Intel XDK Release 3900, March 14, 2017

97 posts / 0 new
Last post
For more complete information about compiler optimizations, see our Optimization Notice.

Hi Paul,

I am primarily using Yosemite. I tried to install 3641 as well, but it is also hanging. One thing i notice in both installations that during installations it shows installing 1/3 components and then suddenly it says installation complete and while installation it shows on 1/2 components to uninstall.

I have installed Node (version v6.9.4) as separate independent install and that is working fine. I am not sure what is happening here because i installed complete OS X 2 times as clean install.

Will you get some clue from the log files which i shared.

Does Intel XDK depend on any type of hardware as well or it just need OS only.

Regards.

Deepak -- the Node.js installed on your system is not used by the XDK, it includes its own copy of Node.js (in this case, a very old 0.12.7 version, type "top.process.versions" at the Simulate console to see the version, but that is being updated in the next release to 7.2.0).

There are no specific hardware requirements for the XDK, Node-Webkit might have some, but the only time I've seen any hardware-specific issues are with the video adapter, which doesn't cause the XDK to crash, but results in strange video behavior (like black and white or odd color casts and resolution problems). These problems are not likely to be the case with your system.

I don't think reinstalling OSX is going to make any difference, I recommend you don't spend too much time doing that.

Are you using a remote or network-mounted disk to store your apps? That can cause problems, especially on Windows machines, but potentially also on a Mac, although I would not expect it to be a problem on a Mac or Linux machine because network-mounted filesystems use the same naming conventions as local filesystems on those operating systems.

The log files are not providing any clues. Are you getting an OSX crash log? If so, that might provide some hints.

As a reference, the installation of 3759 on my machine looks like this:

$ du -chx -d 1 /Applications/Intel XDK/
 12K	/Applications/Intel XDK//.scripts
 26M	/Applications/Intel XDK//Intel XDK Uninstaller.app
441M	/Applications/Intel XDK//Intel XDK.app
467M	/Applications/Intel XDK/
467M	total

And the 3641 install looks like this (I've renamed the name of the app in order to have it installed alongside multiple versions):

$ du -chx -d 1 /Applications/XDK-3641.app/
571M	/Applications/XDK-3641.app//Contents
571M	/Applications/XDK-3641.app/
571M	total

Which should be the same (or very close) for your installations, because the variable bits are stored elsewhere. Are these numbers consistent with what you are seeing?

Hello Paul,

Thank you for the details provided. i checked and my application info is almost same (screenshot attached).

I am not experiencing any OS crashes. Its working smoothly. There is no network drive attached with my machine. I am using the primary OS drive to install the application.

There is nodejs version installed within Intel XDK app content.

Lets hope to have a new release soon. Till them might have to use the VM only.

Thank you once again for your help and time spent on the issue.

Attachments: 

I can't download any app after build. Its said download unsuccessful ... IntelXDK 3759

 

Mahadi -- where are you unable to download from? The final build email that contains links to the download or the download link on the build tile (on the Build tab) or directly on device via the share link (also on the build tile). I am seeing an issue with the build email that you are automatically sent when a build is complete, but the other two methods are working. These two methods are working for me:

Mahadi -- it appears that the problem has to do with too many intel.com cookies in your browser's cookie cache. To fix the problem, clear the "intel.com" cookies from your browser's cookie history.

Instructions for Chrome (obviously, instructions for other browsers will vary):

  • Type "chrome://settings/search#cookies" into the Chrome URL address bar:

     

  • Click the "Content settings..." button:

     

  • Click the "All cookies and site data..." button and then type "intel.com" in the "Search cookies" input box:

     

  • Delete all or some of the cookies that were found as a result of the search, for example, using the "X" icon:

I really love the progress made with intel xdk, but I have noticed a minor error in the new simulate tab. alert() is not able to be used anymore. While I know using alert is not recommended, it is still nice to use for simulation of the notification plugin. It will not make too much of a difference in my project, but it would be nice to know if support will given in the future in the simulate tab. Thank you for your time.

Hi,

Since update 3900 for mac my left command button indent to the left and my right command button indent to the right. As you can imagine almost every key bind i use is a pain in the butt.

Offtopic: A password for my intel account between 8 and 15 characters? Every time i need to login i need to reset my password because my "common" passwords are way longer..

Thanks for the progress, keep the good work up!

Quote:

Michael B. wrote:

I really love the progress made with intel xdk, but I have noticed a minor error in the new simulate tab. alert() is not able to be used anymore. While I know using alert is not recommended, it is still nice to use for simulation of the notification plugin. It will not make too much of a difference in my project, but it would be nice to know if support will given in the future in the simulate tab. Thank you for your time.

I've reported the alert() function issue to engineering.

Quote:

Jur W. wrote:

Since update 3900 for mac my left command button indent to the left and my right command button indent to the right. As you can imagine almost every key bind i use is a pain in the butt.

I do not follow what you mean by "left command button indent to the left" etc. Can you provide more details. I use a Mac and none of my key-bindings have been impacted by the new version, I do not believe any of the key-bindings used by the XDK have been changed with this release. What is the specific key-binding you are referring to?

Quote:

Jur W. wrote:

Offtopic: A password for my intel account between 8 and 15 characters? Every time i need to login i need to reset my password because my "common" passwords are way longer..

Unfortunately, the XDK team does not get to pick the login password policy, that is a corporate-wide policy. 

hi; i have an issue with version 3900.

when i try select a png file from package-assets folder in the Launch Icons and Splash Screens section, appear an alert "the intel xdk was unable to load that file" is this a known bug and is there any solution for this situation? thanks.

 

Edit: Seems it's an known issue (https://software.intel.com/en-us/xdk/docs/release-notes-information-inte...)

To work around this issue, you can reference your icons and splash screen images using the intelxdk.config.additions.xml file. See this sample intelxdk.config.additions.xml file, which is part of the "hello cordova" demo app, for additional information and an example of how this is done. You must still locate your icon and splash screen images within the "package-assets" folder, to insure they will be included with your build package when submitting to our on-line build system or to PhoneGap Build and Cordova CLI.

With this solution, you'll loose simulate capabilities in xdk app. so waiting a hot fix. 

After the update 3900 I am with the following problem, when opening the simulator the xdk displays a modal that was encountered a problem. Attached the log.

Attachments: 

AttachmentSize
Downloadtext/plain Log.txt68.15 KB
Ernani Torquato

Hello, I cannot understand:

Now building with Phonegap export I Produce only one .apk, while before I produced 2 apk (x86 and arm). What's happening?

I have a free account on PhoneGap, Can I still update my app into Stores? (Android/iOs)

And finally, My Android app compiled has not launch icon or splashes now. VERY SAD, I need to update my app on the store

Again when I submit to iTunes, the app is discarded with this motivation:

Missing Info.plist key - This app attempts to access privacy-sensitive data without a usage description. The app's Info.plist must contain an NSCalendarsUsageDescription key with a string value explaining to the user how the app uses this data.

Missing Info.plist key - This app attempts to access privacy-sensitive data without a usage description. The app's Info.plist must contain an NSPhotoLibraryUsageDescription key with a string value explaining to the user how the app uses this data.

Missing Info.plist key - This app attempts to access privacy-sensitive data without a usage description. The app's Info.plist must contain an NSCameraUsageDescription key with a string value explaining to the user how the app uses this data.

Please Help, I know that I still can use Cloud for a while but I want to understand how to set up environment before it's too late.

Thank You

Quote:

aykut y. wrote:

Edit: Seems it's an known issue (https://software.intel.com/en-us/xdk/docs/release-notes-information-inte...)

To work around this issue, you can reference your icons and splash screen images using the intelxdk.config.additions.xml file. See this sample intelxdk.config.additions.xml file, which is part of the "hello cordova" demo app, for additional information and an example of how this is done. You must still locate your icon and splash screen images within the "package-assets" folder, to insure they will be included with your build package when submitting to our on-line build system or to PhoneGap Build and Cordova CLI.

With this solution, you'll loose simulate capabilities in xdk app. so waiting a hot fix. 

You won't lose any simulate capabilities, the Simulate tab does not do anything with your icons and splash screens, it simply runs your HTML5 stuff inside a dedicated Chromium browser window. You'll only see the icons and splash screens when you build your app. For building whether you reference those files using the additions file or the GUI, you'll get the same results.

Quote:

Ernani Torquato wrote:

After the update 3900 I am with the following problem, when opening the simulator the xdk displays a modal that was encountered a problem. Attached the log.

Can you provide a screenshot showing what happens?

