C5 doesn't read my tag

C5 doesn't read my tag

Hello,

I want to develop software for the Motion Computing C5 and I am currently testing if the used tags will work with it (by pressing the RFID button). We use ISO15693 tags.

With another device (not from Motion Computing) which uses a rifd reader from microsensys they do work. The C5 seems to recognize them (as the tag id appears in the log), but it displays "no tags found". In the logfile I can see that the tag is read, but it seems that an error occured. But I don't know how to solve this problem:

[from MCA.txt logfile]
R [12/08/06 21:52:54.531] {S0-P2984-T3740} [HDF] Process name={C:ProgrammeIntelMCABinIntelHealthcareToolTray.exe} id={2984} attached.
R [12/08/06 21:52:54.609] {S0-P2984-T3740} [PCF] Loaded {Device Control}. Plugin Version {1.0.0.9504}, Driver Version {4200}, Firmware Version {A05}.
R [12/08/06 21:52:54.921] {S0-P2984-T3740} [PCF] Loaded {RFID Device}. Plugin Version {1.0.0.9504}, Driver Version {1.0.0.9504}, Firmware Version {Firmware Version 2.1M >}.
E [12/08/06 21:52:55.046] {S0-P2984-T3764} [RF_PLUGIN] RFID15693:: ParseSystemInfo: Response error for Tag 64B85F00000005E0, error code(01)
E [12/08/06 21:52:55.078] {S0-P2984-T3764} [RF_PLUGIN] GetTagInfo: GetTagInfo failed
W [12/08/06 21:52:55.093] {S0-P2984-T3764} [RF_PLUGIN] RfidPluginImpl::RfidPluginInterfaceImpl::GetTagInfo() FAILED: PS_Error
E [12/08/06 21:53:04.984] {S0-P2984-T3740} [ButtonHandler] RfidButtonHandler::CaptureData: Tag cannot be found in the specified time
E [12/08/06 21:53:05.015] {S0-P2984-T3740} [ButtonHandler] HandleButton: err=-3
E [12/08/06 21:53:05.015] {S0-P2984-T3740} [TTA] Error from DefaultHandler HandleButton:;DATA#-3
E [12/08/06 21:53:05.015] {S0-P2984-T3740} [TTA] Error from mBtnHandMgr.HandleButton: ;DATA#-44
E [12/08/06 21:53:33.343] {S0-P3856-T3860} [TTA] IntelHealthcareToolTray already running, not starting again.
R [12/08/06 21:53:46.046] {S0-P2984-T3888} [PCF] Loaded {RFID Device}. Plugin Version {1.0.0.9504}, Driver Version {1.0.0.9504}, Firmware Version {Firmware Version 2.1M >}.

The other device had this configuration for the tags:
RF-Timeout = 4900 ms
Interface 13,56 Mhz
Type: ISO15693/UNIQUE Sys

What do I have to change in the IntelHealthcare.cfg so that my tags will work? The proper protocol type is set (RF-ProtocolList = 1).

Thanks,
Jan

18 posts / 0 new
Last post
For more complete information about compiler optimizations, see our Optimization Notice.

Hi Jan

The MCA software will support the 15693 tags by default. If you look at the log file, the software attempts to read the tag but then times out. Assuming the tags are good, and you are holding them close enough to the RFID reader (1-2 inches), they should work. Do you have more than one C5 to test with? I am wondering if it is just a problem with the RFID reader in the C5.

Could you send me your MCA configuration file and the complete log file showing the failure? You can zip the filesup and attach the zip file in your forum reply. When you reply, look for the "optoins" tab at the top of the reply screen to attach the file.

Thanks,
Steve

Hi,

thanks for your answer. The tags do work, as an other device (not one from Motion Computing) can read them. I'm afraid I have only one C5 to test with, but I also sent an email to the technical support of Motion Computing but they havent't answered yet.

I attached the archive with the desired files.

Thanks,
Jan

Attachments: 

AttachmentSize
Downloadapplication/zip intel.zip76.64 KB

Thanks Jan for posting the files. I'll take a look and see if there is some clue as to what is happening. Good idea contacting Motion as well. Let me know what their input is when you hear from them.

Thanks,

Steve

Hi,

I don't have an answer from the Motion Computing support yet, but something you might find useful. I just tested a tool from Texas Instruments which uses the TI rfid driver directly on the C5 (it's called "TRF7960 EVM Control") and this tool reads the tags correctly. So the problem must be within the MCA I guess.
If you know this tool: I did not change any settings except the Data Coding Mode (standard: "1 out of 4", changed to "1 out of 256").
Hope this might help you finding the problem.

