Debugger showing "Undefined Adress" for allocatable array in type extension

Debugger showing "Undefined Adress" for allocatable array in type extension

Hi everybody,

I think I found an issue with the debugger in VS2012 and IVF 2013 SP1. When I declare an allocatable array in an extended type, but use any variable of this type only through polymorphism, the debugger fails to show the content of the allocated array. I attached some code and a picture to show the exact problem.

Hervé

AttachmentSize
Downloadimage/png 2013-11-28 15-51-00.png9.52 KB
Downloadapplication/octet-stream Source1_0.f90213 bytes
9 posts / 0 new
Last post
For more complete information about compiler optimizations, see our Optimization Notice.

Oups, I forgot a file...

Attachments: 

AttachmentSize
Downloadapplication/octet-stream Source2_1.f90796 bytes

Hi Hervé,

I tried with latest version IVF 2013 SP1 Update 1, and it looks like the issue is fixed there. Can you try with the latest update?

Regards,

Igor

Hi Igor,

After reinstalling the update (it was already installed I think), the problem is still there. If it can help, I am running Visual Studio 2012 Update 4.

Regards

Hervé

Maybe it is specific for VS2012. I tried with VS2010. Going to try it with 2012 and be back with an update.

Yes, this is specific for VS2012. I reproduced the problem and will escalate. Thanks for reporting this issue.

I tried to move from VS2010 to VS2012 today and found that this bug is also present with non polymorphic objects. So VS2012 integration is not really worth using. Is VS2013 OK ?

Quote:

Andrew Smith wrote:

I tried to move from VS2010 to VS2012 today and found that this bug is also present with non polymorphic objects. So VS2012 integration is not really worth using. Is VS2013 OK ?

I find Visual Studio 2012 to be a major step back by Microsoft: the entire look-and-feel is horrendous and the overall user experience is much poorer compared to VS2008 and VS2010.  I also find it sluggish and somewhat unstable, more prone to crashes than VS2010.

In addition, the Intel Fortran integration with VS2012  seems to have some issues, at least in terms of code debugging experience.  I find VS2010 better in this regard.  For example, derived type data, especially allocatable components and those extended from abstract types, are not always visible - one gets undefined address whereas the same code and same project in VS2010 will show the data in the debugger.  Also, stepping through the debugger feels perceptibly slower in VS2012 compared to VS2010.

So the only time I use VS2012 is for some .NET managed code applications that absolutely need .NET Framework 4.5.

I've not used VS2013, but according to some of my colleagues, it is not much different from VS2012 and most of the issues are still outstanding.

Hello,

I'd like to inform you that we solved the problem with Intel(R) Composer XE 2013 SP1 Update 2. It will be available beginning of February. Please give it a try.

I'd also like to point out the following thread:
http://software.intel.com/de-de/forums/topic/401256#comment-1750574

If you've only installed Visual Studio 2012* (and later) you also need to install the Visual Studio 2010* Redistributable Package. In the mid-term this requirement will go away with a future version.

Best regards,

Georg Zitzlsberger

Leave a Comment

Please sign in to add a comment. Not a member? Join today