A bug in vtss.sys

149 posts / 0 new
Last post
For more complete information about compiler optimizations, see our Optimization Notice.

dump is attached.

Attachments: 

AttachmentSize
Downloadapplication/x-7z-compressed MEMORY.DMP.7z95.89 MB
--
With best regards,
VooDooMan
-
If you find my post helpful, please rate it and/or select it as a best answer where applies. Thank you.

What I can download file, the size is 50.4 MB (52,922,661 bytes) only - I tried several times. 

@Peter

Is that file freely available to download?

@iliyapolak

Anyone posts an attached file which is public, but I cannot download...I don't know why, maybe file size has exceeded max size, 20MB?

I can get dump file from https://archive.org/details/MEMORY.DMP.7z, and I have escalated this result to dev team. We need to wait because now is holiday season:-)

@Peter

It seems that when I responded to post #53 the dump file was not uploaded.

I can confirm that I was able to download that file.

Tomorrow I will look at this.

@Marian

Unfortunately every time when I try to download your dump file the file itself is corrupted.Can you upload it to skydrive?

@iliyapolak

please, use above link to archive.org, since this forum is broken, often my replies are not going to pass due to broken spam filter.

--
With best regards,
VooDooMan
-
If you find my post helpful, please rate it and/or select it as a best answer where applies. Thank you.

@Marian

Ok I will download from archive.org.

@Marian and Peter

After short analysis of the dump file it seems that BSOD is triggered by Windows kernel mode function.

This disassembled line of code  fffff801`82610490 8b02            mov     eax,dword ptr [rdx] ds:00000005`ffd01328=???????? is probably responsible for bringing down the system.By looking at the callstack I suppose that code which has been resolved as a  hal!HalSendSoftwareInterrupt+0x51 is accessing or reading a value at invalid memory location pointed by rdx register.That location could have been paged out prior to the HalSoftwareInterrupt execution thus triggering the BSOD.It is strange because Windows kernel mode code should not either causing page fault of pageable pool or referencing invalid memory address at IRQL == 0x2.VTune vtss.sys can be responsible for calling HalSoftwareInterrupt at IRQL == 0x2,but I do not suppose that driver developer(s) could have know before that referenced paged pool will be either invalid or paged out.

Tomorrow I plan to spend more time investigating this issue.

One of the possible workaround could be for example insertion of call to KeLowerIrql() function before the call to HalSendSoftwareInterrupt in order to protect the system against the situation when the  system-level code is about to incur page fault or reference invalid memory at IRQL == DPC level i.e 0x2.

On the assumption that KeRaiseIrql() function calls HalSendSoftwareInterrupt to probably raise/lower IRQL to APC/DPC level.

@Peter

Can you suggest my check(workaround) which was posted post no. #62  to vtss.sys developer(s) or at least to ask them if this could be helpful in the problem solving?

So far VTune did not cause  new BSOD.

@ iliyapolak

I have forwarded your workaround of #62 to our engineering team. Thank you

@Peter

Thank you.

@Peter

Do you have an answer from VTune developers?

It seems that after introduction the new award system my Black Belt status has been downgraded.

@iliyapolak

Still has no update from our engineering...don't know why your Black Belt was downgraded:-(

It should be system issue...after replying to you, I was downloaded too. Don't worry, it should be recovered.

Yes it seems that this is a system issue.I have already informed Kathy about that.

FYI, FWIW

Recently, I have a new machine (Haswell architecture, Core I7, 4 cores, 8 logical processors) and the behaviour is the same.

Win 8.1 x64, x64 project.

But I don't have enough resources to upload memory dump again, since I have 16 GiB of RAM compared to 8 GiB on the old machine (core2 quad).

--
With best regards,
VooDooMan
-

Hi @Marian

Fortunately I do not have those crashes anymore,but now VS 2013 VTune integration causes access violation when VS debugger is active.So for debugging I must switch to VS 2010.

My computer crashed even in idle time because of vtss.sys

Seems the only way is to remove it...

@James H 

Can you upload the kernel dump file?

sorry, I can't find the dump file after rebooting... odd thing even the screen read as it finished dumping mem file

and this is the third time it crashed within a week after I installed the newest edition for testing...

and after installation, I even haven't open VTune program for any one time...

and it keeps bothering me with BSOD (twice in idle while I sleeping and woke up find it BLUE, the other time I was doing other things with comp not programming with VS/Intel Studio)

>>>sorry, I can't find the dump file after rebooting... odd thing even the screen read as it finished dumping mem file>>>

Please check if the setting for creating dump file are not set to "Create Full Dump".Set  dump file to full kernel dump.

BSOD explanation

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/ff558949(v=vs.85).aspx

>>>and after installation, I even haven't open VTune program for any one time...

and it keeps bothering me with BSOD (twice in idle while I sleeping and woke up find it BLUE, the other time I was doing other things with comp not programming with VS/Intel Studio>>>

Does it mean that BSOD happened when VTune was not in use?

Yes, VS/Vtune not running, it crashed again this morning, same BSOD error

still no dump even I double checked the configuration of BSOD dumping setting (fixing it now)

I've decided to remove VTune...it bothers me so much

Quote:

iliyapolak wrote:

>>>and after installation, I even haven't open VTune program for any one time...

and it keeps bothering me with BSOD (twice in idle while I sleeping and woke up find it BLUE, the other time I was doing other things with comp not programming with VS/Intel Studio>>>

Does it mean that BSOD happened when VTune was not in use?

@James H

Have you searched for .dmp file?

>>>Yes, VS/Vtune not running, it crashed again this morning, same BSOD error>>>

vtss.sys is active and I suppose that it is corrupting paged pool.

Did you try to reinstall VTune? Or maybe install it on different machine?