Quote:

Alessandro S. wrote:

Now building with Phonegap export I Produce only one .apk, while before I produced 2 apk (x86 and arm). What's happening?

I have a free account on PhoneGap, Can I still update my app into Stores? (Android/iOs)

Build for Crosswalk on PhoneGap Build is different than on the XDK. When you choose to build with Crosswalk PhoneGap build will return only a single APK, so the build preferences in the exported config.xml file are set to deliver a "multi-architecture" APK file that contains both the ARM and the x86 Crosswalk libraries (unzip the APK you get from PhoneGap Build and look for the Crosswalk libraries and you'll see what I mean). Thus, you only need to submit a single APK to the store (because it contains both Crosswalk libraries: ARM and x86).

Quote:

Alessandro S. wrote:

And finally, My Android app compiled has not launch icon or splashes now. VERY SAD, I need to update my app on the store

Sorry, not sure what you mean by this, further details needed to help resolve.

Quote:

Alessandro S. wrote:

Again when I submit to iTunes, the app is discarded with this motivation:

Missing Info.plist key - This app attempts to access privacy-sensitive data without a usage description. The app's Info.plist must contain an NSCalendarsUsageDescription key with a string value explaining to the user how the app uses this data.

Missing Info.plist key - This app attempts to access privacy-sensitive data without a usage description. The app's Info.plist must contain an NSPhotoLibraryUsageDescription key with a string value explaining to the user how the app uses this data.

Missing Info.plist key - This app attempts to access privacy-sensitive data without a usage description. The app's Info.plist must contain an NSCameraUsageDescription key with a string value explaining to the user how the app uses this data.

For the plist issues I suggest you search Stack Overflow for something like "phonegap build missing Info.plist key" and you'll probably find the solution you need. This might require doing some editing of the exported config.xml file. You can also put the required PhoneGap build preferences into the intelxdk.config.additions.xml file and then the exported config.xml file will contain those additions.

Hello by changing variables in plugins I solved the iOs problem.

It remains that one on Android still not solved:

Attached my config.xml (renamed as .txt) generated by XDK and a screenshot of the content of zip file generated to be imported in PhoneGap (icons and splash are inside package-assets folder).

What's wrong?

Attachments: 

AttachmentSize
Downloadimage/png Immagine.png8.31 KB
Downloadtext/plain config.txt8.37 KB

Well I found the problem (BUG) about missing icons and splashes when I compile to PhoneGap

XDK doesn't keep "density" info that is present in xdk configuration file when creates config.xml

I added density info (just copying from intelxdk.config.addistions.xml) to the config.xml file and icons appear!

Fix this please! 

Quote:

Alessandro S. wrote:

Hello by changing variables in plugins I solved the iOs problem.

It remains that one on Android still not solved:

Attached my config.xml (renamed as .txt) generated by XDK and a screenshot of the content of zip file generated to be imported in PhoneGap (icons and splash are inside package-assets folder).

What's wrong?

Do you get an APK with icons and splash screens when you build with the XDK? (for comparison).

Quote:

Paul F. (Intel) wrote:

Quote:

Alessandro S. wrote:

 

Hello by changing variables in plugins I solved the iOs problem.

It remains that one on Android still not solved:

Attached my config.xml (renamed as .txt) generated by XDK and a screenshot of the content of zip file generated to be imported in PhoneGap (icons and splash are inside package-assets folder).

What's wrong?

 

 

Do you get an APK with icons and splash screens when you build with the XDK? (for comparison).

 

yes I found the bug. In config.xml XDK doesn't take density info needed by PhoneGap. I added it manually in config.xml (extract then zipped again) and icons appear!!!

 

and again I notice differences between PhoneGap build and XDK.

 In example there is a ugly intermediate screen before splash with title of the window. I found this solution: adding this to config.xml

<gap:config-file platform="android" parent="/manifest">
    <application android:theme="@android:style/Theme.NoTitleBar"></application>
</gap:config-file>

but phonegap crashes compiling (even without gap: ), it says: malformed xml, but this snippet is for phonegap config file found on internet

Quote:

Alessandro S. wrote:

Quote:

Paul F. (Intel) wrote:

Do you get an APK with icons and splash screens when you build with the XDK? (for comparison).

yes I found the bug. In config.xml XDK doesn't take density info needed by PhoneGap. I added it manually in config.xml (extract then zipped again) and icons appear!!!

