Getting text from an edit box control

Getting text from an edit box control

I am writing a simple windows application and in my main window message processing function I create a child window that is an edit box:

btn = ior(ior(WS_CHILD, WS_VISIBLE), ES_LEFT)
        hEdt2 = CreateWindowEx(WS_EX_CLIENTEDGE, "Edit"C, ""C, btn, 101, 134, 100, 20, hWnd, 10, ghInstance, NULL)

This executes correctly and I get a child window that is an edit box control. Note that this child window resides in the client area of my main window; it is not part of a dialog box.

I enter text into this edit box and I want to read that text into a character variable. I tried the GetWindowText(hEdt2, ...) function and that returned an empty string. I tried SendMessage(hEdt2, WM_GETTEXT, ...) and SendMessage(hEdt2, EM_GETLINE, ...), and they also returned empty strings. How can I read the text from an edit box control that is not part of a dialog box?

Thanks!

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
For more complete information about compiler optimizations, see our Optimization Notice.

Both method should work but remember if your string is gbuf you will probably need  to pass loc(gbuf) in the LPTSTR for the Sendmessage

not 'probably' --

rval = SendControlMessage (hwnd, controlId, WM_GETTEXT, length, LOC(contents))

My bad - I forgot to declare the edit box handle with the "save" attribute. When I did, both GetWindowText and SendMessage (using loc function) worked correctly.

Thanks for your help.

Glad you fixed It Steven,

@Paul, LOL yes not "probably need", I think I meant "probably need to add because you maybe haven't already"  

Leave a Comment

Please sign in to add a comment. Not a member? Join today