@ Intel

Is the any time schedule for update of Vtune fixing this bug? I need advanced analysis so badly.

--
With best regards,
VooDooMan
-

Still there is not an answer from Intel.

Quote:

iliyapolak wrote:

Still there is not an answer from Intel.

I don't want to be rude, but this fact I am seeing myself.

I was questioning Intel's response by tag "@ Intel".

--
With best regards,
VooDooMan
-

@Marian

If you need VTune analysis I can do it.My installation works perfectly.

Quote:

iliyapolak wrote:

@Marian

IMO (tho I might be wrong) this depends on microarchitecture and various other things.

The bug is present in both core2 quad and laptop i7 with Haswell microarchittecture, i.e. 2 different machines. Clearly there is some bug. I don't want to blame Intel, since it is possible Microsoft drivers could be causing problem in association with Intel driver.

The last Microsoft's Tuesday (the second Tuesday in month bringing updates) didn't helped, though I always send BSOD dump to Microsoft.

--
With best regards,
VooDooMan
-

Quote:

iliyapolak wrote:

@Marian

I really appreciate your offer, but it is a lot tricky, since I am coding VST plug-in for DAW software. Thank you very much, but it would be extremely painful for you to setup all needed SW's on your side (besides COM registration, etc...).

--
With best regards,
VooDooMan
-

Quote:

Marián "VooDooMan" Meravý wrote:

Quote:

iliyapolak wrote:

@Marian

I really appreciate your offer, but it is a lot tricky, since I am coding VST plug-in for DAW software. Thank you very much, but it would be extremely painful for you to setup all needed SW's on your side (besides COM registration, etc...).

I thought that you have much simplier code or project to test.

>>>Clearly there is some bug. I don't want to blame Intel, since it is possible Microsoft drivers could be causing problem in association with Intel driver>>>

One of the posted here BSOD 's was probably caused by vstss.sys because of forbidden by design of Win kernel operation performed by Intel driver.The second BSOD from the post #73 is much harder to understand.

@ Intel

Same question again: Is there some time schedule for update VTune upgrading vtss.sys which fixes the bug?

--
With best regards,
VooDooMan
-

I always track this issue and reported the status to our engineering. Unfortunately this problem is hard to be reproduced...but it should be exist because many users are ware of this BSOD. We are sorry for that and thanks to iliyapolak who provided a workaround for using VTune avoid vtss issue.

Here are resolution from our developer -"contains two different issues - (1) a crash on closing an invalid handle under Driver Verifier, and (2) a page fault at a DPC level in HalSendSoftwareInterrupt.".

The developer made an amendment to #1 - added explicit checks for bad args - see if that solves the problem. If not - that must be a crash caused by a subtler issue (like memory corruption), in which case we will need a fresh crash dump and a detailed description (step-by-step) of what was going on before the crash. As to #2 - that would be nice if the user tried update 16 (Peter: It will be ready soon), but I do not promise anything - that will just help us get a fresh crash dump to analyze. And again, more detailed description of what was going on before the crash is welcome. Like whether the Driver Verifier was active, whether it happened at the very beginning of profiling, what kind of workload was analyzed (multithreaded, single-threaded, etc.), which system it was, was any .vtss trace generated?

Peter: regarding that many BSOD errors occurred on Windows 8 with new microarchitecture, i.e. Haswell platform, it could be a workaround to work VTune on Windows 7 to avoid drivers conflicting.

Thanks for your patience if you can wait more time to try coming Update 16. Please provide info when BSOD happens again:

1. amplxe-feedback -create-bug-report <report archive> ; let us know your environment

2. Give us what you did as more as detail, with dump file; required by developer.

Again, sorry for any inconvenience caused.

Regards, Peter 

>>>We are sorry for that and thanks to iliyapolak who provided a workaround for using VTune avoid vtss issue.>>>

@Peter

I am glad to hear that my workaround really was helpful.

You are always welcome, iliyapolak!

All, please note that VTune(TM) Amplifier XE 2013 Update 16 will be ready after 24 hours, if you find BSOD again - give me info as I posted on 03/14/2014 - 10:29

Thank you!

@Peter

Thank you very much.

Fortunately I do not have BSOD more, but as I said it earlier VS debugger crashes when I try to debug my code.It is due to VTune integration.I plan to investigate that issue.

It sounds everything is OK after installing VTune(TM) Amplifier XE 2013 Update 16?

Then you never saw a BSOD, even when using the VS debugger?

Hi Peter

I need to install Update 16 and check if I can use VS debugger.

I will let you know.

Yes VS debugger crashes when VTune VS integration.

Peter,

I can confirm after like 1 week of using VTune, I had no BSOD.

Though, when I click "new analysis" I see no "haswell" node in the tree view. I have Haswell i7.

--
With best regards,
VooDooMan
-

@ Marián "VooDooMan" Meravý

I'm glad there is no BSOD on your side. Yes, there is no node for "Haswell" - only Intel Core 2, Nehalem, SandBridge have CPU specific analysis types. Haswell & IvyBridge have no CPU specific analysis.

You can use General Exploration & Bandwidth analysis for Haswell platform.

I am running the latest (update 16) and I am still getting the above BSOD. This is on a Win7-64bit install using a Core i7 processor. Happens everytime I attempt to install the sample driver. I just am trying to use the eval version to verify if this tool fits our needs.

@Robert G.

can you post results from windbg tool? use "!analyze -v" command.

--
With best regards,
VooDooMan
-

@Robert

Please upload analyze -v output

@iliyapolak

You don't need to verbatim copy my posts, to earn the points.

--
With best regards,
VooDooMan
-

Pages

Leave a Comment

Please sign in to add a comment. Not a member? Join today