Thank you, I have confirmed that this is not working. Despite the fact that Cordova docs say the density is optional, that does not appear to be the case for PhoneGap Buid. :( I have filed a bug report with engineering.

Thank you Paul, do You have idea  for my other question?

Quote:

Alessandro S. wrote:

and again I notice differences between PhoneGap build and XDK.

 In example there is a ugly intermediate screen before splash with title of the window. I found this solution: adding this to config.xml

<gap:config-file platform="android" parent="/manifest">
    <application android:theme="@android:style/Theme.NoTitleBar"></application>
</gap:config-file>

but phonegap crashes compiling (even without gap: ), it says: malformed xml, but this snippet is for phonegap config file found on internet

Alessandro -- I'm not familiar with those specific PhoneGap Build instructions. I recommend you check their documentation to determine if this is still the right thing to do. Many of those special PhoneGap Build directives no longer apply, since they improved their compatibility with standard Cordova CLI during the past year (2016).

You might also try using the latest version of PhoneGap Build for you builds. You can do that by removing the PhoneGap Build CLI version tag (I don't recall the specific name, but it is pretty obvious) from the config.xml file before you submit to PhoneGap Build.

Hello I've tried to compile with latest version (removing cli tag) but while Ios has been complied without errors, android build fails:

Build Date: 2017-03-19 09:07:27 +0000
Subproject Path: CordovaLib
Configuration on demand is an incubating feature.
null
org.xwalk:xwalk_core_library:19+
Incremental java compilation is an incubating feature.
Download https://repo1.maven.org/maven2/com/pushwoosh/pushwoosh/4.6.3/pushwoosh-4...
Download https://repo1.maven.org/maven2/com/pushwoosh/pushwoosh/4.6.3/pushwoosh-4...
:preBuild UP-TO-DATE
:preReleaseBuild UP-TO-DATE
:checkReleaseManifest
:preDebugBuild UP-TO-DATE
:CordovaLib:preBuild UP-TO-DATE
:CordovaLib:preDebugBuild UP-TO-DATE
:CordovaLib:checkDebugManifest
:CordovaLib:prepareDebugDependencies
:CordovaLib:compileDebugAidl
:CordovaLib:compileDebugNdk UP-TO-DATE
:CordovaLib:compileLint
:CordovaLib:copyDebugLint UP-TO-DATE
:CordovaLib:mergeDebugShaders
:CordovaLib:compileDebugShaders
:CordovaLib:generateDebugAssets
:CordovaLib:mergeDebugAssets
:CordovaLib:mergeDebugProguardFiles
:CordovaLib:packageDebugRenderscript UP-TO-DATE
:CordovaLib:compileDebugRenderscript
:CordovaLib:generateDebugResValues
:CordovaLib:generateDebugResources
:CordovaLib:packageDebugResources
:CordovaLib:processDebugManifest
:CordovaLib:generateDebugBuildConfig
:CordovaLib:processDebugResources
:CordovaLib:generateDebugSources
:CordovaLib:incrementalDebugJavaCompilationSafeguard
:CordovaLib:compileDebugJavaWithJavac
:CordovaLib:compileDebugJavaWithJavac - is not incremental (e.g. outputs have changed, no previous execution, etc.).
Note: Some input files use or override a deprecated API.
Note: Recompile with -Xlint:deprecation for details.
:CordovaLib:processDebugJavaRes UP-TO-DATE
:CordovaLib:transformResourcesWithMergeJavaResForDebug
:CordovaLib:transformClassesAndResourcesWithSyncLibJarsForDebug
:CordovaLib:mergeDebugJniLibFolders
:CordovaLib:transformNative_libsWithMergeJniLibsForDebug
:CordovaLib:transformNative_libsWithSyncJniLibsForDebug
:CordovaLib:bundleDebug
:CordovaLib:preReleaseBuild UP-TO-DATE
:CordovaLib:checkReleaseManifest
:CordovaLib:prepareReleaseDependencies
:CordovaLib:compileReleaseAidl
:CordovaLib:compileReleaseNdk UP-TO-DATE
:CordovaLib:copyReleaseLint UP-TO-DATE
:CordovaLib:mergeReleaseShaders
:CordovaLib:compileReleaseShaders
:CordovaLib:generateReleaseAssets
:CordovaLib:mergeReleaseAssets
:CordovaLib:mergeReleaseProguardFiles
:CordovaLib:packageReleaseRenderscript UP-TO-DATE
:CordovaLib:compileReleaseRenderscript
:CordovaLib:generateReleaseResValues
