There is a significant change in the Windows Phone 8.1 webview and apps, compared to the "legacy" Windows Phone 8.0 webview and apps that is the cause of many Windows app crash problems.
- A "legacy" windows phone app is easily recognized as a XAP file.
- A "universal" or "modern" Windows app for Windows Phone has an APPX extension.
- At this time, the XDK Windows Phone 8.1 build tile will build an APPX file using the Cordova "windows" target.
- Legacy XAP apps are built using the Cordova "wp8" target, which is considered obsolete by the Microsoft Cordova project team, and is not currently supported by the XDK build system.
- include this script > https://github.com/xmnboy/xdk-win8x-compat.js
Also, see these forum posts for additional details:
And see these articles for more detailed background regarding the changes to the Windows and Windows Cordova platforms: