PRINT "('After :',*(L1,:,1X))", array
CONTAINS
  SUBROUTINE proc(arg)
    LOGICAL, VALUE :: arg(:)
    !****
    arg = .FALSE.
  END SUBROUTINE proc
END PROGRAM DubiousValues

arg should be associated with an anonymous data object that has the value of array (but not actually associated with array), etc.  But...

>ifort /check:all /warn:all /standard-semantics "2014-07-22 DubiousValues.f90" && "2014-07-22 DubiousValues.exe"
Intel(R) Visual Fortran Intel(R) 64 Compiler XE for applications running on Intel(R) 64, Version 15.0.0.070 Beta Build 20140530
Copyright (C) 1985-2014 Intel Corporation.  All rights reserved.

Microsoft (R) Incremental Linker Version 10.00.40219.01
Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.

"-out:2014-07-22 DubiousValues.exe"
-subsystem:console
"2014-07-22 DubiousValues.obj"
Before:T T T
After :F F F

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
For more complete information about compiler optimizations, see our Optimization Notice.

F2003, C527 (R501) : If the VALUE attribute is specified, the PARAMETER, EXTERNAL, POINTER, ALLOCATABLE, DIMENSION, VOLATILE, INTENT(INOUT), or INTENT(OUT) attribute shall not be specified. 

Should the compiler not detect that VALUE precludes DIMENSION for a dummy argument?

The restriction on DIMENSION and VALUE has been lifted in F2008 (I'd forgotten that the restriction existed previously).  Perhaps the compiler's left error checking foot got a bit ahead of its right implementation foot.

Interesting. I wonder if the assumed-shape threw it off. We'll look into this.

A couple of things of note. One is that in 15.0 we changed the default so that VALUE with a non-BIND(C) routine passes an anonymous copy by reference, rather than passing by value as the compiler had done earlier. You can get the old behavior back with /assume:nostd_value.

Second, though it isn't relevant here, if the procedure is BIND(C), only scalars may have the VALUE attribute - this was clarified in an interpretation. The new wording is (emphasis mine):

"any scalar dummy argument with the VALUE attribute is interoperable with the corresponding formal parameter of the prototype"

Steve - Intel Developer Support

Escalated as DPD200358966. I also discovered that if the dummy argument is made to be fixed-shape, stack is corrupted. This was separately escalated.

The reported issue has been fixed - I think the fix will be in 16.0.1 but I am not certain of that. If not, then Update 2.

Leave a Comment

Please sign in to add a comment. Not a member? Join today