:CordovaLib:generateReleaseResources
:CordovaLib:packageReleaseResources
:CordovaLib:processReleaseManifest
:CordovaLib:generateReleaseBuildConfig
:CordovaLib:processReleaseResources
:CordovaLib:generateReleaseSources
:CordovaLib:incrementalReleaseJavaCompilationSafeguard
:CordovaLib:compileReleaseJavaWithJavac
:CordovaLib:compileReleaseJavaWithJavac - is not incremental (e.g. outputs have changed, no previous execution, etc.).
Note: Some input files use or override a deprecated API.
Note: Recompile with -Xlint:deprecation for details.
:CordovaLib:processReleaseJavaRes UP-TO-DATE
:CordovaLib:transformResourcesWithMergeJavaResForRelease
:CordovaLib:transformClassesAndResourcesWithSyncLibJarsForRelease
:CordovaLib:mergeReleaseJniLibFolders
:CordovaLib:transformNative_libsWithMergeJniLibsForRelease
:CordovaLib:transformNative_libsWithSyncJniLibsForRelease
:CordovaLib:bundleRelease
:prepareBarcodescannerLibrary
:prepareComAndroidSupportCardviewV72340Library
:prepareComAndroidSupportCustomtabs2340Library
:prepareComAndroidSupportSupportCompat2520Library
:prepareComAndroidSupportSupportCoreUi2520Library
:prepareComAndroidSupportSupportCoreUtils2520Library
:prepareComAndroidSupportSupportFragment2520Library
:prepareComAndroidSupportSupportMediaCompat2520Library
:prepareComAndroidSupportSupportV42520Library
:prepareComFacebookAndroidFacebookAndroidSdk4132Library
:prepareComGoogleAndroidGmsPlayServicesBase1020Library
:prepareComGoogleAndroidGmsPlayServicesBasement1020Library
:prepareComGoogleAndroidGmsPlayServicesGcm1020Library
:prepareComGoogleAndroidGmsPlayServicesIid1020Library
:prepareComGoogleAndroidGmsPlayServicesLocation1020Library
:prepareComGoogleAndroidGmsPlayServicesTasks1020Library
:prepareComPushwooshPushwoosh463Library
:prepareOrgXwalkXwalk_core_library19495145Library
:prepareProjectCordovaLibUnspecifiedReleaseLibrary
:prepareReleaseDependencies
:compileReleaseAidl
:compileReleaseRenderscript
:generateReleaseBuildConfig
:mergeReleaseShaders
:compileReleaseShaders
:generateReleaseAssets
:mergeReleaseAssets
:createXwalkCommandLineFileRelease
:generateReleaseResValues
:generateReleaseResources
:mergeReleaseResources
:processReleaseManifest
:processReleaseResources
:generateReleaseSources
:incrementalReleaseJavaCompilationSafeguard
:compileReleaseJavaWithJavac
:compileReleaseJavaWithJavac - is not incremental (e.g. outputs have changed, no previous execution, etc.).
/project/src/org/crosswalk/engine/XWalkWebViewEngine.java:55: error: XWalkWebViewEngine is not abstract and does not override abstract method evaluateJavascript(String,ValueCallback) in CordovaWebViewEngine
public class XWalkWebViewEngine implements CordovaWebViewEngine {
^
Note: Some input files use or override a deprecated API.
Note: Recompile with -Xlint:deprecation for details.
1 error
:compileReleaseJavaWithJavac FAILED

FAILURE: Build failed with an exception.

* What went wrong:
Execution failed for task ':compileReleaseJavaWithJavac'.
> Compilation failed; see the compiler error output for details.

* Try:
Run with --stacktrace option to get the stack trace. Run with --info or --debug option to get more log output.

BUILD FAILED

Total time: 7.706 secs
Error: /project/gradlew: Command failed with exit code 1 Error output:
Note: Some input files use or override a deprecated API.
Note: Recompile with -Xlint:deprecation for details.
Note: Some input files use or override a deprecated API.
Note: Recompile with -Xlint:deprecation for details.
/project/src/org/crosswalk/engine/XWalkWebViewEngine.java:55: error: XWalkWebViewEngine is not abstract and does not override abstract method evaluateJavascript(String,ValueCallback) in CordovaWebViewEngine
public class XWalkWebViewEngine implements CordovaWebViewEngine {
^
Note: Some input files use or override a deprecated API.
Note: Recompile with -Xlint:deprecation for details.
1 error

FAILURE: Build failed with an exception.

