Resolving kernel symbols with Xeon Phi and MPSS 3.1.2

Resolving kernel symbols with Xeon Phi and MPSS 3.1.2

I'm trying to understand why an application is spending lots of time in [vmlinux], but I can't get VTune to resolve the MIC's kernel. I have found some suggestions (http://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/topic/387212) to tell amplxe-cl to search /lib/firmware/mic to resolve kernel symbols, but this directory doesn't exist anymore. (I imagine it did with earlier versions of the MIC tools.)

I'm currently running amplxe-cl like so:

amplxe-cl -collect knc-hotspots -search-dir all:rp=/usr/share/mpss/firmware -- ssh mic0 naughtyprogram

However, the search path I've given doesn't help amplxe-cl resolve symbols in vmlinux, since

amplxe-cl -report hotspots -filter module=vmlinux -r tmp

only yields:

[vmlinux]  vmlinux         40.703

I'm running MPSS 3.1.2, which seems to have moved a lot of things around. How can I help vtune resolve vmlinux symbols?

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
For more complete information about compiler optimizations, see our Optimization Notice.
Best Reply

Sorry.  I've been meaning to write something about the changes for MPSS 3, and I just haven't been able to find the time, so I'll make a little time right now.  Yes, the location for kernel symbols has changed with MPSS 3, and a little preparatory work may be needed.  The new path you should become familiar with for MPSS 3 is /opt/mpss/3.1.2/sysroots/k1om-mpss-linux/ (substitute your MPSS version for the 3.1.2 string).  In that directory you should find a "boot" directory that will have a vmlinux image (mine is called vmlinux-2.6.38.8+mpss3.1.2, in keeping with being on MPSS 3.1.2).  You may need to add a symlink, vmlinux, pointing at that image:

$ ll
total 97280
-rw-r--r-- 1 root  2761952 Dec 18 19:17 bzImage-2.6.38.8+mpss3.1.2
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root       26 Jan 14 11:10 vmlinux -> vmlinux-2.6.38.8+mpss3.1.2
-rw-r--r-- 1 root 96739561 Dec 18 19:17 vmlinux-2.6.38.8+mpss3.1.2

VTune Amplifier looks for vmlinux.  If you add this path to the list within VTune Amplifier, it should be able to resolve MPSS 3 kernel symbols.  While you're there, you might also want to add /opt/mpss/3.1.2/sysroots/k1om-mpss-linux/lib64 to your list of  binary symbol paths, to resolve libc and other such references.

I still want to write this up for general availability, but hopefully these details will be adequate for you to move on from where you're stuck.

Thanks! I've just created the symlink and pointed vtune in its direction and I'm in business now.

Leave a Comment

Please sign in to add a comment. Not a member? Join today