I have just successfully installed Intel Parallel Studio XE SP1 x86-64bit on Ubuntu 10.04 64bit.However, I cannot start the GUI of the Vtune Amplifier XE.When I run "amplxe-gui" from the command line, the GUI window does not open,and the command does not return. The process amplxe-gui is using 0% CPU.Pressing Ctrl+C immediately terminates the process and returns to the command prompt.
Documentation has not helped me with this problem, and I haven't found anything in this forum. I would greatly appreciate some help!
Here are some details on my installation:
1) The Vtune product came as a part of Parallel Studio XE SP1 x86-64bit
2) I am running it on Ubuntu 10.04 64-bit, and all packages are up to date
3) I have a file /etc/profile.d/intel.sh with the following lines:
source /opt/intel/bin/compilervars.sh intel64
4) Vtune's environment variables are indeed set correctly: $PATHcontains the path to amplxe-* files, thanks to sourcing amplxe-vars.sh
5) The user I am running as is a member of the group "vtune"
6) Command "amplxe-cl -version" gives the following:
Intel VTune Amplifier XE 2011 Update 5 (build 186533) Command Line Tool
Copyright (C) 2009-2011 Intel Corporation. All rights reserved.
7) The release notes for this version say that Ubuntu 10.04 is supported
8) Command "java -version" gives the following:
OpenJDK Runtime Environment (IcedTea6 1.9.9) (6b20-1.9.9-0ubuntu1~10.04.2)
OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (build 19.0-b09, mixed mode)
9) An important observation: when I uninstall the Java runtime environment,the symptoms are exactly the same. However, my Java installation does work:I can run all java applications online.
Thanks in advance! I have used VTune on other systems, and it worked like a charm almost out of the box. I am banging my head against the wall trying to make it work under Ubuntu, though...