How to tell if the Linux VTune Amplifier XE event-based sampling (EBS) kernel driver is working correctly

How to tell if the Linux VTune Amplifier XE event-based sampling (EBS) kernel driver is working correctly

If I try to do a lightweight hotspots analysis with VTune I get a message saying that the kernel driver needs to be installed/reinstalled. The support guys are saying that as far as they know this has been done. But it's still not working.

How can I tell if the kernel driver is installed correctly and running?

Thanks

David

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
For more complete information about compiler optimizations, see our Optimization Notice.
Best Reply

Hi David,

After installing the product, simply check if drivers are available in your system:
1) lsmod | grep sep3
2) lsmod | grep pax

If there is no driver installed (there is no pre-built driver for your system), please do:
# cd /opt/intel/vtune_amplifier_xe_2011/sepdk/src/
# ./build-driver
# ./insmod-sep3
# ./boot-script --install

Then you can use lsmod to re-check, or simply use command line to test:
# source /opt/intel/vtune_amplifier_xe_2011/amplxe-vars.sh
# amplxe-cl -collect lightweight-hotspots -duration 3

Regards, Peter

Thnaks, Peter. All sorted. The other step is adding me to the vtune group. All sorted!

Peter,
I have a customer that is remotely using vtune_amplifier_xe_2011 on aXeon x7560system that Intel owns.

They report in a similar forum posting: http://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/showthread.php?t=78661
that they can't get the lightweight-hotspots to work.

As root on the system, I have justcompleted the steps that you gave prior - thanks much. But I can't find the amplxe-vars.sh to source, and so I don't know if just installing the drivers fixes their problem onthis machine.

Thanks
Mike

Quoting Mike Pearce (Intel)Peter,
I have a customer that is remotely using vtune_amplifier_xe_2011 on aXeon x7560system that Intel owns.

They report in a similar forum posting: http://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/showthread.php?t=78661
that they can't get the lightweight-hotspots to work.

As root on the system, I have justcompleted the steps that you gave prior - thanks much. But I can't find the amplxe-vars.sh to source, and so I don't know if just installing the drivers fixes their problem onthis machine.

Thanks
Mike

Hi Mike,

amplxe-vars.sh is under VTune Amplifier XE 2001 installation directory, default is/opt/intel/vtune_amplifier_xe_2011.Couldn't you find that?

Anyway, even you don't source that - you still can try "/opt/intel/vtune_amplifier_xe_2011/bin64/amplxe-cl -collect lightweight-hotspots -duration 5" to verify if the driver collects data.

Regards, Peter

Leave a Comment

Please sign in to add a comment. Not a member? Join today