problem getting IVF compiler running

problem getting IVF compiler running

I purchased the latest version of IVF compiler for Windows 8 last week, having already checked out the trial version a couple of months ago.  I believe I managed to download the code OK and even the installation seemed to go well, except at the very end when it asks me to hit ‘finish’, it says that I would be sent to the ‘start page’, but wasn’t.  I am having problems running the IVF compiler – I’m stuck on the page which is included in the attachment.  I have also attached some correspondence showing proof o f purchase and product serial #.  I find I cannot go any further as I do not know my license code even though a file containing that info was attached.  The start page also mentions about my license having already expired.   I am assuming that the product I have just purchased will allow me to do exactly what I had been doing before when operating on Windows 7 – correct?

I would appreciate if you could let me know what I am missing in getting IVF compiler running – thanks.

26 posts / 0 new
Last post
For more complete information about compiler optimizations, see our Optimization Notice.

You may know Visual Studio 2013 and Intel Fortran are two separate products even though they integrate with each other.  The former is licensed from Microsoft and the latter from Intel.

It looks like your trial license for Visual Studio has expired.  If you plan to use Visual Studio, you need to get a license for it too.

I removed your attachment as it included your Intel serial number.

Please uninstall Intel Fortran and the VS2013 Trial. Then reinstall Fortran, selecting the download that says it "includes Microsoft Visual Studio Shell".

Retired 12/31/2016

Hi Steve:  I tried what you suggested, i.e. uninstalling Fortran and VS2013, then reinstalling the Fortran again, selecting "includes Microsoft Visual Studio Shell", but I got the message listed in the attachment.  I do not feel comfortable with the two items listed, (1) that there already is a Fortran package present as I believe I uninstalled it and (2) the debugger is not installed, so I didn't go further with the installation process.

Purchasing this package I believe the code would provide me with exactly the same features (or more) on Windows OS 8 as I had before with Windows OS Vista/7 - am I correct in that assumption?

What is the next step as I would like to get this package up and running as soon as possible - thanks for your help.

Attachments: 

AttachmentSize
Downloadimage/png 2014_03_17_a.png196.8 KB

You can ignore the messages in that screenshot. They aren't important to you (unless you intended to develop programs for Intel Xeon Phi coprocessors.) The first message is simply saying that you had previously installed an older version and that the VS integration from that older version would be replaced. Installing on Windows 8 should give you the same capabilities as on Windows 7.

Retired 12/31/2016

Thanks Steve. I believe the IVF is now installed OK, but where do I find the actual executable code? In which directory is it located? Thanks

If you're building in Visual Studio, it will be in the subdirectory of the project for the project configuration. By default these are named Debug and Release.

If you meant where is the Intel Visual Fortran installation, it is under C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Composer XE 2013 SP1

Retired 12/31/2016

I would like to know what file name the IVF is called and where it is located. I had already looked into the directory (attached) which you mentioned above and I don't see the IVF application in this or any of the sub-directories.

Attachments: 

AttachmentSize
Downloadimage/png 2014_03_18_a.png122.25 KB

There are various executables that are part of the product. The compiler itself is ifort.exe in the Bin subfolder there. Visual Studio is in its own folder under Program Files (x86).

Retired 12/31/2016

I found ifort.exe in the bin/ sub-folders intel64 and bin/a32, but when I clicked on either of them a dos-like screen came up and then immediately disappeared.  Is this what is meant to happen?  Also what is the difference between these two applications?

When I run IVF on windows vista or 7, I run the application program devenv.exe located in c:\program files\Microsoft visual studio 9.0\common7\ide.  I go to the equivalent directory, c:\program files (x86) \Microsoft visual studio 12.0\common7\ide on my, laptop running windows 8 and there are no exe files there.  How do I run IVF on windows 8 exactly the same as I did with windows 7 on the MVS platform?

ifort.exe is not meant to be double-clicked - it is run from a command prompt.

You want to start Visual Studio. You do this exactly the way you would on Windows 7. Best is to use the shortcut for Visual Studio installed in the Start menu,  I suspect however, that on your Windows 8 system you have left the default of hiding file types for "known extensions". When you bring up the folder in WIndows Explorer, click on the View tab and check the box for File Name Extensions.

Please read the documentation on using Visual Studio. You can find it under Intel Parallel Studio XE 2013 in the Start menu or here,

Retired 12/31/2016

I am now trying to run Intel Parallel Studio XE 2013 and everything appears to work OK in the compilation process except it will not compile my resource file *.rc.  It gives me the following error message " Error 1  fatal error RC1015: cannot open include file 'windows.h'. C:\opticsoft\i1311\opticsoft.rc 5", the same one if I remember correctly when I was running my previous version of IVF on this operating system.  This is the reason for going to this latest version, which I was informed would run my program as before.  I need to be able to incorporate he resource file in my program otherwise this latest version of IVF is absolutely of no use.  What is needed to get around this problem?

Try replacing windows.h with winres.h in the .rc file.

