the VS project file (it will look for the prior file name).

Jim Dempsey

Further to Jim's comment ...

"Windows Explorer, after 3.nn went to "we will tell you what the type is and hide the extension". It is now difficult to attribute a folder to show you the file extensions. This results in creating programs with names such as "FOOBAR.F90.txt" with the .txt hidden from view."

If you haven't already worked this out, if you want to create a text file, e.g. in Notepad, but don't want .txt as the file extension, you need to surround the whole file name with double quote marks. e.g., Save As ... "mydatafile.abc" or "mysourcefile.f90"

David

David,

I am aware of the Save As in notepad. The problem is, until you have done this once or twice, the unaware might not figure this out. Renaming in Windows Explorer is sometimes so problematic that one must result in launching a CMD window and do the ren from there.

Thanks for your comments, other readers will find it useful. Then there are the issues with system and hidden files/folders etc...

Jim Dempsey

This may have some bearing on another issue -

When you in a project, and you generate a NEW source code, the VS

does not recognize it until you specifially say "BRING INTO." 

In other words it does not know that your intent is to put it into the current project.

Seems kinda silly. Where ELSE would you put it?

No sarcastic answers please. I know you are tempted.......

New files are automatically in the project you create them in, you should not need to "BRING INTO". To create a new file, right click on the project in VS or one of its source folders and select Add: New Item...

I agree it is counter intuitive. You got into the situation by using

File | New | File | Intel(R) Visual Fortran | {your file type here}
enter text here
File | Save As | foobar.f90

The above does create a file, but not associated with the project (in this example as a source).

The proper way is to use the right-click on the project, and follow the prompts from there.

Keep in mind that the VS IDE viewpoint is from a Solution. A solution may contain multiple projects as well as non-project items. Just how would you expect VS to know which project the File | New | File |... files to drop the file into, or for that matter, if you really want the file in any project (as you may be piecing togeter a new file for something completely different).

Doing an add-file from the context of a Project removes this ambiguity.

Also note, in lieu of Right-Click on your project in solution explorer...
Select your project (if not currently selected, using Left-Click), then on toolbar: Project | Add New Item | ...

Jim Dempsey

The questions and comments by the original poster have little to do with Intel's integration of Fortran with Visual Studio.

Now as mentioned in previous posts, it will be a great productivity improvement for Fortran developers if Intel were to also provide added capabilities such as Intellisense for Fortran code similar to what Microsoft offers for its languages (C#, Visual Basic), custom project/solution templates, etc.  But this is totally separate from points discussed in this thread.

For the basic aspects of file, project management, etc. within Visual Studio, I find Intel(R) Visual Fortran completely consistent with how Microsoft handles their own solutions such as C/C++.  So if one develops a good understanding of how Visual Studio works in general (and there are only a trillion gazillion resources out there), one would have little difficulty working on Fortran projects.

Thanks - that was very helpful.

Thanks - that was very helpful.

But would it be too much trouble to say:

"place in current project, or -- "

Then give a menu for another project name.

Or the menu could say:

Current

proj 1

proj 2

etc.

I am all for babying the users whenever possible.

Pardon me while I change my diaper......

As to notepad, if you do a save as and set "save as type" to All FIles, you don't need the quotes....

To display file extensions in Windows Explorer, you can go through Start->Control Panel, then choose Tools->Folder Options from the menu bar.  Under the View tab, uncheck Hide extensions for known file types, and then choose the Apply to All Folders button.  I tried to say this last night, but was foiled by Intel's spam filter.  A fault at my ISP nearly eliminated my email address in the interim.  Would I have been able to retain my nom de plume if this had not been a recoverable error?

RO, I am sure we would have been able to accomodate you.

In Windows 7 and 8, the instructions are a bit different. If you go in through Control Panel, you don't have to select Tools > Folder Options. Just go to the View tab. You can also get at this in a folder window through Organize > Folder and search options. This is the first thing I change when I am on a new Windows system.

Retired 12/31/2016

Leave a Comment

Please sign in to add a comment. Not a member? Join today