* What went wrong:
Execution failed for task ':compileReleaseJavaWithJavac'.
> Compilation failed; see the compiler error output for details.

* Try:
Run with --stacktrace option to get the stack trace. Run with --info or --debug option to get more log output.
at ChildProcess.whenDone (/project/cordova/node_modules/cordova-common/src/superspawn.js:169:23)
at emitTwo (events.js:106:13)
at ChildProcess.emit (events.js:191:7)
at maybeClose (internal/child_process.js:877:16)
at Process.ChildProcess._handle.onexit (internal/child_process.js:226:5)

Really disappointed with the way XDK has gone. 

XDK was a very good all inclusive development package and I have some decent Enterprise Apps working that were developed using XDK. I feel that Intel are letting down their core users by stripping out function and moving to IoT. IoT does not help those that have used XDK since the beginning and are now struggling to find a replacement tool that works in the way XDK did.

I can understand the need for change and that is acceptable, however change need to embrace the community that have supported this project from the start and I for one feel bitterly let down.

I can no longer work on previously created projects they just fail to load well. The lack of Debug facilities is a nightmare. Even if I can get it to work the way I want, the development timescale has increased dramatically.

Nick I'm disappointed too. I also have a couple of apps downloaded thousands of times by users and now I'm scared about what XDK is doing.
I think that XDK will go on working, without building cloud platform, but we will able to use the RAD....at least...I hope it, or we should be let aware clearly by Intel and suggested about how to migrate without pain to some other compatible RAD. I THINK Intel as a serious company.

Quote:

Alessandro S. wrote:

Hello I've tried to compile with latest version (removing cli tag) but while Ios has been complied without errors, android build fails:

Build Date: 2017-03-19 09:07:27 +0000
Subproject Path: CordovaLib

... stuff deleted...

Please start a new thread specific to your issue, and please attach detailed build logs as text file attachments using the "Attach Files to Post" link below the forum edit window. It is very difficult to work with long posts like that. Also, is that build log coming from the XDK build system or PhoneGap Build?

Nick and Alessandro: please read this blog > https://software.intel.com/en-us/blogs/2017/03/03/intel-xdk-february-201... < for some answers regarding why we are changing the XDK.

Alessandro -- sorry, what do you mean by "RAD"?

Please note that the XDK has always created standard Cordova apps, from the very beginning. So building with PhoneGap Build or Cordova CLI results in the identical output. The process may change, but your ability to keep up with the rapidly changing development tools and to get the most from those tools is dramatically improved.

Quote:

Paul F. (Intel) wrote:

Nick and Alessandro: please read this blog > https://software.intel.com/en-us/blogs/2017/03/03/intel-xdk-february-201... < for some answers regarding why we are changing the XDK.

I've already read that post, and I didn't understand what I have to do. The title is "exporting All-In to IoT" but in the article nothing is specified about it, and it's not clear if XDK as we use will be available in the future even if we should use PhoneGap to compile.

 

Quote:

Paul F. (Intel) wrote:

Alessandro -- sorry, what do you mean by "RAD"?

RAD I mean Rapid App Development

Quote:

Paul F. (Intel) wrote:

Please start a new thread specific to your issue, and please attach detailed build logs as text file attachments using the "Attach Files to Post" link below the forum edit window. It is very difficult to work with long posts like that. Also, is that build log coming from the XDK build system or PhoneGap Build?

Hello Paul this is my new thread:

https://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/intel-xdk/topic/721012

 

Quote:

Paul F. (Intel) wrote:

Nick and Alessandro: please read this blog > https://software.intel.com/en-us/blogs/2017/03/03/intel-xdk-february-201... < for some answers regarding why we are changing the XDK.

Alessandro -- sorry, what do you mean by "RAD"?

Please note that the XDK has always created standard Cordova apps, from the very beginning. So building with PhoneGap Build or Cordova CLI results in the identical output. The process may change, but your ability to keep up with the rapidly changing development tools and to get the most from those tools is dramatically improved.

