Intel Visual Fortran XE 2013 and the TFS Build System

Intel Visual Fortran XE 2013 and the TFS Build System

I have installed Intel Fortran XE 2013 SP 1 on our Build Server. I was expecting the TFS Build System (MSBuild) to be able to build my Intel Fortran XE 2013 SP 1 project. However I get a "must be opened in the Visual Studio IDE and converted to the latest version" message. Does this indicate that Intel Fortran is not integrated with the TFS Build system? If so, how should I proceed given that I have several Fortran projects I was hoping to be able to build in the build definition?

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
For more complete information about compiler optimizations, see our Optimization Notice.

Hello Charles,

MSBUILD does not yet support Fortran projects, as far as I know.  I think this has been requested, let me check on the status.

Patrick

Hello Charles,

We do have an open feature request for this, to which I will attach this thread.  It may be some time before we provide this; I would not expect it to occur in IVF 14, but there is some interest in providing support in a future version of the compiler.  I'll keep this thread updated with any news.

Patrick

Thanks for letting me know. Looks like I have to write another add-in for our build system. Oh joy!

Has there been any progress on this?  I am a TFS 2013 update 4 and Visual Studio 2013 update 4 Product Manager and have a customer who is attempting to run builds through the Intel Composer XE 2013 SP1.  The build is successful with the following warning:

Debug | Win32

0 error(s), 1 warning(s)

$/ZZHarvTestFORTRAN/FORTRANHelloWorld3/HelloWorld3/HelloWorld3.sln - 0 error(s), 1 warning(s), View Log File

I:\Builds\SandBox_4\ZZHarvTestFORTRAN\BuildFORTRANHelloWorld\src\FORTRANHelloWorld3\HelloWorld3\HelloWorld3\HelloWorld3.vfproj.metaproj: The project file "HelloWorld3\HelloWorld3.vfproj" is not supported by MSBuild and cannot be built.

$/ZZHarvTestFORTRAN/FORTRANHelloWorld3/HelloWorld3/HelloWorld3.sln compiled

If I go to the drop folder all it has is a few log files (no exes or other normally dropped files) and the only useful item I can find in the logs is:

I:\Builds\SandBox_4\ZZHarvTestFORTRAN\BuildFORTRANHelloWorld\src\FORTRANHelloWorld3\HelloWorld3\HelloWorld3\HelloWorld3.vfproj.metaproj : warning MSB4078: The project file "HelloWorld3\HelloWorld3.vfproj" is not supported by MSBuild and cannot be built.
After some time on Google I have figured out that it means vfproj or FORTRAN is not supported in MSBuild.

I was under the impression that the point of purchasing and installing the Intel tool was to allow this code to compile?  Please assist

I checked the open feature request we have to get IVF working with MSBuild.  A few additional customers have requested this, but so far we don't have a sufficient number to reach a tipping point.  Should that change, I'll update this thread.

Thanks for your feedback, I will add it to the FR.

Patrick

Leave a Comment

Please sign in to add a comment. Not a member? Join today