Retired 12/31/2016

That appeared to work as it did not object to 'winres.h', but now it objects to #include <commctrl.h>.  I suspect it will also object to #include <richedit.h> as well.  Could you provide me with the substitutes for those as well - thanks.

I suggest at this point that you install the Windows SDK which provides these files (they come along with MSVC but not the VS Shell.) I think that just restarting VS will be enough to pick this up, but if not you'll need to add the SDK's Include folder to Tools > Options > Intel Composer XE > Visual Fortran > Compiler > Includes.

Retired 12/31/2016

I downloaded and installed Windows SDKand it appears to be included in the include folder OK.  However, when I try to compile my resource file, I get the following message; c:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\Intel Fortran\Microsoft Files\VC\PlatformSDK\include\commctrl.h(94) : fatal error RC1015: cannot open include file 'prsht.h'.

What next?  Thanks.

Add the path to the new Include folder to the Includes list I mentioned above. You might even remove the line with $(WindowsSDKDir).

Retired 12/31/2016

Not sure what you mean.

The following lists the contents within the include folder.

$(IFortInstallDir)compiler\include
$(IFortInstallDir)compiler\include\ia32
$(IFortInstallDir)mkl\include
$(VCInstallDir)atlmfc\include
$(VCInstallDir)include
$(WindowsSdkDir)include
$(FrameworkSDKDir)include

Where do I add the path and what exactly should the path contain?

Thanks.

Click on the ... to the right of Include files. Replace the line:

$(WindowsSdkDir)include

with the full path to where the SDK installed the .h files. For example:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v7.1A\Include

Retired 12/31/2016

I checked in the directory C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SDKs\Windows and there were 3 subfolders, v7.0A, v8.0A and v8.1A. v7.0A had a further subfolder 'bin' and the other two had 'bin' and 'bootstrapper'.  I searched in the Microsoft SDKs for any *.h files and while there. were ~20, there wasn't a 'prsht.h' file.  There were also none in the subfolders mentioned above.

On my system I have the 7.1A SDK and it is in there.  It comes from VS2012. Try http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/desktop/hh852363.aspx

Retired 12/31/2016

I just found the include files in C:\Program Files\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v7.1\Include directory (not Program Files (x86).  I then modified the include section as shown below

$(IFortInstallDir)compiler\include
$(IFortInstallDir)compiler\include\ia32
$(IFortInstallDir)mkl\include
$(VCInstallDir)atlmfc\include
$(VCInstallDir)include
$C:\Program Files\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v7.1A\Include
$(FrameworkSDKDir)include

but I got the same error message as before when compiling the resource file, not being able to open 'prsht.h' file even though it is present in the include directory.

Did you take out the line for $(WindowsSDKDIr)\include ? I am not sure why all those C .h files are being included in a .rc.

Retired 12/31/2016

Yes, I deleted that include.  What is included in the include section is exactly what you see above.

The lines below are the first lines of the resource file for compilation:

// Generated by ResEdit 1.5.4

// Copyright (C) 2006-2010

// http://www.resedit.net

#include <winres.h>

#include <commctrl.h>

#include <richedit.h>

#include "osd.h"

//

// Menu resources

//

LANGUAGE LANG_ENGLISH, SUBLANG_ENGLISH_US

CMNDLGMENU MENU

{

POPUP ""

{

MENUITEM "&Undo\tCtrl+Z", IDM_UNDO

MENUITEM SEPARATOR

MENUITEM "Cu&t\tCtrl+C", IDM_CUT

MENUITEM "&Copy\tCtrl+C", IDM_COPY

MENUITEM "&Paste\tCtrl+V", IDM_PASTE

}

The following lines are the output after the resource file failed to compile

Compiling resources...

opticsoft.rc

Microsoft (R) Windows (R) Resource Compiler Version 6.1.7600.16385

Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

c:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\Intel Fortran\Microsoft Files\VC\PlatformSDK\include\commctrl.h(94) : fatal error RC1015: cannot open include file 'prsht.h'.

Build log written to "file://c:\opticsoft\i1311\opticsoft\opticsoft\Debug\BuildLog.htm"

opticsoft - 1 error(s), 0 warning(s)

If you think it useful I can include the complete resource file.

I do have a number of Microsoft Visual Studio applications, blank, 8.0, 9.0, 10.0 and 12.0 in both the c:\program files\ and c:\program files (x86)\ I thought I had removed them with the uninstall feature.  Which should I keep as it appears from the compilation error that it was looking into the 10.0 version?

Thanks for the help.

---------------------- Done ----------------------

Hi Steve: I spent quite some time playing around with this and that trying o get the IVF compiler working and finally managed to get some luck when I decided to copy and paste the actual address of the include file from its directory location to the include box instead of typing it in.  Not sure why this worked unless there are some hidden characters present as the lines containing the include statements appeared exactly the same.  Anyway I do have the IVF compiler working now.

Thanks for your help. Cheers, Ian

Glad to hear it.

Retired 12/31/2016

Leave a Comment

Please sign in to add a comment. Not a member? Join today