Hi Paul

Have read this and understand the methodology, its just clunky and does increase the work flow timescales because of the constant need to export and compile separately. The restrictions on PhoneGap a frustrating. 25 Private apps is nothing when we are developing Enterprise apps for businesses. What ever we pay Adobe we cannot exceed that number. OK we don't have 25 yet, but we will hit that limit at some point.

Our app's are not for the public domain.

Quote:

Nick F. wrote:

Have read this and understand the methodology, its just clunky and does increase the work flow timescales because of the constant need to export and compile separately. The restrictions on PhoneGap a frustrating. 25 Private apps is nothing when we are developing Enterprise apps for businesses. What ever we pay Adobe we cannot exceed that number. OK we don't have 25 yet, but we will hit that limit at some point.

Our app's are not for the public domain.

Nick -- it is a different flow and will require changes to your current development process. PhoneGap Build does have a web API that can be used to submit a project via a script, which is something you might consider using. We have not utilized that feature in the XDK, although we have considered it, there is no guarantee that we will release a version of the XDK that would utilize it.

If you are developing many enterprise apps you should look into building with Cordova CLI. It's possible to manage multiple versions of Cordova on a build system using this tool > https://www.npmjs.com/package/version-manager-cordova-software < which was created by a former Intel employee. If you choose to go the Cordova CLI route, which is the most flexible, I recommend you start here > https://software.intel.com/en-us/xdk/docs/build-xdk-app-with-phonegap-co... < in the section titled Requirements to Build-with Cordova CLI.

Quote:

Alessandro S. wrote:

I've already read that post, and I didn't understand what I have to do. The title is "exporting All-In to IoT" but in the article nothing is specified about it, and it's not clear if XDK as we use will be available in the future even if we should use PhoneGap to compile.

Unfortunately, company policy does not allow me to comment on future plans and roadmaps in public forums. As that blog indicates (as do many previous blogs and release notes), we are changing our emphasis to be in favor of IoT development. Since there are so many useful tools for mobile app development, we do not feel it is necessary to continue to push the cross-platform mobile app tools boundary, especially when other much more capable tools are available for little or no cost. Instead, our mobile app development role will be focused on supporting the creation of mobile apps that can be used to demonstrate how to interact and work with IoT devices and IoT infrastructure. In other words, mobile is no longer the focus, it will take a "supporting role" to IoT development.

 

Is there anyway to convert the Build package .cli into .apk or is that impossible now?

I got this https://github.com/apache/cordova-cli but it has no program that can be run.

Quote:

James F. wrote:

Is there anyway to convert the Build package .cli into .apk or is that impossible now?

I got this https://github.com/apache/cordova-cli but it has no program that can be run.

Please read carefully the instructions on this doc page > https://software.intel.com/en-us/xdk/docs/build-xdk-app-with-phonegap-co... <

The first part of that doc page contains instructions for using PhoneGap Build and the second part contains instructions for using Cordova CLI. If you are going to use Cordova CLI you will have to read additional instructions, provided by the Apache Cordova project, which are reference in the doc page above.

NOTE: Cordova CLI is a "command-line-interface" tool, meaning there is no UI or web page. It is a tool you use at your command or terminal prompt. If you are not comfortable with such tools you should not be building with Cordova CLI, instead, you should be building with PhoneGap Build.

Move to Visual Studio... 

The other option is:

A) make sure your android device is in developer mode

B) install OneDrive

C) download your built apk from Intel to your local drive

D) copy the apk to OneDrive

E) Open OneDrive on your Android Device and click on the .apk... 

F) Your device will download the file and prompt to install

It's only about 60 seconds longer to do this than the old way.

Hi All,

 

I understand The Build tab's cloud-based Cordova build system will be retired at the end of June, 2017. Say what is my alternative after June 2017? Would Intel re-consider this and keep this as lot of the users still use this functionality.

 

One other thing is when I use the cordova build packge, I can create package (.zip file for iOS and Android)... how do I use Cordova CLI to create .ipa files for iOS and .apk files (armv7 & x86 androids) from the .zip file you create. Or is there is a place where I can take these zip files and create .ipa/.apk files for FREE using other softwares (phoengap, etc.)?

Thanks for your help, as I am a newbie using Intel XDK just learned a few tricks with Intel XDK and now taking away my build features

 

-Ram

Quote:

Ram A. wrote:

I understand The Build tab's cloud-based Cordova build system will be retired at the end of June, 2017. Say what is my alternative after June 2017? Would Intel re-consider this and keep this as lot of the users still use this functionality.