Jan

Thanks Jan for the update. We have a developer looking at it right now. I'll keep you updated as we make progress.

-Steve

HiJan,

Would it be possible for you togive usa sample of the RFID tag, or tell us where we can get one, or even the vendor name? It looks like we are going to needa tag to test withto duplicate and root cause the issue.

Thanks,

Steve

Hi Steve,

as I am in germany and the tags are only borrowed from our customer it's not so easy to give you a sample. But our customer sent me today the specification of the tags they use:

Transponder DM13.63.550Q43-TAGspecial 2k System:ILD-2000-M Read/write Transponder, 2kbit EEPROM, on metal printed "RFID" red
Dimension: 43 * 27 * 3 mm

Transponder DM12.32.550/200 D14-TAGspecial 2k System:ILD-2000-M Read/write Transponder, 2kbit EEPROM, on metal
4035 label printed "iLD"
Dimension: D 14 mm * 2,5 mm

I have the first mentioned tags for testing. Hope the given information helps you finding the problem. The motion computing support got also this information today as they couldn't help me yet without this information.

Thanks,
Jan

Hi Jan,

Unfortunately we are not able to determine the issue with the tag info you provided. We will need to obtain one of these tags to test with to root cause the issue. Could you please provide one for us or tell us where we can obtain one?

Also, we are coordinating thisinvestigation with Motion Computing and will share the info between us on this issue.

Thanks,
Steve

Hi,

the tags are manufactured by microsensys, perhaps they could help you finding the problem by sending you some tags or giving you the specification.

Jan

Thanks Jan. Do you which specific tag is in use? They have several versions (D7, MIC3, Q43, Labels, etc.)and we would like to make sure we get the correct one(s) to test with.

-Steve

Hi,

it seems they use Q43-TAGspecial tags, as they have the correct specifications.
Our customer told me that he will send me some tags which I can forward to you, so it would be nice if you could tell me where I have to send the tags (address etc).

Hope that will help you.

Bye,
Jan

Thanks Jan. We'll get some samples ordered today.

-Steve

Hi Jan,

The Microsensys tags are not implementing a standard 15693 command as far as we can tell. The Get System Info call is a standard 15693 call, and it is returning an error code that the call isnt supported. Because we make this call to get the block size and number of blocks on the tag before we do reads and writes, these tags will not work with our MCA software. If they set Pre-read mode to off, which means that we dont read the data portion of the tag by default, but just the UID portion, then we will get the UIDs, but we wont be able to read any data on the tag other than that.

In the MCA software we send a command Get System info which returns the number of blocks and size of each block for the tag. This command should be successful for read and write operations for the tag but it is not required to read the UID of the Tag. For the Microsensys 15693 tag, this command (Get System info) is failing. The MCA error code (01) means that it is not a supported tag. To verify this was not just an issue with the MCA software, we have verified the same results occur with the TI RFID application TRF7960.exe (Request mode [0101]). Please see attached snapshot for more details.

One way to work around this is to use the MCA API calls instead of the MCA default action. For example: If using MCA C APIs call RF_SetPreReadMode with false value before calling RF_StartScan, and then call RF_GetTagId to get the tags UID.

Thanks,
Steve

Hi Steve,

thanks for your answer.
Would it be possible with this MCA C API to have read/write access to the tags or is it just possible to get the tag's UID?
As I wrote before, I could read/write the tags's data with the TRF7960.exe, maybe I chose the correct settings (see my post from 02-26-2008). But I don't know if the MCA C API has these options included.
If the possibility exists to have read/write access, is there any documentation of the MCA C API?

Thanks,
Jan

Hi Jan,

The MCA software is only able to to read tags UID as implemented today. In the current MCA plug-in implementation, before reading the tag data, we call the command Get System info to get the tags size and other details. Because that is failing, the MCA software does not proceed further to read the tag.

I checked with our developers to see if there was another way, but unfortunately they are saying there is no way around this unless we change the existing implementation in RFID plug-in architecture in the MCA software.

Thanks,

Steve

Hi Steve,

I talked with our customer about this problem and he has taken into account to buy new tags which implement more features. As far as I know, ISO15693 tags just have 2 mandatory commands and 13 optional commands.
If our customer wants to buy other (new) tags, what must he pay attention to that the tags are future-proof?
They have thousands of tags and they don't want to replace them from time to time just because a new device implements a command they don't support. Can you tell me what optional commands are important in the future? Or can you even recommend tags from a specific manufacturer?

Thanks for your help,
Jan

Hi Jan,

The MCA software supports full read and write functionality for ISO15693 compliant tags. So as long as they are ISO15693 compliant, he should be fine.

-Steve

Leave a Comment

Please sign in to add a comment. Not a member? Join today