We will not be reconsidering our decision regarding the build system. It will be retired at the end of June, 2017. The export package feature on the build tab will continue to function, allowing you to build using either PhoneGap Build or Cordova CLI. Both can be used for free and both work quite well.

Quote:

Ram A. wrote:

One other thing is when I use the cordova build packge, I can create package (.zip file for iOS and Android)... how do I use Cordova CLI to create .ipa files for iOS and .apk files (armv7 & x86 androids) from the .zip file you create. Or is there is a place where I can take these zip files and create .ipa/.apk files for FREE using other softwares (phoengap, etc.)?

Please read the XDK export package documentation > https://software.intel.com/en-us/xdk/docs/build-xdk-app-with-phonegap-co... < for details.

Wow, this seems like a bitterly disappointing update.

After reading the recommended posts, threads, and release notes, I'm still struggling to understand the situation.

I guess we should start migrating development away from the Intel XDK altogether?

Can you explain how the focus on IoT motivated this change? I don't quite understand what an IoT App is vs a mobile Android, Windows, or iOS App built using the Intel XDK.

Should we be using the Intel XDK IoT version now? is the Intel XDK going to be retired?

Judging from my own confusion, and the apparent confusion of other posters, I'm not sure the messaging behind this update has been well communicated.

Quote:

Keith T. wrote:

I guess we should start migrating development away from the Intel XDK altogether?

Can you explain how the focus on IoT motivated this change? I don't quite understand what an IoT App is vs a mobile Android, Windows, or iOS App built using the Intel XDK.

Please see this post for some help > https://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/intel-xdk/topic/700951#comment-1... < regarding your question about migrating away from the Intel XDK.

Intel offers a variety of software products for little or no cost. In general, the focus of those software products is aligned with the hardware products we produce and the systems in which our hardware is used.

Quote:

Keith T. wrote:

Should we be using the Intel XDK IoT version now? is the Intel XDK going to be retired?

Judging from my own confusion, and the apparent confusion of other posters, I'm not sure the messaging behind this update has been well communicated.

The Intel XDK IoT Edition was merged into the standard Intel XDK with the 3491 release, in August of 2016. See the release notes for more details > https://software.intel.com/en-us/xdk/docs/release-notes-information-inte... < which have consistently provided information regarding reasons behind changes to the product as well as regular links to Joe's blog regarding the future of the product > https://software.intel.com/en-us/blogs/2016/08/01/intel-xdk-update-for-a... <

I'm finding this whole process a mess.

I agree, Intel have posted lots of advice as to how to move forwards, but in my mind they have failed to see how the users will migrate from what I considered and excellent all encompassing development environment to one that frankly is a non starter because of the need to employ separate services. 

Some of us choose XDK because of its simple approach to design and publishing excellent cross platform apps with relative ease, that is now out of the window and the work flow is now horrible. XDK did a good job of checking for missing elements before submitting the build.

I have invested a lot of time and effort with this product as have many others and quite frankly feel let down by Intel over this. I also don't think this is good PR for Intel. I think you will loose out because people will be reluctant to invest time and effort in what XDK has now become for fear you  will do this again in the future.

Hi all,

I'm not worry about replacing tools for testing, debugging or build, is just a matter of put some time on setup and learning. Only once time.

My most important fear is if Intel will deprecate from XDK in the future the DESIGN section and the features mentioned here:

https://software.intel.com/en-us/intel-xdk/details#responsive

I spend most of my time designing the forms and coding. The tools for this are what I haven't find anywhere else, I can mockup an app in a matter of minutes, change its visual appearance very easily or modify the forms adding or moving UI controls very quickly. The linking between controls and its events is great. And also the STYLES manager.

These are things that I will really miss.

Best wishes,

Diego

 

Paul,

>> We will not be reconsidering our decision regarding the build system. <<

Just like everyone else, I find this to be really disappointing, and may I add that Intel's decision is ruining the Intel XDK program and IDE. It is a step backward, and as you can see, created a lot of negative reactions and it seems you (Intel) are doing this based sole on your reasoning, not based on what developers see as valuable features; the alternatives work-arounds are cumbersome and not productive.
The "Build" tab is the most important feature for me!

 

Pages

Leave a Comment

Please sign in to add a comment. Not a member? Join today